Unsatisfactory Customer Service- Flags and Flagpoles in Lady Lake

Closed Thread
Old 04-11-2015, 09:51 AM
Exclamation Unsatisfactory Customer Service- Flags and Flagpoles in Lady Lake

As a military retiree, I have patronized the "Flags and Flagpole" store on Hwy 27/441, purchasing flagpoles, flags, and other patriotic items. I am preparing to move, so went to this store to purchase a new sleeve for my flagpole that I am moving to the new home. They sold me a sleeve.

A few weeks later, I was at the new home and decided to install the new sleeve. After preparing the ground, mixing 3 bags of concrete, placing the sleeve and properly burying it in the ground, I was ready to place the pole in the sleeve as per instructions. However, the sleeve was the WRONG SIZE (too small for my flag pole.) So, I quickly removed it and took it back to the store for exchange.

When I got to the store, I was told "You BOUGHT the wrong sleeve, and now it's considered used. We will not replace it." I explained that THEY SOLD me the wrong sleeve, as I had no idea what size I needed nor did they ask me. During the initial visit, I did tell them if needed, they should look me up in their system, as I bought the flagpole from them. I tried repeatedly to explain whey they should exchange the sleeve, but was met repeatedly with rude and insulting replies.

I was in complete disbelief that they would not exchange the sleeve. It was a very ugly interchange and I will never return to or recommend this business. When I mentioned that I would be placing this caution on "Talk of the Villages", the cashier even made a disparaging remark about "You Villagers."

I would like to ensure potential customers are forewarned...this business is not professional in their dealings. I, as a Veteran and general business customer, am completely disappointed in their dealings relating to a flag and with their customers.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:03 AM

I bought ours at the Marion market the guy comes to your house and place your flap pole where every you want it. I am sure he will help you with a new sleeve.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:04 AM

You Villagers,
is what keeps that store in business. thanks, for the heads up, i have purchased items at this store, but no longer.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:19 AM
Veteran member
Location: Chicago, Arlington Hgts, North Aurora, Il. TV since 2002!

Thanks for the heads up we have been wanting to install a flag on our property will go to Markets of Marion now!
Old 04-11-2015, 10:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member

This is not the first report on TOTV about strangely weird dysfunctional customer service by this store.

Bipolar Customer Service.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member

IMHO the OP expressed dissatisfaction, but did so without being ugly. We could all (well I could) learn from this post.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,181 Times in 835 Posts

And he admitted getting into an ugly confrontation which it seems likely both sides escalated. He had placed his sleeve into the concrete into the ground. It was used. I don't know what the store's return policy might be, but bringing a product back that is a month old and has been embedded in concrete and expecting a full refund? The OP clearly bought the wrong size. The OP seems to have purchased a sleeve in the past and is aware of the need for a correct size. While I agree it would have been nice for the store to make a trade I don't see how this is the store's fault. As the OP suggests that he was uncertain as to whether he was getting the correct size at the time of purchase he could have checked it before he stuck it in concrete in the ground. Likely there would have been no issue with an exchange of an unused item.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:36 PM
Veteran member

very,very poor business decision...I don't know the value of this item but I doubt it's worth the loss in business... .how does the axiom go...A happy customer will tell a few others of his experience, an unhappy customer will tell many.....

Last edited by Bill32; 04-11-2015 at 06:40 PM. Reason: so
Old 04-11-2015, 06:57 PM
Platinum member

Stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Nordstoms, etc will take back products even if they have been used or the consumer makes a mistake. Take a look at the returned paint at Depot or Lowes. It is called customer service.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:25 PM
Eternal Member

Sorry, but I have to side with the store on this one. The OP should have tried the flagpole on the sleeve before putting the sleeve in the cement.

The store could not re-sell the sleeve.

That store probably does not operate on a large price margin for their profits.

Also, tempers sound as if they did get somewhat out of control and testestrone level raised on both sides. The OP might have said in a loud way he is a veteran and therefore should get his money back.

Just my viewpoint. In the future, shop the big name stores like Home Depot where veterans get a discount every day - or is that Lowes?
Old 04-11-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbjaly View Post
As a military retiree, I have patronized the "Flags and Flagpole" store on Hwy 27/441, purchasing flagpoles, flags, and other patriotic items. I am preparing to move, so went to this store to purchase a new sleeve for my flagpole that I am moving to the new home. They sold me a sleeve.

A few weeks later, I was at the new home and decided to install the new sleeve. After preparing the ground, mixing 3 bags of concrete, placing the sleeve and properly burying it in the ground, I was ready to place the pole in the sleeve as per instructions. However, the sleeve was the WRONG SIZE (too small for my flag pole.) So, I quickly removed it and took it back to the store for exchange.

When I got to the store, I was told "You BOUGHT the wrong sleeve, and now it's considered used. We will not replace it." I explained that THEY SOLD me the wrong sleeve, as I had no idea what size I needed nor did they ask me. During the initial visit, I did tell them if needed, they should look me up in their system, as I bought the flagpole from them. I tried repeatedly to explain whey they should exchange the sleeve, but was met repeatedly with rude and insulting replies.

I was in complete disbelief that they would not exchange the sleeve. It was a very ugly interchange and I will never return to or recommend this business. When I mentioned that I would be placing this caution on "Talk of the Villages", the cashier even made a disparaging remark about "You Villagers."

I would like to ensure potential customers are forewarned...this business is not professional in their dealings. I, as a Veteran and general business customer, am completely disappointed in their dealings relating to a flag and with their customers.
Good for you, I shall not give them any business either.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:06 PM
Veteran member

When you bought the original sleeve did you take one off of the shelf or did you ask for a sleeve and they got you one? If you got it yourself I don't see why it would be their fault. I'm not familiar with flagpoles, but could you have tried the sleeve on for size BEFORE burying it in the ground?

Slaughter on 10th Avenue (and more) -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMo6w...gbuFRTT06nS9pn
Old 04-11-2015, 09:43 PM
Gold member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
Sorry, but I have to side with the store on this one. The OP should have tried the flagpole on the sleeve before putting the sleeve in the cement.

The store could not re-sell the sleeve.

That store probably does not operate on a large price margin for their profits.

Also, tempers sound as if they did get somewhat out of control and testestrone level raised on both sides. The OP might have said in a loud way he is a veteran and therefore should get his money back.

Just my viewpoint. In the future, shop the big name stores like Home Depot where veterans get a discount every day - or is that Lowes?
There never was a more true business statement than the one saying "the customer is always right".... Replacing that sleeve is small potatoes to what the business will lose resulting in bad publicity. It's not about being right or wrong, it's about building your business. The fastest way to go out of business is to have a lot of unhappy customers.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:13 PM

It seems that nobody wants to take responsibility for their actions these days.

You knew there was a question about size, yet, you did not try to assemble it after you got home to make sure it fit. Had you done so, I'm sure the store would have been happy to exchange it for you.

I would also bet that they have a return policy either stated on the receipt, or visible in the store. If not, I would have questioned them about being able to return it. And I'm sure they would have told you that it would have to be in the same condition in which it was sold.

The fact that you are a veteran, sadly, is irrelevant in this equation.

Thank you for your service.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:58 PM
Veteran member

I'll side with the customer on this one. Will cross this store off my list of go to. No need for me to explain my point of view. It will change no one's mind and that is not my intent. To each his own.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.