Vacation rental expectations

Closed Thread
Old 01-29-2019, 03:45 PM
Veteran member
Default Vacation rental expectations

For years I’ve rented houses or apartments when I travel on vacation. Recently I’ve joined the owner side of the vacation rental equation. My partner and I have had some discussions of what renters expect, and I’d like to get a broader view.

Other than a sparkling clean residence that looks like the pictures, what do you expect when renting a vacation home? What amenities do you expect when you walk in the door?

I don’t want to disappoint any renters...
Old 01-29-2019, 04:56 PM
Veteran member

I want to know if the place I am renting has central a/c or window. When it says sleeps 6 does that mean 2 people have to sleep on a sofa bed, cot or air mattress? Are linens included? Towels? These are a few of the problems I have had in vacation rentals.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:17 PM

I expect some sort of info on the local area. In a place like TV, I'd expect the weekly activity schedule at the least. And a welcome folder with some menus from local food places that deliver, welcome letter with some important phone numbers in it, and any instructions regarding the home - where the extra TP is, a channel guide.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Last edited by John_W; 04-15-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:18 PM
Location: California, Massachusetts, California, Virginia, Morocco, Massachusetts, Buttonwood

As a renter, one thing I always appreciated was a small supply of coffee available on arrival. Maybe a couple Keurig pods, or just a small amount of ground coffee. Nice to have while unpacking and getting the lay of the land. We've rented in TV three times, and each time was fine. All we require is that everything works (AC, TV, etc), and is clean. Maybe we are just not really picky. We have always been very pleased with our accomodations in TV.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:33 PM
Veteran member

Our renters do get the Daily Sun, but I like the idea of getting take-out menus for them. We also provide a carousel of Keurig pods, and creamers, and tea, and a few bottles of wine. Who knows how long their trip was, and nothing like a glass of wine on the lanai after a long day. We provide a welcome book that gives them the lay of the land, and toiletry baskets in case they forgot their shampoo or toothbrushes. There are also the basics: paper towels, toilet paper, tissues, napkins, foil, laundry detergent, dishwashing detergent and dishwasher pods, etc.

However, the welcome book does say to replace what you’ve used. I’m wondering if that is an unreasonable request.

Clean, linens and all dish ware and kitchen ware supplied and everything working goes without saying. Though I am going to go back and check to make sure the bed sizes are specific.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:24 AM
Sage
Default Service/Maintenance Issues

When I have rented in The Villages, with one exception a couple of years ago, my experiences have been great.

One thing to be sure is to let the renters know who to contact in case something goes out of service while they are in the house. In one rental I had in The Villages, the internet and cable TV were out for about a day (not a huge issue) and the garage door stopped working. Fortunately the owner lived just a couple of miles away, and he took care of everything.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:35 AM
Default Protection !!!!

With so many renter scams today, protection for the renter is NEEDED.... Take Credit Cards or some other type of protection for both the renter and property owner.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:44 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

Cleanliness is number one, I've had a couple nightmare designer and premier homes that we rented over the years. In the premier which was expensive at the time, the owners had clothes in all of the closets and dressers, we were assigned a few drawers in a chest for all of our belongings. We ended up taking their stuff out and put it on the bed in a spare bedroom so we had room. They had a small rechargeable vacuum cleaner that would only run about 5 minutes on a 6 hour charge and we like to keep things clean. This home was rented by elderly owners who needed the income and lived with friends during the winter so we did not complain to them. We also had a designer with a pool that was not heated and a summer kitchen that had locks on everything so we could not use it, one bedroom was locked up and the cabinets in the laundry room had locks on them. None of this was told to us, it was advertised by an agency as a 3 bedroom designer with a pool and summer kitchen, it didn't say they were just to look at. In addition this particular home was filthy. There's really not much you can do about it once your here in the winter as there is no where else to go. One last thing, we also rented 5 homes that were absolutely perfect.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
However, the welcome book does say to replace what you’ve used. I’m wondering if that is an unreasonable request.
Yes, I think that is an unreasonable request.

It is easy for you to pick up the stuff when you are at Publix but it is pain for them to think they have to replace the items when they are packing to leave.

Having your rental supplied with the few things you mentioned is very nice of you, but I would leave the wine out. They may have a different taste than you do.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:11 AM

These days WiFi is a must. That can answer a renters needs (local food, stores, etc.)
Old 01-30-2019, 02:55 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
For years I’ve rented houses or apartments when I travel on vacation. Recently I’ve joined the owner side of the vacation rental equation. My partner and I have had some discussions of what renters expect, and I’d like to get a broader view.

Other than a sparkling clean residence that looks like the pictures, what do you expect when renting a vacation home? What amenities do you expect when you walk in the door?

I don’t want to disappoint any renters...
I have 2 rentals in TV - both Designer homes. I have been doing this for over 5 years and I can tell you what renters look for-
1. Golf Cart - Gas
2. Clean - has to be clean. We NEVER waive the cleaning fee on renters, so we have a pro come in and clean between them.
3. Fully Stocked Kitchen - like you have at home. NOT the bare necessities the Villages says you should have. Including a crock pot, coffee maker, and everything else you can think of.
4. A recliner - yes, you have to have one. Dudes like their recliners
5. Gas Grill - Another must have, people ask about this all the time.
6. Lots of towels and extra bed sheets
7. The Daily Sun

Those seem to be the hot buttons for Renters.
Ed
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 01-30-2019, 03:17 PM

A British Butler trained at the Silver Swan preferably named Jeeves or Cheens. An autographed photo of Dolly Parton. A bowl of M&M's, with the brown ones omitted. Coffee from beans grown in the hills of Kilauea, lovingly harvested from natives making at least 100K with full bennies. Benign neighbors not unpleasant to look at who will not make eye contact before 11 AM.
A copy of the days Nikkei, in English of course, brought up the driveway lovingly by a Tibetan Mastiff. Maybe some Almas Caviar to snack on and a glance at an ivory Billed Woodpecker in the backyard plumage.

Other than that, not picky. White Truffles I suppose would be a bonus.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:00 PM
Location: California, Massachusetts, California, Virginia, Morocco, Massachusetts, Buttonwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Post View Post
A British Butler trained at the Silver Swan preferably named Jeeves or Cheens. An autographed photo of Dolly Parton. A bowl of M&M's, with the brown ones omitted. Coffee from beans grown in the hills of Kilauea, lovingly harvested from natives making at least 100K with full bennies. Benign neighbors not unpleasant to look at who will not make eye contact before 11 AM.
A copy of the days Nikkei, in English of course, brought up the driveway lovingly by a Tibetan Mastiff. Maybe some Almas Caviar to snack on and a glance at an ivory Billed Woodpecker in the backyard plumage.

Other than that, not picky. White Truffles I suppose would be a bonus.
WHITE truffles? How gauche!
Old 01-30-2019, 07:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
These days WiFi is a must. That can answer a renters needs (local food, stores, etc.)
Agree with Tom C. WiFI is a must. I would pass on a home that did not have WiFI.

Tags
vacation, expect, renters, rental, i’ve

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.