Old 09-29-2023, 05:46 AM

Google DIY led installation
Look for Home solution. He does a lot of led installs
Old 09-29-2023, 06:53 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
Agree extremely tacky. But it’s not my home.
True.
There’s no accounting for taste.
De gustibus no est disputandum.
Chacun à son gôut.
Old 09-29-2023, 07:46 AM

Liquid Lights. Good workers. Good product.
Old 09-29-2023, 02:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyg View Post
Liquid Lights. Good workers. Good product.
They are excellent but like everything else in The Villages, overpriced. My last experience with them was long ago (~6yrs) when we first moved in. Ended up doing what they wanted $250 for for $19. Obviously one must be able to DIY this stuff or be stuck paying "The Villages Vig". "Service businesses" down here are most usually overpriced because they know most/many folks can't DIY or don't care how much they pay. I wish I was in the "don't care what I pay" group but I really enjoy DIY. Obviously some folks just can't DIY due to health reasons and sadly they are the ones who most often get taken advantage of.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 09-29-2023, 04:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,279 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
They are excellent but like everything else in The Villages, overpriced. My last experience with them was long ago (~6yrs) when we first moved in. Ended up doing what they wanted $250 for for $19. Obviously one must be able to DIY this stuff or be stuck paying "The Villages Vig". "Service businesses" down here are most usually overpriced because they know most/many folks can't DIY or don't care how much they pay. I wish I was in the "don't care what I pay" group but I really enjoy DIY. Obviously some folks just can't DIY due to health reasons and sadly they are the ones who most often get taken advantage of.
Is no one in TV capable of saying, "That's too expensive, you've got to do better"?

I can't think of a single service we've had where we didn't negotiate the price down a bit. Painting, electrical work, etc...

-Tom Petty
Old 09-29-2023, 06:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,160 Times in 2,252 Posts

To the OP there are several items you listed that I have not seen combined, I am not sure any of the local electrical firms are doing what you are looking for. If you are interested in a DIY system, I think I can guide you through the process of getting material, and then I could help you install, or I could possibly do the install if we find a combination of pieces that do what you want. Let me know.
Old 09-30-2023, 11:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Is no one in TV capable of saying, "That's too expensive, you've got to do better"?

I can't think of a single service we've had where we didn't negotiate the price down a bit. Painting, electrical work, etc...
I always look at it like buying a car (especially around here). If they do that (drop price) immediately and without argument, you are still paying way too much! .

Had shutters done a couple years ago and went through the "can you do any better" routine and the guy says "sure, I'll drop it $200" (was around $2K) Then he called me a week later after I didn't get back to him and said "his boss told him he could do it for $500 less." I told him I already contracted for a lot less than his "bosses" deal. Yea, the quality was the same.

But you are right, if one doesn't ask, they get nothing but even with that most are still paying "The Villages Premium".
Old 10-01-2023, 12:54 PM
Default Wyze LED Pro strips

Check these out. The 'Pro' version has a chip every 3 LEDS and can do 16 RGB colors a strip according to their specs (out of 16 million).Trimable, music mode, sun match, app and voice control. Use their lighting but have not installed the strips I bought yet.

Wyze Light Strip Pro | For Kitchen, TV, Bathroom, and More
– Wyze Labs, Inc
Old 10-01-2023, 02:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,160 Times in 2,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher View Post
Check these out. The 'Pro' version has a chip every 3 LEDS and can do 16 RGB colors a strip according to their specs (out of 16 million).Trimable, music mode, sun match, app and voice control. Use their lighting but have not installed the strips I bought yet.

– Wyze Labs, Inc
I looked at the reviews and the 1 and 2 star reviews were not good. I also noticed on the product description it said EPOXY coating, all of the others I have seen are SILICONE coating, epoxy is very brittle. looks sketchy to me.
Old 10-01-2023, 05:04 PM
Sage

Quote:

– Wyze Labs, Inc
A very "Wyze" suggestion.
Old 10-02-2023, 07:17 AM

Quote:

– Wyze Labs, Inc
In order of capability...
White or one color only
Choice of color, only one per strip
Choice of color, only one per section
Choice of color, any random color for every LED

Controller additional capabilities choices...
IR remote control for all features
Motion sense
Wireless network control capable
- phone
- alexa
- home automation (such as hubitat) programming and action rules
- vendor's app

LED strip features...
Waterproof silicon coating, with IP 67 rating (or better)
Adhesive tape (3m VHB) mounting
Can be cut
- at fixed locations, far apart
- at every X number of LEDs
- between any LED
Density of LEDs, aka spacing.
- One LED per N inches is not as good as several LEDs per inch.
- Close spacing looks more even, and typically is brighter
Overall lumens per foot. More is better. Compare power requirements per foot.
- What generation of LEDs are used. Older cannot show purple, pink, green very well, or as bright as reds.

Wyze is a cheap choice. It does not have most features that a high quality system has. Trade price for quality & performance.
Wyze also has a bed reputation for lousy wifi connectivity. People are constantly complaining about how things drop offline. Wyze blames customer's network, yet everything else works fine. The loudest complaints are about their cameras because those are most obvious.
Closed Thread

Tags
cabinet, lighting, puck, set, color

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.