Unhappy Villagers

Closed Thread
Old 07-29-2015, 09:22 AM
Veteran member

Some people have a hard time living with themselves, regardless of where they are.. being from a rural lake area of Minnesota, where most people retire to Arizona, the only drawback in TV is where homes are too close together. Our rental in Quail Ridge is at the end of the street, with only one neighbor Carol who is very sweet. From the hot tub we look out on the Lopez golf course..nice!
Old 07-29-2015, 09:26 AM
Location: Village of Hillsborough. (Past) Gilbertsvile, PA and Philadelphia, PA

I'm very happy living in The Villages
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	53653  
Old 07-29-2015, 09:30 AM
Platinum member
Default Happy here?

I wonder if they were also unhappy where they previously lived. Hard to imagine being retired, living in a clean safe community with so many possible activities and not be happy.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:34 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

In our experiences of living here for about 2 and half years we haven't met but maybe 3 people that were unhappy with the villages. Anywhere you go you will find unhappy people and malcontents. Some are unhappy no matter where they are. As for me, I'm just as happy as if I had good sense!
Old 07-29-2015, 09:58 AM
Sage

This is a wonderful place to live. I think many older people become unhappy because of pain, illness, loss of a loved one, missing family, etc. These factors would affect them no matter where they lived, but if you have to be miserable, sunshine is just what you need for brightening up your day. And we have it!
Old 07-29-2015, 10:10 AM
Gold member

I am not happy about the golf here. I have been playing since 1953, and this is the first place I have played regularly that doesn't have empowered marshals.

Aside from that, the only thing I don't like about living here is the downsizing aspect. Back in Rooster Poot, I had a fully equipped metal fabricating shop and lots of toys...I miss them all.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:16 AM
Gold member

I love it here but I must admit I am a little concerned about the expansion of TV and the limited resources. I think it will be snow bird season year round once the so called build out is done.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:42 AM
Eternal Member

I hate it here !! The golf courses are awful ! They have yet to let me get a hole in one !! LOL
Actually, we've been here over 15 years and we "LOVE" it here. I could never imagine living anywhere else!
Old 07-29-2015, 10:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken View Post
I am not happy about the golf here. I have been playing since 1953, and this is the first place I have played regularly that doesn't have empowered marshals.

Aside from that, the only thing I don't like about living here is the downsizing aspect. Back in Rooster Poot, I had a fully equipped metal fabricating shop and lots of toys...I miss them all.
The woodshop is great and I used to be a shop teacher. I do wonder what it would be like to have a metal shop too. I've given up on making furniture. It's truly a labor of love meant for people who love the working with wood. It's rare that a piece looks as good as store bought.

But the fixes I need to make or the projects I dream up seem to be more metal working then wood. Just a minor thought not to be taken seriously. some people would put legs on a snake,
Old 07-29-2015, 10:56 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken View Post

Boy, it's all relative. We moved here after 19 yrs in a 1100 sq ft condo. I had to rent a 12x24 garage bay for my workshop. Now it is right out through the kitchen door.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:02 AM

The fact of the matter is that there is no other place like this in the rest of the world!! We have everything.....2,500 clubs.....all filled up with happy folks doing EXACTLY what they want to do. Our new performing arts center is spectacular! What sport do you want to try? What music do you want to listen to or participate in? What service do you want to participate in? ETC IT'S ALL HERE!! The greatest majority of people in the Villages areextremely happy. Most of us wish that we had moved here sooner.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:15 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy View Post
Boy, it's all relative. We moved here after 19 yrs in a 1100 sq ft condo. I had to rent a 12x24 garage bay for my workshop. Now it is right out through the kitchen door.
I just don't think the neighbors would like to hear me pounding steel into shape and I am pretty sure State Farm would get a little grumpy about the welder and cutting torch.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:11 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy View Post
Wow. I also moved here after 19 years in an 1100 sq ft. condo (with no garage). I also had neighbors I didn't know... no activities... and a trip through bad neighborhoods if I had to go somewhere.
Now I have a bigger house with a garage... great neighbors... lots to do.
I couldn't be happier.

Slaughter on 10th Avenue (and more) -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMo6w...gbuFRTT06nS9pn
Old 07-29-2015, 12:44 PM
Veteran member

I'm not gonna do it, but my guess is that if you searched the post history of everyone here who has shared their happiness, there would be a few complaints scattered around. A hearty bitchfest once in a while doesn't necessarily mean people are unhappy, either with TV or their lives in general.

But people do leave -- 2 on my street moved out of TV to nearby cities last year because they were dissatisfied for one reason or another.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:19 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
Based on TOTV and the online news comments/letters, there seem to be a lot of unhappy TVers. Could it be disillusionment in the reality of living here versus the vacation lifestyle visit that sold them on TV? Could it be TV changing from the "friendliest village" to just another overcrowded municipal area with a lot of stressed out people competing for limited resources? Or maybe, it has to do with world politics and global unrest. It's just a sense I have. I'm not sure it even exists. Just wondering if others sense this undercurrent of discontent.
outlaw: you will never get a satisfactory answer. I happened to agree with your assessment. You should bear in mind that marketing is what The Villages Lake-Sumter, Inc. (TVLSI) (Developer) are best at. In fact that packaged it and offered it out to other communities (Developers) for a hefty price.

That's why you find references to The Villages being an adult Disneyworld or Florida's Friendliest Hometown"or Florida's Healthiest Town or build you dream home all marketing I believe this type of marketing hype actually hurts more than it helps in the long run because it sets unrealistic expectations.

I built my dream home in the Minneapolis area. I left Minneapolis area which I loved for two main reasons snow and taxes. But, thankfully I didn't leave family behind. I know many people who moved here that miss their families and go back often because of that fact either as snow birds or even full time residents.

The sheen wears off this place quickly and I for one accept it as to what it is to me and that was an investment which my kids can use or sell as this so wish because after 9 years I still could not recoup my investment and make a reasonable profit and I live on a champion golf course. To be sure it is a safe place and a clean place and most people I find are friendly and my kids enjoy their visits.
Closed Thread

Tags
lot, sense, unhappy, politics, world, people, resources, limited, competing, global, wondering, discontent, undercurrent, exists, unrest, village, tvers, disillusionment, living, reality, comments/letters, based, villagers, totv, online

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.