ultimate resolution to dog poop problem

Closed Thread
Old 09-24-2013, 11:17 AM

ARGHHHHHHH!!!!!!

When I come down there for the winter and eventually move there permanently, I promise I will do my best to contain my little 10 lb dog. I would never do anything intentionally rude, I will just have to retrain myself to understand that what I don't think is rude or irresponsible, others do.

So please (especially if you live in Sanibel) just politely tell me if I or my dog does something that bothers you. As I said in a previous post, 99% of the time when he lifts his leg to pee, there is nothing there it is just instinct when they smell the scent of another animal.

Now I will go back to watching the two chipmunks that are having a party on my front porch in Michigan
Old 09-24-2013, 11:26 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
I think this sums up the crux of the matter:
"We loved and enjoyed our pets but never expected others to enjoy or even tolerate them." (by dotti105)
Just because TV is an exceedingly dog-friendly community, it doesn't mean everybody should provide their property as a canine toilet for those who refuse to use their own property as one.
You want to talk toilet, catch some of your sprinkler water and check it out.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty55 View Post
You want to talk toilet, catch some of your sprinkler water and check it out.
I know! It is literally toilet water.

But we have a shut-off and control panel in the garage. We don't have to run the sprinklers!

Besides that, we all know that some dog pee on a yard isn't earth-shattering. The crux is the entitled ATTITUDE of "what's yours is mine" that is growing throughout this society.

Here in TV that attitude seems to get magnified by the density of population.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
I think this sums up the crux of the matter:
"We loved and enjoyed our pets but never expected others to enjoy or even tolerate them." (by dotti105)
Just because TV is an exceedingly dog-friendly community, it doesn't mean everybody should provide their property as a canine toilet for those who refuse to use their own property as one.
The statement "it doesn't mean EVERYBODY should provide their property as a canine toilet" is hugely exaggerating the situation. This topic gets so blown out of proportion that even people who don't live in The Villages are writing about it as a problem.

I'm not defending people who don't pick up after their pets, no excuse for that. But offending pet owners are a very small percentage of the good, decent, responsible, respectful pet owners. Let's not tar everyone with the same brush!
Old 09-24-2013, 12:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
The statement "it doesn't mean EVERYBODY should provide their property as a canine toilet" is hugely exaggerating the situation. This topic gets so blown out of proportion that even people who don't live in The Villages are writing about it as a problem.

I'm not defending people who don't pick up after their pets, no excuse for that. But offending pet owners are a very small percentage of the good, decent, responsible, respectful pet owners. Let's not tar everyone with the same brush!
You are right. By "everybody" I meant that the offenders seem to think they are entitled to use "everybody's" yard.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by janieb View Post
ARGHHHHHHH!!!!!!

When I come down there for the winter and eventually move there permanently, I promise I will do my best to contain my little 10 lb dog. I would never do anything intentionally rude, I will just have to retrain myself to understand that what I don't think is rude or irresponsible, others do......
Most dog owners do try their best to restrain their dogs. What many of us here see a problem with is the owners (right here on this board) who claim they can't help it if their 10 lb. dog (or 150 lb. one) goes onto somebody's yard, or that "my dog won't doo it in our yard.....he needs to explore and will only doo it in such and such a place....".

No Dog Whisperer or other effective dog trainer would give credence to that baloney. They require training and everyday discipline, which takes effort by the owner.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:28 PM

So that I am not banished, let me know majority opinion. Can I take my little dog for a walk down the street and if she poops about one foot in someones yard, and I pick it up, is that ok? I mean will someone poison her??????I have never heard anything like this. Did I come to a place that your grass must stay clean, I would think the rain would wash most pee away. This sounds like some serious stuff.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

If you are really interested in the hot TOTV topic of dog poop and cannot wait till the repetitive posts are posted.......you can relive some (but not all) of past threads on this exiciting subject.
There are more/or less 597 posts............with many being duplication of opinion.......for your reading pleasure.

I love dogs, but owners are another thing

Sign to keep dogs off lawn in Hillsborough

Sunset Point bad dog owner

Liability for trespassers on Villagers' lawns.

Pee and Poop survey

Dog walkers
Old 09-24-2013, 02:49 PM

I will not dare read those posts...just the sound of the Posts makes me feel a little sad. I am a rule follower, we will ask before pooping.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcgirl View Post
So that I am not banished, let me know majority opinion. Can I take my little dog for a walk down the street and if she poops about one foot in someones yard, and I pick it up, is that ok? I mean will someone poison her??????I have never heard anything like this. Did I come to a place that your grass must stay clean, I would think the rain would wash most pee away. This sounds like some serious stuff.
No it's not ok, to allow your dog on someone's property. I would hope no one would poision your dog because it would not be the dogs fault.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
There are SOME people in The Villages that would prefer your dog not poop on any part of their lawn no matter how diligent you might be about picking it up. Sooooo my dogs have now learned that if they have to poop while we are walking they just do it in the street which to me is disgusting - much less offensive if on a lawn, but what are you gonna do??? So always have bags in your pocket and your dog will try and pull you to the grass to do her business, but if you keep her in the street she will eventually get it. Mine even pee in the street now if they need to go. Gross, but what are you gonna do - dogs do their business when they feel like doing their business
no matter how much you walk them in your yard first. Doesn't matter 'cause I love them to death!
Old 09-24-2013, 03:21 PM
Sage

gomoho, you must have a way long way to go to an ok spot for the pets. I often take my dog in the car or cart and will doubtless do so more often the lots are all built out. your post is the most wholly responsible neighbor and dedicated dog person post I've seen in all the million I must have read.

Last edited by kittygilchrist; 09-24-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:30 PM
Default You City Folks

Y'all crack me up!
Old 09-24-2013, 03:53 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
A couple of threads ago there was some guy yucking it up that his friend baited meat with x-lax for dogs that went in his yard.

Yes, sadly, you have come to a place where people "love their lawn". The good thing is that most of them are lacking in verbal skills and instead bash and demean on the internet.

I have no dog in this fight, mine go in the yard and town square. I like to multi-task and in this way they can do there business in an unpolluted nontoxic environment and save chairs at the same time It's a win/win situation.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:57 PM
Gold member

I lived in NYC, millions of dogs there. When people who live in apartments take fido out for their walk, the dogs go just off the curb in the street, most of the time. You just pick it up. You will also see signs telling you so. If you are caught not obeying the law, , you will be fined.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.