Which type of grass to use

Closed Thread
Old 02-13-2010, 10:06 AM
Default Which type of grass to use

Are there rules on what type of grass I can plant in front of my house?

It seems crazy to have the current type - which needs regular watering and is susceptible to all sorts of bugs - when a native species would be much better suited

Actually, I would prefer not to have grass at all - there are plenty of low-level evergreen plants that need hardly any maintenance and look great. Would I be banished from TV for planting these instead?
Old 02-13-2010, 10:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermuda View Post

It seems crazy to have the current type - which needs regular watering and is susceptible to all sorts of bugs - when a native species would be much better suited

Actually, I would prefer not to have grass at all - there are plenty of low-level evergreen plants that need hardly any maintenance and look great. Would I be banished from TV for planting these instead?
I am not sure, but you should check with the Architectural Review Committee first.

There are two kinds of grass that I have seen. Sticky on bare feet and regular. We have the unsticky and we haven't had problems at all. We water as allowed, twice a week, which isn't much, I don't think. If you tell your lawn guy to guard against grubs, than that isn't a problem. None of us has much yard.

Then you have the birds that have recently visited....I don't know what they are called and they stick their long beaks in the lawn and eat some kind of bugs.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermuda View Post

I know, with the water issues here in TV it would be nice to be able to have a low maintenance type lawn with little or no grass. But, depending on where in TV you live, I believe there are deed restrictions that state you must have so much grass on your lot, I think it is a percentage, say 70% for example. So yes, the Villages Banishment committee would probably have something to say!

There are 2 types of grass available as Gracie stated - St. Augustine and Zoysia. Zoysia is chinch bug resistant, whereas the St. Augustine can be hit pretty hard by chinch bugs. I think in all the new areas they are putting in the Zoysia. I also believe it is more drought resistant.

Anyways, you do want to check with the Architectural review group. Also, if you plant one type of grass and your neighbors have some other type, it will just be a matter of time before the grasses intermingle. I don't think it will do you any good to switch, in the long run.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:58 AM
Default Grassed off

Thanks for your advice

I'll have to ask GracieGirl to send over some of her grub-eating birds
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.