Vehicle Accidents / Insurance Rates

Closed Thread
Old 02-03-2017, 06:49 PM
Veteran member
Default Vehicle Accidents / Insurance Rates

Seems like daily I read in The Villages News of multiple vehicle and golf cart accidents and thefts. Is this reflected in insurance rates in The Villages?
Old 02-03-2017, 07:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member

It should be. Is the cost of the accidents more or less than other towns?
Old 02-03-2017, 09:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Informative article in CR about how to save on insurance. Credit rating was listed as the reason you can get better rates even with a accident. Since I have never had insurance on a golf cart in any other state i still think $100 a year premium is pretty good.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I got rear ended while in my Golf Cart at The Dunkin Donuts Drive Thru several days ago. I didn't have my foot on the brake and the Subaru knocked me forward about 20-25 feet. Luckily no damage to the car or the cart but an Officer and EMT were there in what seemed like seconds. The gentleman who hit me was not having a good day as his wife had been operated on that day in the hospital rite there. We exchanged information in case I had an problems the next day and thankfully I didn't. I don't want to join the crowd of people on the television commercials sayings how much their lawyer got for them. People lawyer up to quickly and it costs everyone in the end. Thankfully I'm not hurt and the mans wife came thru the operation fine.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I got rear ended while in my Golf Cart at The Dunkin Donuts Drive Thru several days ago. I didn't have my foot on the brake and the Subaru knocked me forward about 20-25 feet. Luckily no damage to the car or the cart but an Officer and EMT were there in what seemed like seconds. The gentleman who hit me was not having a good day as his wife had been operated on that day in the hospital rite there. We exchanged information in case I had an problems the next day and thankfully I didn't. I don't want to join the crowd of people on the television commercials sayings how much their lawyer got for them. People lawyer up to quickly and it costs everyone in the end. Thankfully I'm not hurt and the mans wife came thru the operation fine.
I'm thankful you were o.k. after that "bump"!!!
Old 02-05-2017, 04:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

My insurance premiums just about doubled when I moved to Florida. I paid $901 a year for 2 cars in Maryland with USAA. They're a insurer for former military and suppose to have the best rates. I got rid of one car and now insurance on the smaller car alone is $872 a year with USAA.

I too was rear-ended but in my car last April. I was at the Marathon station on 466A having just gotten gas and was sitting, waiting for traffic so I could pull out when suddenly I was forced into the road by the car behind me. Luckily the outside lane was empty and my airbags didn't go off. I had to pull around the block into the bank parking lot where the other driver was sitting. I actually knew him from MVP, but only in casual passing. He has MS and said his foot missed the brake and took complete responsibility.

His insurer was Travelers and paid for a rental car from Enterprise for a week while Car Guys of Lady Lake fixed my car. The damage wasn't very noticeable, but yet it was $2400 worth of damage. Mostly stuff you couldn't see, such as to the trunk and to the bumper that is under the plastic bumper. Car Guys I highly recommend for anyone needing repairs. They actually had Travelers in their computer system, so my appraisal was available for them to see on my initial telephone contact. Even though it was an inconvenience, it went as smooth as could be and they kept me informed via phone with everything.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I'm so glad you're OK.
It's a reflection of the kind of person you are that you ended up your post with
"and the man's wife came thru the operation fine".
Old 02-06-2017, 09:46 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
My insurance premiums just about doubled when I moved to Florida. I paid $901 a year for 2 cars in Maryland with USAA. They're a insurer for former military and suppose to have the best rates. I got rid of one car and now insurance on the smaller car alone is $872 a year with USAA.

I too was rear-ended but in my car last April. I was at the Marathon station on 466A having just gotten gas and was sitting, waiting for traffic so I could pull out when suddenly I was forced into the road by the car behind me. Luckily the outside lane was empty and my airbags didn't go off. I had to pull around the block into the bank parking lot where the other driver was sitting. I actually knew him from MVP, but only in casual passing. He has MS and said his foot missed the brake and took complete responsibility.

His insurer was Travelers and paid for a rental car from Enterprise for a week while Car Guys of Lady Lake fixed my car. The damage wasn't very noticeable, but yet it was $2400 worth of damage. Mostly stuff you couldn't see, such as to the trunk and to the bumper that is under the plastic bumper. Car Guys I highly recommend for anyone needing repairs. They actually had Travelers in their computer system, so my appraisal was available for them to see on my initial telephone contact. Even though it was an inconvenience, it went as smooth as could be and they kept me informed via phone with everything.
Glad everything worked out for you, but you should NEVER use a body shop that the insurance company sends you to.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
Glad everything worked out for
you, but you should NEVER use a body shop that the insurance company sends you to.
They didn't send me there, I actually told their appraiser I was going to Jenkins Hyundai, which one was better Leesburg or Ocala? I don't know, but you can go wherever you want. So finally before he left, I said is there anyone you can recommend. He said, I'm fairly new in this territory, but I've heard good things about Car Guys.

After I talked to Car Guys on the phone and went there in person, it was the best experience I've ever had. For example they had to repaint the back of the car. There is absolutely no tell-tale marks or lines or anything. I know they did it, because the dealer's decal was no longer and it was on there for good. When I was on the phone I discussed getting a rental car, they said Enterprise is good, so I said that's fine. When we walked in the front door and gave them our name, they immedately called Enterprise at LSL and by the time the paperwork was done, Enterprise was there waiting.

They have 5 locations, the owner previously owned several location in the Tampa Bay area but I was told he sold them all to retire. Since he was still in his 40's he didn't like retirement, so he started this new chain. They are also in Ocala, Spring Hill and one other besides Lady Lake.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:30 PM
Sage

The Village Golf Carts gives a loaner to customers.
I have a loaner now because I've ordered a new golf cart; it has insurance only for theft and fire.
I'm afraid to drive the loaner because it does not have seat belts or any personal liability insurance.

Last edited by Barefoot; 02-08-2017 at 01:37 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
vehicle, villages, rates, accidents, insurance

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.