US reopening with no cure or vaccine and little testing?

Closed Thread
Old 04-17-2020, 07:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
Retired doesn’t mean dead. We need sunshine and to move. We cannot stay indoors like houseplants. We still have lives and there is nothing more essential and required than that. Take basic precautions of distancing and masks and we can leave home.
Our restrictions have never said we can not go outdoors. Golf has never been closed here in The Villages. People can exercise and go outdoors for that.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:22 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Our restrictions have never said we can not go outdoors. Golf has never been closed here in The Villages. People can exercise and go outdoors for that.
The planet does not revolve around a golf club. There are are other things people want to do like maybe go to a pool or just plain see friends or go to a movie or go out to dinner or get a mani/pedi or go shopping or go to rec centers or go to Disney, etc. there is life out there that people want back.

Last edited by DianeM; 04-17-2020 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:18 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
You and what army are actively, physically, preventing anyone from doing it? Can it even be prevented at all, with regulation? The question is - IS it being done, with regards to COVID-19?

This isn't about guns. It's about social distancing, washing hands, trying not to congregate if it can be avoided, when your state has just opened one of the two primary tourist attractions in the state's existence.

It's like, if the governor tells Disney World "go ahead, open up" tomorrow. TOMORROW. And Disney says "woah awesome, hotels, trams, rides, sidewalks, attractions - OPEN FOR BUSINESS!" and then they put a sign on the gate that says "please respect social distancing."

Not Gonna Happen.

People will either come in droves, ignore social distancing, and give the virus to the employees - who will spread it to their families, who will spread it to the supermarkets, who will spread it to strangers - which is how this whirlwind started in the first place...

Or

They will avoid these places like the plague - and since the places all opened for business, it also means they are now staffed, and have to pay their staff, the lights are all one, the rides are all powered up, the hotel housekeeping folks are all lined up with freshly washed linens and the scones for the free breakfast buffet are thawing out in the fridge - but have no revenue coming in with which to pay for all this.

So you're going to end up with a fresh new batch of sick and dead people

OR

You're gonna end up with a lot of bankrupt stores.

All because one tourist attraction opened up too soon. Just like the beaches are opened to the public too soon, without ANY possible ability to control the crowds.
You made it about guns by saying how easy it is to buy a firearm in another state. I was correcting totally erroneous information that another uninformed individual would parrot in their discussions perpetuating an untruth. Out of curiosity where did you hear that misinformation?
Old 04-17-2020, 08:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
The planet does not revolve around a golf club. There are are other things people want to do like maybe go to a pool or just plain see friends or go to a movie or go out to dinner or get a mani/pedi or go shopping or go to rec centers or go to Disney, etc. there is life out there that people want back.
I agree with this, Diane. However, I was responding to a poster who said that people do not want to be cooped up inside all the time (or something to that effect). I was referring to the fact that even during our restrictions, we can still go outside to exercise. No one has to remain cooped up inside.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:14 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I agree with this, Diane. However, I was responding to a poster who said that people do not want to be cooped up inside all the time (or something to that effect). I was referring to the fact that even during our restrictions, we can still go outside to exercise. No one has to remain cooped up inside.
Actually it was me you responded to but I was responding to someone who doesn’t want to leave the house. That was why I said we were not houseplants and needed to move. No one said we have to be indoor prisoners but some have taken it literally. Ahh....this too shall pass. Have a good evening.
Old 04-18-2020, 04:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Can we do roundabouts now?
Old 04-18-2020, 05:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Actually it was me you responded to but I was responding to someone who doesn’t want to leave the house. That was why I said we were not houseplants and needed to move. No one said we have to be indoor prisoners but some have taken it literally. Ahh....this too shall pass. Have a good evening.
OK, gotcha.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Old 04-18-2020, 07:01 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I agree to some extent with the idea of what you post.

