Use of your pool while you are away

Closed Thread
Old 07-29-2022, 09:30 PM
Default Use of your pool while you are away

We bought a home with a pool recently. Like most in TV its in a lanai with appropriate screen doors. But when we are away we leave a lanai door unlocked so the pool guy can get in -- the latch is more than 54" above the ground as is required for toddler intrusion safety. The neighbours (who are fine folk -- that's not the issue) have told us that when the previous owners were away for the summer, they were told that they could use the pool whenever they wanted -- and they did. There is an expectation or at least a hope, it would seem, that we will have the same "policy". But the liability issue if there is an accident seems to us very serious. Sure, perhaps the neighbours would not sue if there were a slip and fall on the pool deck or worse, but the insurance companies are seldom so understanding. Any thoughts or experience on how this expectation of being a good neighbour is handled?
Old 07-29-2022, 09:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,784 Times in 5,280 Posts

Just say no.

I would also put a lock on the lanai door, and give the pool guy a key or the combination.
Old 07-29-2022, 09:36 PM
Sage

///
Old 07-29-2022, 10:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,154 Times in 2,781 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritimer View Post
We bought a home with a pool recently. Like most in TV its in a lanai with appropriate screen doors. But when we are away we leave a lanai door unlocked so the pool guy can get in -- the latch is more than 54" above the ground as is required for toddler intrusion safety. The neighbours (who are fine folk -- that's not the issue) have told us that when the previous owners were away for the summer, they were told that they could use the pool whenever they wanted -- and they did. There is an expectation or at least a hope, it would seem, that we will have the same "policy". But the liability issue if there is an accident seems to us very serious. Sure, perhaps the neighbours would not sue if there were a slip and fall on the pool deck or worse, but the insurance companies are seldom so understanding. Any thoughts or experience on how this expectation of being a good neighbour is handled?
In addition to liability I would be concerned about the pool water. Specifically, I worry about TDS (total dissolved solids) building up in the pool water. We are very careful to not introduce stuff into the pool that builds up TDS and wouldn’t trust others to do the same. TDS come from things like soap residue, sun tan lotion, deodorant, make-up, perfume, and other man made products. Natural stuff like dirt, hair, and sweat are taken care of by the pool chemicals and filter, but TDS can not be removed from the water. When the TDS count gets high it becomes very difficult to properly balance the pool water and the water must be drained and replaced, which is both a pain in the a$$ and expensive.

If you have internet active when not there I would put a camera in your birdcage to watch your pool, otherwise I would put up a battery operated trail camera. We don’t lock the doors to our birdcage because if someone wants to get in it would be better to let them use the door than cut your screen. Good luck.
Old 07-29-2022, 10:21 PM
Sage

If you don't lock the door, your defense against liability is compromised. Florida law has an "attractive nuisance" doctrine. So, if a child drowns in the pool, you can be held liable.
Old 07-29-2022, 11:01 PM

Op,
I'm afraid, as others have said, that's going to be a big no-go for me as well.
Too many factors, with you not being there can/could come into play as well...what if something happens, like damage to your pool or property.
Although your neighbors may be great people, even here in the villages, great people can bring over really crappy guest who could cause you a whole series of issues...
Old 07-29-2022, 11:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,971 Times in 2,478 Posts

Hello (spelling) NO, plenty of pools in villages. Kind of neighbor’s everybody wants, right…..
Old 07-30-2022, 04:37 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Never. Massive liability exposure. There are plenty of amenity pools for them to use
Old 07-30-2022, 05:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,184 Times in 1,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Just say no.

I would also put a lock on the lanai door, and give the pool guy a key or the combination.
Absolutely agree 100%.
Old 07-30-2022, 06:12 AM
Veteran member

For the past few years, my neighbor, who is still a snow bird after 13 years, has let a neighbors grandkids use his pool when they come for the summer.. It's like a day camp when they come. I finally had enough when I saw the kids alone in the pool and hot tub without any parental supervision. While he is enjoying his summer on a lake somewhere, we have to put up with someone who does not even live on our block. I finally called him and told him that kids were using his pool without supervision and that besides the liability, we have to put up with loud noise daily during the summer. He has not spoken to me since, but I did not see any kids in the pool this summer. There is a rec center, with a family pool very close to his house. There are enough family pools in TV. I think your neighbor has some B---- asking to use your pool when your are away. Some people have no class.

Last edited by bilcon; 07-30-2022 at 06:19 AM. Reason: duplicate posting
Old 07-30-2022, 06:12 AM
Veteran member

For the past few years, my neighbor, who is still a snow bird after 13 years, has let a neighbors grandkids use his pool when they come for the summer.. It's like a day camp when they come. I finally had enough when I saw the kids alone in the pool and hot tub without any parental supervision. While he is enjoying his summer on a lake somewhere, we have to put up with someone who does not even live on our block. I finally called him and told him that kids were using his pool without supervision and that besides the liability, we have to put up with loud noise daily during the summer. He has not spoken to me since, but I did not see any kids in the pool this summer. There is a rec center, with a family pool very close to his house. There are enough family pools in TV. I think your neighbor has some B---- asking to use your pool when your are away. Some people have no class.
Old 07-30-2022, 06:16 AM
Veteran member

Unless they knew me well, I would consider it even presumptuous to ask. They might hint at it, but that's a big "ask" of a new acquaintance. Awfully bold of them, in my opinion, to even ask it. People that bold will push boundaries until they are told or made to understand "no."

Concur with locking screen. I understand the desire to prevent greater damage, but you leave yourself open, literally, to liability and theft.
Old 07-30-2022, 06:21 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,129 Times in 1,352 Posts

There are neighborhood pools everywhere. Not like they can't swim.
Old 07-30-2022, 06:21 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,210 Times in 763 Posts

I would not allow it, too much that can go wrong.
Old 07-30-2022, 06:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Just let them know that an open pool policy is not in the cards and that it is nothing personal. And there is no back and forth on that matter.
Closed Thread

Tags
pool, neighbours, issue, told, expectation

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.