Vents in O.H. Garage Door?

Old 04-13-2024, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
I had Solar Guys put in a garage exhaust fan into the attic and they also put in low vents.
I think it actually keeps the garage cooler than outside because it's always in the shade.
Cost was relatively minimal and I've had them for 12 years and I think they're great. Just my opinion. I have electric heat, so the gas was not a factor, just a cooler garage (and attic)
Same here

We had solar guys in stall our fan about a year ago. It'll keep the garage at ambient temp...which is about 95 and humid in the summer vs. 110-115 before. It'll also keep the attic down around 105....vs. the 130-150 we were hitting without it. Insulated door kept the inside surface at around 100...down from up to 150 on some days!

It's not air conditioning but it does make a significant difference. They cut and installed the vents. I think they look perfectly fine.

Joe
Old 04-13-2024, 10:43 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,352 Times in 1,449 Posts

I put the vents on the bottom of my doors as well as Owens Cornings insulation and an attic fan with a ceiling vent. The insulation really helps with the daytime heat from the sun beating on the doors as well as any outside noise, the vents help cool it off at the end of the day as when the attic get's hot the fan runs well after sundown and it pulls cool evening air into the garage as the fan blows the higher hot air out leaving the garage nice and cool. For the few dollars the vents cost it was well worth in my opinion.
Old 04-13-2024, 03:27 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boffin View Post
1. Without installing some form of additional cooling device; typically a mini split, achieving anything less than outside ambient air temperature in the garage is not possible.
2. Since my garage is south facing I put in the following items:
A. Radiant barrier in attic over garage.
B. 3/4” decking in attic over garage.
C. Radiant barrier covers in attic over attic access panels.
D. Radiant barrier on inside of garage doors.
E. Two vents, one low on golf cart garage door and one high on main garage door.
F. One ceiling fan in garage.
3. Garage temperature is always within 5 degrees of outside ambient air temperature.
Seems like a lot of stuff and expense for 5 degrees.
Old 04-15-2024, 09:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,953 Times in 2,464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNXGuy View Post
Why would one pass this incorrect information on???

Depends on what year house was built and what county? Mine has vent to attic close to gas furnace and gas water heater.

Tags
garage, vents, door, provide, helping

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.