Agree that the inside rec centers be closed, or limited with someone to serve as a counter, and limited group sizes, with no loitering in the halls or central area. If a club has more than 15 members, then that club can't have a full-membership meeting inside. If the club only has 5-10 members then they can have their meeting, with chairs spaced appropriately, and any buffet-style treats at the end of the meeting have to be visited one person at a time.

If you open the larger pools only, then everyone who goes to any of the pools, will all try to congregate at only the larger pools. For that reason I would suggest opening ALL the pools but limiting them to ONLY residents of the area. In other words - if you live in the Paradise Rec center area, then you can't go to the Caroline Pool.

If your area doesn't have its own pool you can use the regional pool. If your area has its own pool, you should not be using the regional pool.

And it needs to be, for the time being, residents only. Tenants are residents, so as long as they have a residents' ID, they should have the same privileges. GUESTS should not be permitted, for now at least. Not grandchildren, not kids. Properties are intended to have 2 residents per home. So only 2 resident IDs should be issued to any individual home.

The problem with the squares is people congregating in close quarters. I'd suggest removing the seating entirely - no more seats allowed, not even if you bring them in yourself. That will drastically reduce the number of people who congregate, and limit how long they stay in the area.

Open all businesses to OUTDOOR business only. Sidewalk sales, outdoor eating, etc. It's a sad fact that if you give people an inch, they'll take a mile. If you let exactly 4 people into your boutique, then when one leaves the next one in line will demand to be let in with her spouse and visiting grandkids. It would just be a logistic nightmare to enforce social distancing rules inside cramped boutiques like those in the squares.

For the same reason, instead of weekly, biweekly, or monthly craft fairs - maybe make them daily. Turn the squares into pedestrian traffic only, and make these "events" non-events by making them commonplace.

You'll have fewer people attending on a daily basis, but vendors will still be able to take in a profit because the same number of people will be attending weekly. The population gets spread out, instead of all showing up at once.

I also think it might be possible to implement a drink chit system. You can buy drink credits, and use up to 2 per day. They could be attached to your Villages ID, or drivers' license for the public that doesn't live in the Villages. That way they can't be used by other people.
After reading your rather lengthy post I'm exhausted and honestly it's too much for me to remember.

So I am going to stay at home and continue to watch movies, next up the sequel to Silence of The Lambs ( Hannibal ) . Then take out from Havana Restaurant.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Yes.

Yes - Roundabout - YouTube
Old 04-18-2020, 10:52 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I would not bathe with a person who might have tuberculosis and I would not swim with someone who might have Covid-19. Immersing yourself in salt water doesn't seem like a safe thing to do in these germy times.
I thought you only listened to doctors.

There is no evidence that COVID-19 can be spread to humans through the use of pools, hot tubs or spas, or water playgrounds. Proper operation, maintenance, and disinfection (e.g., with chlorine and bromine) of pools, hot tubs or spas, and water playgrounds should inactivate the virus that causes COVID-19.

Water Transmission and COVID-19: Questions and Answers
Old 04-18-2020, 05:38 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
Roundabout ? Is that the same as " Roundabout When " ? I'm confused .
Old 04-18-2020, 05:44 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Yes of course they’re opinions. Just conversation since no one has a working crystal ball.
Actually you are wrong. I have a Crystal Ball ( Tiffany's ) given to me a few years ago.

It is beautiful and I often look at it. So to say no one has a crystal ball is " Wrong " .

Once I post this I will go and look at it maybe even feel it.
Old 04-18-2020, 05:49 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post
Actually you are wrong. I have a Crystal Ball ( Tiffany's ) given to me a few years ago.

It is beautiful and I often look at it. So to say no one has a crystal ball is " Wrong " .

Once I post this I will go and look at it maybe even feel it.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I have decided to self isolate myself for the next 2 weeks reason being I forgot my mask today while shopping at Publix.

It's only right that I have made this decision.

Gonna watch Red Dragon ( Anthony Hopkins ) feet up with my 6 pack of Michelob Ultra hey gotta be done.
Closed Thread

Tags
virus, numbers, continue, situation, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.