Venting about Sumter Grand

Closed Thread
Old 04-15-2018, 11:22 AM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

It is interesting that babks/credit card companies insist on instant payments and yet take forever to correct mistakes if they are not in their favor.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPutnam1863 View Post
It is interesting that babks/credit card companies insist on instant payments and yet take forever to correct mistakes if they are not in their favor.
It is the golden rule. He who has the gold, makes the rules.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
There are 2 sides to every story...I'd love to hear theirs as well as your tone when you voiced the mistake. As for the money isn't your mothers account protected from theft??? If not....why not??? Why haven't you mentioned calling the bank with a stop payment????

If they did as you say...then it will be resolved properly. On the other hand if a person goes off the deep end in their complaining then all bets are off.
I was not nasty to them. I was polite and respectful. And they admitted they made a mistake when they withdrew it through ACH after my mom had cancelled all ACH payments. Mom wrote a check, which they deposited Monday, then on Friday, they withdrew it a second time through an ACH. So, nothing to stop payment on. The bank said Sumter Grand had to refund it to her, there was nothing they could do. My issue isn't with the error, my issue is with them not immediately refunding it! They acknowledge its an error, so they should fix it. Not stall for 10 days and counting. That's not "resolved properly"! Pay her back - that's a lot of money! Just saying.
And I did go to Seniors vs Crime. Sumter Grand isn't calling them back either!
Old 04-15-2018, 02:29 PM

So true!
Old 04-15-2018, 02:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doglover9409 View Post
I was not nasty to them. I was polite and respectful. And they admitted they made a mistake when they withdrew it through ACH after my mom had cancelled all ACH payments. Mom wrote a check, which they deposited Monday, then on Friday, they withdrew it a second time through an ACH. So, nothing to stop payment on. The bank said Sumter Grand had to refund it to her, there was nothing they could do. My issue isn't with the error, my issue is with them not immediately refunding it! They acknowledge its an error, so they should fix it. Not stall for 10 days and counting. That's not "resolved properly"! Pay her back - that's a lot of money! Just saying.
And I did go to Seniors vs Crime. Sumter Grand isn't calling them back either!
If she cancelled all ACH payments, why can't the bank take the money back? They are not allowed to remove money from your bank account without permission.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
There are 2 sides to every story...I'd love to hear theirs as well as your tone when you voiced the mistake. As for the money isn't your mothers account protected from theft??? If not....why not??? Why haven't you mentioned calling the bank with a stop payment????

