Vacant lots in Silver Lake?

Old 04-17-2024, 12:24 PM
Default Vacant lots in Silver Lake?

"Search Homes" at TV website for Preowned, sort price Low to High. The first two were vacant, open lots in Silver Lake, around $90k, and no bond. The view from the drone makes it seem there was something there before.
What happened to the dwellings? Who removed them? Why?
Old 04-17-2024, 12:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,752 Times in 5,258 Posts

The developer has been buying older houses for years, tearing them down, and building new houses. I think they pay about $65K for an old, manufactured house in The Villages.
Old 04-17-2024, 12:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,542 Times in 3,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The developer has been buying older houses for years, tearing them down, and building new houses. I think they pay about $65K for an old, manufactured house in The Villages.
They stopped doing that a few years ago.

The lots are vacant because the mobile homes were removed. Who removed them? Could've been the person who is selling the lot now, or it could've been whoever sold the lot to whoever is selling it now.

Why were they removed? One of two likely reasons:

1. They were in bad shape, and made the lot unattractive for future sale.
2. Someone removed it intending to build a new home but for whatever reason, chose to sell the lot instead.
Old 04-17-2024, 12:49 PM
Sage

As I understand it, if you buy one of the vacant lots, you need to contract with the developer if you want to build a new house. You cannot hire another builder. I would be hesitant to actually take ownership of a vacant lot due to liability while the lot is vacant and/or under construction. I would rather have the developer own the lot until the house is constructed and is ready to be occupied.
Old 04-17-2024, 12:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
As I understand it, if you buy one of the vacant lots, you need to contract with the developer if you want to build a new house. You cannot hire another builder. I would be hesitant to actually take ownership of a vacant lot due to liability while the lot is vacant and/or under construction. I would rather have the developer own the lot until the house is constructed and is ready to be occupied.
No, you don't.
Old 04-17-2024, 01:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
No, you don't.
Do you know of other builders who have built houses in The Villages? If this is allowed, I wouldn't recommend it. Way too much risk and potential liability.
Old 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,311 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Do you know of other builders who have built houses in The Villages? If this is allowed, I wouldn't recommend it. Way too much risk and potential liability.
Other builders ? Many. Take a ride to Cindy Lane right now and view the concrete blocks that went up on a new build two days ago.
Old 04-17-2024, 01:42 PM

Quote:
I would be hesitant to actually take ownership of a vacant lot due to liability while the lot is vacant and/or under construction. I would rather have the developer own the lot until the house is constructed and is ready to be occupied.
That’s why you buy an insurance policy.
Old 04-17-2024, 02:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Yes, there have been several homes constructed in the Historic section over the past few years. I've seen at least three different construction companies building here. I wouldn't doubt for a moment that at least one of them, is also doing construction for the Developer. But the construction here isn't per the Developer's orders or permission.
Old 04-17-2024, 03:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvtheVillages View Post
That’s why you buy an insurance policy.
You need a owners liability policy which is very expensive and difficult to get.
Old 04-18-2024, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Why is it any different than building a house on a lot you bought anywhere else?
Old 04-18-2024, 05:30 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,144 Times in 884 Posts

I concur with comments above regarding many different companies that develop new homes in the historic section. If you go this route, make sure you research them well, even talk to references if possible. Some have taken years to finish the project. Others are way more dependable. Taxes should also be considered, since a new home versus manufactured are VASTLY more expensive.
Old 04-18-2024, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsPete View Post
"Search Homes" at TV website for Preowned, sort price Low to High. The first two were vacant, open lots in Silver Lake, around $90k, and no bond. The view from the drone makes it seem there was something there before.
What happened to the dwellings? Who removed them? Why?
I mentioned this in a post just yesterday on if T V will abandon the "north" historic area of T V. Yep, there are people that are currently building slab homes in that area.

One would carry insurance prior to and during the build. T V would have say in what can be built as per it is deed restricted land no different than say a home burning down anywhere in T V. ARC would be involved in that process, how could they not be if you have to get most everything approved in TV? Not to mention the county process for construction as well.

Many requirements would need to be met. Such as square foot requirements would need to be met as manufactured homes replacement would need to be approved by TV ARC or the Developer. RV's and tiny homes would be a "no" for obvious reasons. These things would make sense in a deed restricted community. Replacement of a home is covered in deed bylaws.

Its not complicated to figure out. People are paying a premium for those lots determined by current seller prices, no bonds would be due to infrastructure being paid off, $$ for removal of old homes, and building cost. Pretty basic real estate concept for older manufactured homes from the late 70's that are falling apart. Sell the thing for the land use as the lot falls under "location, location, location." People are investing in the "north" side of T V and are paying a pretty penny to do so.

Last edited by GizmoWhiskers; 04-18-2024 at 06:38 AM.
Old 04-18-2024, 06:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernrider75 View Post
Why is it any different than building a house on a lot you bought anywhere else?
Typically, in The Villages and many other planned developments, the developer owns the lot and the house until it is ready to occupy. Then, you go to closing and ownership is legally transferred from the developer to you. So, you have none of the liability for the many risks involved in owning a lot and constructing a house. The developer assumes those risks and has a very expensive builder's liability insurance policy. As an individual, you cannot buy or even afford a liability insurance policy to adequately cover these risks.

Yes, you can buy a vacant lot and hire a "reputable" contractor to build a house on your lot who hopefully is well funded and has adequate insurance. But, there is no way to know what could happen or how you can be sued as the property owner. For example, suppose an undocumented worker falls off the roof and is permanently disabled, and his employer neglected to buy workers compensation insurance. Or, suppose a child walks into the house during construction and get seriously injured. Suppose the contractor files for bankruptcy. To me, it is not worth the many risks of owning a vacant lot and building a house. I did do it many years ago for profit, but stopped because I couldn't sleep at night.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 04-18-2024 at 07:05 AM.
Old 04-18-2024, 07:22 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,073 Times in 537 Posts

Can the buyer replace the old mobile home with a manufactured home?

Tags
vacant, silver, lake, lots, drone

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.