Courtyard Villa Patio Umbrella--any tips?

Old 05-05-2024, 05:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,943 Times in 796 Posts
Default Courtyard Villa Patio Umbrella--any tips?

Our patio in our 2011 CYV faces in such a direction that the sun comes in till about 7 pm or so. We'd like to be able to block it with a tiltable, large-ish patio umbrella--not one in a patio table, but one that would sit on the side and block a large portion of the patio.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this situation, and what size would you recommend. I'm thinking 9 x 12 cantilevered. Is that too big?
The patio lounge chairs are directly in front of the lanai; the table and chairs are on the right in that little extended area, and the sun comes in from the right as you're sitting in the lounge chairs and covers the whole table and chairs.

Thanks for any opinions/experience.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	patio.jpg
Views:	1780
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	103997  
Old 05-05-2024, 06:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,628 Times in 598 Posts

Is that a sunsetter or something like that. At the cottage up north we have one and ordered a removable shade that attaches to the end. We also had screen that we could attach to be bug free at night.

Not sure it would work but worth a try.

Other than that an offset umbrella that is oblong can be found on amazon might work and is movable
Old 05-05-2024, 10:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,031 Times in 2,520 Posts

Watch weather approaching thunderstorms winds can do havoc. So, I would close the umbrella when storms are approaching. I’d also roll up that awning.

I came from okieland most weather down here like stiff breeze compared to what supercell can do. But still straight line winds here might have enough strength to tip over or lift out of back yard?
Old 05-06-2024, 08:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,291 Times in 5,457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Watch weather approaching thunderstorms winds can do havoc. So, I would close the umbrella when storms are approaching. I’d also roll up that awning.

I came from okieland most weather down here like stiff breeze compared to what supercell can do. But still straight line winds here might have enough strength to tip over or lift out of back yard?
The problem is go out for the day with no prediction of storm and open umbrella gets launched. Thinking something that has a strong anchor
Old 05-06-2024, 09:05 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,628 Times in 598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
The problem is go out for the day with no prediction of storm and open umbrella gets launched. Thinking something that has a strong anchor
Or just raise umbrella when one uses it. The pool umbrella only gets opened when we are needing shade. Keeps the fabric in better shape lasting longer.
Old 05-06-2024, 09:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,366 Times in 2,318 Posts

If you go the sunbrella route there are models that will automatically close when wind it detected, a neighbor has one, works nice.
Old 05-06-2024, 10:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,929 Times in 5,335 Posts

If you buy a name brand, they may refer you to an installer. Make sure that you get a firm price in advance from the installer because they charge a huge amount for a very little amount of work. They may charge $1,500 to install an umbrella that takes less than an hour to install. You are better off if you can find an independent installer or a handyman to install the umbrella.
Old 05-06-2024, 01:01 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,993 Times in 767 Posts

Get a Sunbrella awning you will be able to retract in and their storm shackled automatically retracks when excess wind movement, fully adjustable.
Old 05-07-2024, 06:41 AM

Would a 3-point (triangular) shade sail work for you? They're beautiful and help define your space.
Old 05-07-2024, 07:41 AM
Sage

OP here... The shade is retractable, and we've never left it open when we go out. Even if we extended it to the end of the house, it would not block the sun. The umbrella would be closed when not in use. I'm looking into remote control shades. I just need an idea as to what size we would need.
Old 05-07-2024, 08:18 AM
Default Mine works great!

Got mine from Wayfair and a base that holds water. Make sure you get a cover because the sun is brutal on it. Cover and secure to pole when not in use.
Old 05-07-2024, 08:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyralud View Post
Got mine from Wayfair and a base that holds water. Make sure you get a cover because the sun is brutal on it. Cover and secure to pole when not in use.
Thank you. What size did you get, and where do you use it?
Old 05-07-2024, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Our patio in our 2011 CYV faces in such a direction that the sun comes in till about 7 pm or so. We'd like to be able to block it with a tiltable, large-ish patio umbrella--not one in a patio table, but one that would sit on the side and block a large portion of the patio.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this situation, and what size would you recommend. I'm thinking 9 x 12 cantilevered. Is that too big?
The patio lounge chairs are directly in front of the lanai; the table and chairs are on the right in that little extended area, and the sun comes in from the right as you're sitting in the lounge chairs and covers the whole table and chairs.

Thanks for any opinions/experience.
We did the same thing at our CYV between the villas. Our afternoon sun was brutal. This works great. It does rock in wind so never leave it up when not there. We filled the base with 175 lbs. of play sand. Purchased the 10' umbrella and stand on Amazon.

Last edited by PenMarie; 05-07-2024 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Can't attach pictures
Old 05-07-2024, 09:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenMarie View Post
We did the same thing at our CYV between the villas. Our afternoon sun was brutal. This works great. It does rock in wind so never leave it up when not there. We filled the base with 175 lbs. of play sand. Purchased the 10' umbrella and stand on Amazon.
That's very helpful. Thanks.
There's an 11' rectangular, tiltable, cantilevered one we're considering. Does your umbrella shade a good portion of the patio?
Old 05-07-2024, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel Maryland View Post
Would a 3-point (triangular) shade sail work for you? They're beautiful and help define your space.
I like this idea.

Tags
patio, chairs, table, block, sun

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.