Vented Microwave?

Closed Thread
Old 10-28-2021, 06:23 PM
Default Vented Microwave?

Our microwave is positioned above our stove and we frequently use the microwave vent while cooking on the stove. We have noticed a lot of grease on the cabinets above the microwave after a meal. Does anyone know how the microwaves are vented or what is required by code?
Old 10-28-2021, 07:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,160 Times in 2,252 Posts

There is another thread active on this subject, and another poster stated Designer homes have the MW vented outside Villas do not. I have no idea if this is accurate and I do not know the building code. So, you can call the Sumter County building department and ask about the building code. If your house is less than 10 (?) years old you should be able to get your house plans. Our house plans show a cent through the roof (designer home 2013 vintage). If you house has a vent, then the other possibilities are: the may be a plate in the back of the MW that was not removed, and apparently some MW have some type of setting or lever that directs the air inside or outside.
Old 10-28-2021, 07:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,743 Times in 5,255 Posts

It sounds like the microwave is being vented through the vents on the top front part of the microwave. You should be able to feel the vented air coming out of the top front part of the microwave. Also, there is a removable metal mesh filter that can be removed, cleaned, and replaced. Is it possible that the filter is missing or very dirty? Another option is to attach a plastic diverter on top of the microwave behind the vent to divert the greasy air away from the cabinets. In any event, the inside vented microwave is not a good situation, but I believe it does comply with the code.
Old 10-28-2021, 08:28 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

There seems to be duplicate type posts on this right now. Designer homes have the MW vented either out the exterior wall if it is on an exterior wall, or through the roof if it is on an inside partition. Villas always have the MW vent expelled into the kitchen, using a grease filter.

If you find yours different, i.e., if you have a designer home that vents into the kitchen, then they simply forgot to change the interior MW vent option. It is just a diverter plate. This is very rare, but I have found it a few times in the over 7,000 new homes we have inspected in The Villages.

Changing the venting on a typical villa to an outside duct would be costly.
Old 10-29-2021, 10:20 AM

We found the other post and agree the diverted plate must not have been positioned correctly. Looking forward to your inspection next month.
Old 10-29-2021, 04:35 PM

Funny, I bought a new house in Citrus Grove with just the microwave filters, and I noticed after frying something, my eyes were burning and it smelled for days after. I posted a question yesterday about it also like you about patio villa without venting to the outside. I can't believe the builder did this. All the apartment, homes, condos in California I lived in vented to the outside. I heard the cabinets will get all greasy. What a mistake for the builder to allow this to happen.Hopefully the builder comes up with a better solution during my walk though next week. I like the comment about diverting the air away from the cabinets but then where would the grease go?

Last edited by Calisport; 10-29-2021 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-29-2021, 06:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisport View Post
Funny, I bought a new house in Citrus Grove and I noticed after frying something, my eyes were burning and it smelled for days after. I posted a question yesterday about it also like you about patio villa without venting to the outside. I can't believe the builder did this. All the apartment, homes, condos in California I lived in vented to the outside. I heard the cabinets will get all greasy. What a mistake for the builder to allow this to happen.Hopefully the builder comes up with a better solution during my walk though next week. I like the comment about diverting the air away from the cabinets but then where would the grease go?
Far from and expert. The OP was about a microwave. Ours does not vent outside but goes through a screen the grease is,"supposed" to stick to the screen which you are supposed to remove and clean. The screen is aluminum and we run it through the dishwasher. Venting it outside, we do not have that system but I would imaging you would need to clean the duct work and the grease will mark your home where it exits..

As used in a restaurant you can get a range hood and duct all cooking smoke outside.
Cost-I don't know. Since it involves a fan, I assume you need an opening to allow outside air in otherwise the fan is like sucking air out of a coke bottle. Air has to come in to be blown out.
Closed Thread

Tags
microwave, vented, stove, required, microwaves

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.