Unitron Relate Hearing Aids

Closed Thread
Old 07-15-2023, 08:23 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heytubes View Post
The over the counter aids are not generally fitted to the wearer’s heating loss range, plus I understand they just amplify sound. I have Phonak and love them compared to others I’ve had in the past. They are fitted to the ear via wax plus high/low frequency range is formatted to your degree of hearing loss. Don’t think over the counter Costco does that.
Yeah, the techs I have dealt with at Costco do a very thorough hearing test and tune the aids accordingly. You do not walk in and buy them off a shelf. I have a 6 year replacement warranty thanks to the Costco credit card. Don't knock something until you try it.
Old 07-16-2023, 08:19 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Personally, I would get a second opinion. Costco sells several different types of hearing aids, and they are less expensive than most.
She did not get a first opinion yet so she cannot get a second one.
Old 07-16-2023, 08:32 AM
Gold member

I now have the Phonac Aids which I received from the Vets. They are the best I ever had. They came with the TV connection and a separate microphone that my wife can wear when going out to dinner. The AP controls hearing in different locations like restaurants etc. I have severe hearing loss ans these were recommended by the Vets very patient and comprehensive Hearing Expert.
Old 07-16-2023, 09:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,372 Times in 2,518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
We pay a good amount for the hearing aids and do find a need for a visit several times a year with no extra cost. In addition once a year at least he does a hearing test and adjusts the hearing aid as necessary.
As I said, after a while aid wearers soon know when sound is not perfect, and I go for a re-tune then.
I have a test every two years as there is little change, I am profoundly deaf, and the hearing loss is pretty minimal these days.
Used to go annually many years ago.
Compared to UK. you get a pretty good deal for aids in America.
Like most things here we get shafted royally.
Then to round things off, the government sticks 20% VAT on the things!
Old 07-16-2023, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlington2 View Post
I agree with this. UHC Advantage has 2 mechanisms to purchase hearing aids - 1) in person with an audiologist and 2) virtual care where everything is done online. I learned they are separate activities and you go one way or the other at purchase. The virtual sounds very inviting to me as I am comfortable dealing online, but have no personal experience. Presently I must go to an audiologist for adjustments. I would be interested in folks experience with the online option.
I purchased online with UHC and had a 'Zoom' initial call with their audiologist to ensure I understood the 'app' that comes with them as well as the best practices. She offered to do a follow up Zoom in 90 days and be available anytime I needed to ask a question, but never really had any questions or issues after that. If you are comfortable with remote video calls, it's the way to go-there's no 'upselling' in that kind of environment with UHC-their only goal is to get you the right product.
Old 07-16-2023, 12:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
As I said, after a while aid wearers soon know when sound is not perfect, and I go for a re-tune then.
I have a test every two years as there is little change, I am profoundly deaf, and the hearing loss is pretty minimal these days.
Used to go annually many years ago.
Compared to UK. you get a pretty good deal for aids in America.
Like most things here we get shafted royally.
Then to round things off, the government sticks 20% VAT on the things!
I find the changes are gradual so for us best to have scheduled appt so they can be adjusted as needed.

Phonak pair I am wearing cost $ 5000 with 1000 picked up by insurance. How much were yours? Surprised they stick a 20% vat onto your cost.
Old 07-16-2023, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heytubes View Post
The over the counter aids are not generally fitted to the wearer’s heating loss range, plus I understand they just amplify sound. I have Phonak and love them compared to others I’ve had in the past. They are fitted to the ear via wax plus high/low frequency range is formatted to your degree of hearing loss. Don’t think over the counter Costco does that.

Actually the costco ones are phonak with only the Costco name on them. They are adjusted to your hearing loss. My husband has them.

Judy
Closed Thread

Tags
unitron, hearing, aids, relate, work

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.