Urban Myths in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 06-16-2023, 08:38 AM
Default The STD Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMo50 View Post
The undying stories about The Villages and STD rates was never true, but, like all things internet, why wrestle with the truth when the fiction is so much more fun. The myth apparently originated in a 2006 radio interview with an OB-GYN, who claimed she was seeing higher rates of STDs in The Villages than she did while working in Miami.

No matter that the OB-GYN later recanted her story, the tale had a life of its own. Picked up by several major newspapers and media outlets, the myth had become "fact," and was never going to go away. I must admit, though, it is pretty funny when our kids are wondering just what Mom and Dad are up to in this promiscuous sink of deviate behavior we call home.
And she had been fired from The Villages Health System prior to giving said radio interview.
Old 06-16-2023, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMo50 View Post
The undying stories about The Villages and STD rates was never true, but, like all things internet, why wrestle with the truth when the fiction is so much more fun. The myth apparently originated in a 2006 radio interview with an OB-GYN, who claimed she was seeing higher rates of STDs in The Villages than she did while working in Miami.

No matter that the OB-GYN later recanted her story, the tale had a life of its own. Picked up by several major newspapers and media outlets, the myth had become "fact," and was never going to go away. I must admit, though, it is pretty funny when our kids are wondering just what Mom and Dad are up to in this promiscuous sink of deviate behavior we call home.
My wife always responds to that myth with: probably not true here in the land of pumps and pills.
Old 06-16-2023, 10:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Loofahs and STDs with the latter still riding high.
Old 06-16-2023, 10:50 AM
Default Urban Myths

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisanp@aol.com View Post
And she had been fired from The Villages Health System prior to giving said radio interview.
Sorry, but the Villages Health System was not even in existence when that particular physician was in practice here. She was never part of it.
Old 06-16-2023, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoWhiskers View Post
Myth... the wind never blows in The Villages. A claim made in a video by The Village Newcomers.
LOL people will say anything to boost monetization on Youtube.
You mention one instance of The Newcomers giving a myth- then condemn them as money hungry. 50,000+ people find them helpful and are not turned off by the fact that they began to be monetized after hitting a certain number of views.

Do you find it outrageous that they are being paid for their channel- and if so, why? Do you consider all others on YouTube who are monetized to also be money hungry or just The Newcomers?
Old 06-16-2023, 01:18 PM

To help improve the pace on the golf courses, The Villages has attendants along each hole to find errant shots and place a small flag next to them....
Old 06-16-2023, 03:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,310 Times in 4,320 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Very amusing. I do see loofahs on various cars in the neighborhood but have never asked their drivers about what they mean to them.
$10 says it means, "Oh, there's my car!"

-Tom Petty
Old 06-16-2023, 04:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredsteve View Post
. I have to fess up, I created the loofa guide back in 2019. I did it as a joke on a Facebook Village group. An early morning, coffee, cut and paste, and a demented mind and the chart was born. It was a spoof on the stories
I am SO jealous! I always wanted to start a myth! Congratulations!
Old 06-16-2023, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgodin View Post
Red shoes, or was it gold, worn at the square signify readiness for sex
A visible laundry tag, at the square, means you're looking for a hookup.
Googled "laundry tag". Found a list of symbols and it looked *way* too much like chemistry to me.
Old 06-17-2023, 07:57 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredsteve View Post
. I have to fess up, I created the loofa guide back in 2019. I did it as a joke on a Facebook Village group. An early morning, coffee, cut and paste, and a demented mind and the chart was born. It was a spoof on the stories
Should'a copyrighted that image, made a few bucks out of papers, mags, news segments, YouTube vids, etc. that steal (I mean "Use") it. Hindsight, right?
Old 06-17-2023, 08:49 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Costco and Trader Joe’s are opening soon!
Old 06-17-2023, 09:40 AM
Veteran member

The developer is going to stop building.
Old 06-17-2023, 12:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,581 Times in 1,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
Your garage door has to be closed by 10:00 pm.
So moving from one village to new build in Richmond, I backed in unloaded stuff then left to go to other house. Forgot to shut the garage door, 1:31am phone call, our garage door was not shut at new build.

So got in the car drove down BV to Richmond, had to come to complete stop while 3 coyotes ran across the road. Pulled in drive, and YES garage door was Open, got out checked the interior, and a very nice Wildwood officer stopped.

Said he had reported the door, I apologize, saying I left it open, and thanked him for the report. Although the house had just unimportant boxes, it was a nice gesture, and he waited until I came out. He noticed my vehicle crossed 44 to Meggison routinely, at 3am, and was just checking to see if all was right.

I now wave to him as I pass through the light. It’s nice to see police presence in the south.

Not the first call about forgetting to close garage door in the multiple houses we own in TV. It is not an urban myth, and call usually comes at 1am

Tags
villages, urban, myths, month, olds

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.