Unwanted mail

Closed Thread
Old 05-23-2020, 09:05 AM
theruizs

Quote:
Originally Posted by woderfulwendy1 View Post
Any trashcan, anywhere is a trashcan! Don't want trash in it, don't put it there.
I think the point of the sign was intended to be to take your junk mail home and put in your with your recyclables. But that will be moot soon too I think when everything will start going to be burned.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:06 AM

And they say the post office is going broke
Old 05-23-2020, 09:20 AM
theruizs

My parents were Jehovah’s Witnesses and I was also until about 1991 or so. They are only doing what is required of them to do to remain in good standing, and what they believe the Creator expects of them. They also do it because they truly believe that this system of things is ending and many will lose their lives forever. So if you care for your fellow man, that is a pretty strong motivation. They have no ill intent and make absolutely no money doing their ministry work, in fact it costs them money and time to do it. I have my issues with their beliefs, but not their motivations.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:24 AM
Sage

I once sent a junk mail back with pieces of heavy tile in the envelope so yhey had to pay the return postage never heard from those folks again
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 05-23-2020, 10:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajulian View Post
Advertisers get reduced rates for bulk mail while we get rate increases for first class mail. Final analysis - we subsidize that junk mail.
That's not even almost true.

The bulk mail payments are what allows you to only have to pay 55 cents for up to an ounce of mail in a single envelope. Bulk mail customers are the primary supporters of the USPS. Without them, you would either be paying $2-3 per letter, or you'd have to use UPS or FedEx at $5.95+
Old 05-23-2020, 10:16 AM
Exclamation Junk Mail!!! How do you fight back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by missypie View Post
We have recieved a handwritten letter from the Jehovah Witnesses. Stating these are rough times, etc..... I would like to tell them to keep their opinions to themselves and not to prey on elderly folks. Yes I know first ammendment rights, but just because you can't go door to door, leave folks alone.
Our mail boxes are being filled with "junk mail". This is stuff we don't subscribe to, and yet keeps coming with a vengeance. Individually, you can't stop it. If we all did NOT respond to such email solicitations, eventually they would disappear. These companies do studies on their effectiveness of mail advertising. Some of you are donating, buying, or participating from these mail solicitations. This is what keeps the mail cancer continuing. Keep in mind that if you donate to a "cause" pitched to you through the mail, your donation is helping to fund other mail distributions. What a waste of your money. DO NOT DONATE TO ANY POLITICAL CANDIDATE EVER!! If they get your address after you donate, you will be hounded for money till you die!
Old 05-23-2020, 10:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhrph View Post
Our mail boxes are being filled with "junk mail". This is stuff we don't subscribe to, and yet keeps coming with a vengeance. Individually, you can't stop it. If we all did NOT respond to such email solicitations, eventually they would disappear. These companies do studies on their effectiveness of mail advertising. Some of you are donating, buying, or participating from these mail solicitations. This is what keeps the mail cancer continuing. Keep in mind that if you donate to a "cause" pitched to you through the mail, your donation is helping to fund other mail distributions. What a waste of your money. DO NOT DONATE TO ANY POLITICAL CANDIDATE EVER!! If they get your address after you donate, you will be hounded for money till you die!
You can significantly reduce your political junk mail. Don't donate to a political candidate or PAC or political organization (such as the GOP or RNC). Don't be a "registered Democrat" or "registered Republican." Vote however you want to vote, just don't register as an official [insert party here].

The only downside to being unaffiliated is you can't vote in the primaries in Florida. So you'd have to affiliate for the primaries - and then you can opt out again once the primaries are over. You can only affiliate with a single party - you can't switch during the primary season, only once before hand, and then again after it's over (so no, you can't cheat and vote in each party's primary).
Old 05-23-2020, 10:35 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

I can only wish that junk mail was the worst problem I had in life.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:37 AM

Ouch...that is harsh
Old 05-23-2020, 10:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseycasebeer View Post
Respectfully, I must take a different view.

I am not a JW, and not interested in joining their church, but have found them to be friendly and easy to talk-to. I have my own belief system, but (honestly) I learn more about the Bible with each JW visitation. The two that come by my home are welcomed during their 2-3 visits per year. Yea, I know they’re not “supposed” solicit but I’d rather talk to them than the stream of folks who want to inspect my roof, or whatever.

Believe it or not, I have actually READ “The Watchtower” they leave with me. I find it fairly elementary, but easily understood. I am not interested in joining their Faith, but Lord knows (pun intended), in the present World I welcome most folks who honestly hold their ‘belief.

Given the anger that TOTV sometimes elicits, I’m almost fearful of what my comments may bring ... but what the Hell, we can all have our own perspectives.

P.S. I received a brief handwritten letter from my JW-guy (Dale...) on Friday.
He simply expressed concern for all of us in these difficult pandemic times, and hoped I was doing ‘ok. His letter wasn’t ‘preachy, political, or asking for a donation. All-in-all I welcome the next time we have a chance to chat.
i find them much more pleasant & engaging than the Mormons. i don't hide when i see jh coming
Old 05-23-2020, 10:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Today junk mail is done by specialized companies that use computerized mailing lists and that is millions and millions of names and addresses. My Mom died in 2003 (lived in PA) and a couple times a year she gets invited to Ocala for a free dinner to hear about investment opportunities. I got my divorce in 1988 and my ex wife (lives in PA) we receive offers for stuff in Disney in her name. Now that she turned 65 we get all the Medicare mailings for her. I called and asked if she wanted them forwarded, she declined . My last name has an Asian ring to it and up until two years ago we received offers addressed to my ex wife for Asian cosmetics.

Berks County Pennsylvania

Last edited by JoMar; 05-23-2020 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,717 Times in 5,245 Posts

The solution is for Congress to allow postal customers to cancel their account. Then, all official mail would need to be rerouted using a private service like UPS or FedEx, and junk mail would stop. It would also save energy and taxpayer money. I only go to the postal station about once a week to collect my mail, which is about 99 percent trash.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:59 AM

Your welcome to take my junk mail home with you. My trash is heavy enough to put out without all the crap I find in my box. There should be a bin for recyclable junk mail at postal station.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Jehovah Witnesses don't "prey" on elderly folks. They're not trying to get anyone to give them money, property, food, clothing, homes, cars, or anything else. Even if you end up joining their religion, you're not required to take a vow of poverty and give up all your worldly goods or any other such thing.

It can annoy you - you have the right to be annoyed. But if they put a stamp on it and sent it first-class, they have the right to send it to you.

Just stick it in the trash and don't worry yourself another moment about it. They won't take it personally if you say no.
Correction: please place it in your recycling. Junk mail is still recyclable, at least at this time. Reduce, reuse, recycle.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,019 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyitsrick View Post
That's a disaster waiting to happen. If postal employees have to take the time to identify "junk" mail, sooner or later (sooner) someone's not going to get a check in the mail or some such, and it's lawsuit time. Plus, what's the postal worker supposed to do then, schlep the "junk" mail back to the post office? They're delivery people. I don't want them making value judgments about my mail.
Yes, I agree they wouldn’t know what to send back... I just hate paying for a service that puts me to work... I feel same way about garbage phone calls. It would be nice if we could have a “do not deliver” list.
Closed Thread

Tags
door, folks, unwanted, prey, elderly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.