If they did as you say...then it will be resolved properly. On the other hand if a person goes off the deep end in their complaining then all bets are off.
That was quite harsh. Apparently Sumter Grand admitted to their mistake. That’s an odd amount of money to be withdrawn. But there are always 3 sides to every story.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
If she cancelled all ACH payments, why can't the bank take the money back? They are not allowed to remove money from your bank account without permission.
The bank said they couldn't (most likely wouldn't) correct the error. Pass-the-buck-type situation, I guess. But it's really Sumter Grand's error and needs to be addressed by them immediately.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
The bank said they couldn't (most likely wouldn't) correct the error. Pass-the-buck-type situation, I guess. But it's really Sumter Grand's error and needs to be addressed by them immediately.
Since tomorrow is a business/banking day, I hope to hear of the resolution on this Forum.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
You can submit a complaint to the Federal Government at consumerfinance.gov, and they and will take action against the bank. They have no right to tell you that they cannot take the money back if you did not authorize an ACH transfer. The bank is strictly regulated by the Government and they do not want any complaints. I would tell the bank that you are filing a complaint, and they may change their tune.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
The true test of a facility is not when everything is running smoothly. The true test is when there is an issue that needs solving. Sumter Grand is failing the test. They erroneously took $4,662 from my 85 year old widowed mother's checking account (causing her to overdraw it) 8 days ago and I can't get them to return it. They acknowledged they made a mistake, but fixing it? That is not happening. All they do is make excuses and stall. Okay, mistakes happen, I get it. But they should FIX IT! Not give us the run around. Who can afford something like that? And now the Exec Dir won't even return my calls. Not a very caring attitude for their clientele. Beware!
I feel your pain Doglover. Many years ago the Social Security Adm. erroneously removed money from my deceased father’s checking acct. without my knowledge. I was executor of his estate, sole beneficiary and had poa over all matters. It was one hell of a fight with them to return the money. They had admitted they made a mistake but it took many phone calls and a couple of visits to the SSA office plus a letter to my Congessional representative, who just happened to be the Chair of the Ways and Means Committee in Washington ( that’s where The SSA and other govt agencies get their funding), to get the money 18 months later! Then I only got half because they gave other half to my half brother who was excluded from Dad’s will. I had a very good income so the amount of money owed me wasn’t the issue. Several months after all this I get a letter from the SSA saying I owed them that money back as I had cashed the check twice. Another trip to the SSA office where I met a clerk who didn’t know s—-t and rudely indicated I didn’t read the form correctly and I pay the amount owed them immediately. I wasn’t so nice back to her and a supervisor invited me back behind the bulletproof glass to work out the matter. I demanded they show me the two checks I had supposedly endorsed. She found I was correct there was only one check to me but I still had to submit handwriting samples because there had been Congressional inquiry in the case a few months back. In the end I was right. Here is the last kicker. I got a 1099 as the money was reported as income for me to the IRS. THE END! I pray that your issues will be resolved quickly. I wish both you and your Mom well.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:17 AM

Don’t think Freedom Pointe/Brookdale is any better. I’ve been dealing with a similar issue (contract that they decided not to honor), been dealing with the ‘tip person in charge’ for over a year ago and he won’t answer anymore emails. If it wasn’t so hard to move mom due to memory issues, I would’ve moved her a long time ago! I thought I put her in the ‘best place’ but obviously not. And she is not receiving the care she’s paying for. Disgusting the way they treat the residents.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
The true test of a facility is not when everything is running smoothly. The true test is when there is an issue that needs solving. Sumter Grand is failing the test. They erroneously took $4,662 from my 85 year old widowed mother's checking account (causing her to overdraw it) 8 days ago and I can't get them to return it. They acknowledged they made a mistake, but fixing it? That is not happening. All they do is make excuses and stall. Okay, mistakes happen, I get it. But they should FIX IT! Not give us the run around. Who can afford something like that? And now the Exec Dir won't even return my calls. Not a very caring attitude for their clientele. Beware!
DOGLOVER, I take it you're an American citizen. I've only been retired for 11 yrs. & being a tax payer & paying my bills myself, we all know whether it's the local govt. all the way to the federal govt. they don't care if you live on a fixed income of $150. a month & 85 yrs. old they would put you out in the street for your last nickel. Nothing is based on your income from like me, 11 yrs. ago. TV isn't any different, if you live here you'll pay what we say, NO breaks, NO feeling sorry for you. TV is just as hard hearted as the Federal govt. I really feel sorry for your 85 yr. old mother. It's a shame the Govt's. can't adjust for the elderly that can barely make ends meet. Truly sorry to hear that this great place could take advantage of your mother & other elderly people. Personally I'm looking for a place back in Ohio, only because we want to get closer to grandchildren. I'll miss TV but not all the cons we've found out about. Again sorry about your mother!
Old 04-16-2018, 07:04 AM
Veteran member

My question is. What kind of CARE is your mother going to receive now??? I wouldn’t be nieve to think everything will be “hunky dory” after this.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:48 AM

Exactly!!!!
Old 04-16-2018, 08:43 AM

Perhaps someone is hiding something else here ? This withdrawal may have been made by a corrupt employee who no longer is employed and the powers that be do not wish to draw negative attention to their business.
Closed Thread

Tags
test, true, grand, return, sumter

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.