Update on the train in my back yard in Chatham

Closed Thread
Old 04-24-2008, 12:41 AM
Veteran member
Default Re: Update on the train in my back yard in Chatham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frangyomory
I know for a fact that very few of the "sales" representatives are real estate agents.
This is one more reason to be cautious. Salesmen will tell you anything and there is nothing you can do if they outright lie. If they were realtors, there would be laws to protect you.

Best thing to get as much information from others as you can and DON"t be afraid to knock on doors and ask questions of your soon to be neighbors.
Good advice Fran
Village of Hemmingway
Old 04-24-2008, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host
I don't know if the Villages sales agents are licensed real estate agents. If they are not, then they may not be governed by the law. I don't know for sure. Maybe somebody else does.
Agents or not TV has a responsibility to the consumer. You don't need to be a sales agent to be held liable if Florida has a disclosure law. Even a John Doe sell by owner can be held responsible for not telling the buyer about house issues, such as leaks, electrical, plumbing, association fees, rules and regulations, etc. If it was disclosed and you signed agreeing to the fact the train existed then tough luck and move on.

It must have in my thinking ever since so many seniors were defrauded in the past few years on people selling swamp land. Florida came in and put it to a stop and put many in prisons.

My suggestion is to immediately find a Real Estate attorney who is familiar with the Florida disclosure laws and go at it.

Good Luck.

:2cool:
Old 04-24-2008, 11:37 AM
Gold member

John maybe you could give me and example of the add you will use when it comes time for you to sell your home. Will the train sound be a primary addition to to your amenities?? Will it be on top or after the pool etc
Old 04-25-2008, 09:21 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk
John maybe you could give me and example of the add you will use when it comes time for you to sell your home. Will the train sound be a primary addition to to your amenities?? Will it be on top or after the pool etc
We're kinda stuck aren't we? If I ever try to sell the house, I guess I am going to have to make a disclosure that is with-in the law. I just wish we had been given the same consideration.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope2bforever
I was a real estate salesperson and I too felt I needed to be upfront with the people I was selling to. I represtented the seller but that did not mean I cheated or lied to the buyers. I think most people are honest and caring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouma1938
A few posts back someone said that "real estate agents are only interested in one thing, their commission". I am a realtor and I have to say that I know many agents both in and out of our agency and the honorable and dedicated agents far outnumber the very few bad apples
As a real estate broker for 20 years, I agree with Hope and Ouma. There are a few bad apples, but for the most part, real estate agents are professional and ethical. And BTW, Village agents are licensed real estate agents! They don't belong to the "Multiple Listing Service", but they are licensed.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llaran
''I have no sympathy for someone who buys a home without checking out the surrounding area. I'm guessing this is not the first home you bought and that you are not 22. A short drive on 42 to 301 would have shown where the train was, it's not new. Some people south on buena vista bought near the sewer plant and now compain about the smell!!! Some bought in new areas near vacant land and now complain about the bare ground and blowing sand..''
I think you are wrong about no sympathy. There is positive spin on what is being sold by tv not to have known facts mentioned is cazy. That is why the law states known issues must be disclosed. People visiting can't be aware of things the developer knows. Now if the developer is unaware that's different!

I;m with you Talk host
Old 08-14-2008, 10:12 PM
Sage

I think it has been established that this is not a material defect and was not 'required' to be disclosed by TV agents. The debate then went on to the opinion that they 'should' disclose anyway.

To me the fault lies somewhere in between. Should TH have seen the tracks? (we know he can see them because the video is from his lanai). Maybe. Should TH have heard the trains? Maybe but they were less frequent when he first bought. Should TV have disclosed the tracks? Maybe but again there was no legal obligation (and we know that since no legal action was brought or successful against them for the noise).

This debate has opened my eyes for my purchase in TV. Even then I may be fooled by something that we just couldn't see or hear at the time of purchase.

Again, just my thoughts.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:30 PM
Veteran member

IMHO TH's venting on TOTV has provided a service to every wannabee and potential buyer of TV property. Opppsssssss....... I can't speak for everyone, so I'll say it has definitely opened my eyes to consider many factors when deciding exactly where in TV I should invest.

I'm sensitive to unwelcomed noise and I really feel bad just thinking about how TH described his first night in the new house, and the train noise.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

I know when buying my 2nd home in TV, I will take time to do research about the village with regards to location of water treatment facilities, trains, sex offenders and other crimes in the area, pool upkeep, rampant rodents and anything else that might effect my quality of living. Talk Host opened my eyes to the fact that we all need to do our own leg work and look out for ourselves cause no one else will.

Thank you Jan and others!
Old 08-15-2008, 12:16 AM

Where is the video of the train noise?
New Jersey
Old 08-15-2008, 01:04 AM
Founder

It is right here. Please click on the start button.

[gvideo=400,326]5457051141839200382[/gvideo]
Old 08-15-2008, 01:26 AM
Veteran member

OMG........ talk host ....... I feel your pain :'( :'( :'(
Old 08-15-2008, 01:58 AM

Hello,

If you lived in Michigan the disclosure law would apply and the developer would be held responsible. The situation would be remedied at the developers expense.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:43 AM
Sage

OMG! Jan, your home looks beautiful, but I could not handle that! I can't believe nothing can be done. :dontknow:
Old 08-15-2008, 02:59 AM

I Since I am a light sleeper I am curious about my rental which I think is in Chatham on Horshoe lane I am very unfamailiar with locations in TV so could you clue me in? and could you also help me pull up a map to familiarize myself ? I am able to do earth goggle but does TV have something I can turn to to locate certain neighborhoods Thanks LAG
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.