viewing restructions prior to purchasing

Closed Thread
Old 05-19-2008, 01:32 PM
Default viewing restructions prior to purchasing

I have been dreaming of living in TV land for two years now. We have visited twice and met with our salesperson each time but I can't seem to get any of the restrictions or rules in writing. He says I will get them when we purchase our home as each neighborhood is different. I can understand that part but I am not confortable dropping such a large amount of cash on something unless I have read everything I can. On another topic, I see some TV residents are a bit upset that nonresidents are using the amenities. This is the very thing I am concerned about. How it is handled? I want to see it in writing. I do not want to find out TV is overcrowded with outsiders thus preventing me from enjoying what I am paying for. I would be off the charts if I lived there. We are coming down the first week in June again to look at houses but I am having a hard time buying without full disclosure prior to any money changing hands.

Thanks to all of you! Every posting has been informative.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Re: viewing restructions prior to purchasing

If you're buying new maybe you should call your salesperson and find what Villages you will be looking in and ask if they can email or FAX you the rules/restrictions for those Villages.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:17 PM
Veteran member

The basic list of restrictions (but not limited to these) are:

CYV - landscaping must be approved by architectural committee before planting and/or removing. CYV have more restrictions than other homes. We cannot paint or do anything different to our driveways. Our front door and garage door must be white or black and even at that, if you want to put in a screen garage door, it must be approved by the architectural committee and must be white or black even then. We cant put any lawn ornaments out front.

Other homes, cannot put up any fences. Most changes to the driveway or landscaping must be approved by the same committee mentioned above. Even though you can paint or otherwise change your driveway, it still has to be approved.

Truthfully, you should just ask a few other residents in different types of homes what they were told they can and can't do.

I do know that out in the newer area they are testing the "plastic type" fence around some of the ranch style homes. I don't know if you like fences or not but you can look at them.

It is really important to understand the requirements/restrictions because if you build something or change something that is restricted, you may very well have to change it back.

All things aside, you will LOVE it here. I hope you get great neighbors and have a long and healthy life in the Villages. :bigthumbsup:
Old 05-19-2008, 03:48 PM
Eternal Member

If you have the neighborhood narrowed down and the type of home (designer, ranch, courtyard, etc.), ask the sales rep for a copy of that portion of a deed for a similar unit that contains the covenants and restrictions. I doesn't have to be exactly the same. If you're looking in the Hadleyville, Hemingway, Amelia, Duval area, they'd all be similar enough. Also, probably ranches, designers, and premiers are close enough for gov't work. The sales rep should be able go get a copy of this from the folks who do deeds and since it's not tied to a specific property, there should be no privacy issues.
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 05-19-2008, 03:51 PM
Sage

Terra,

See below for a new post that shows the page from TV's District website on deed restrictions for areas south of 466 (where all new construction is occurring). As Fran says, there are some additional restrictions for CYV and each neighborhood might have some small diffs. I guess the best summary I can give you is that the deed restrictions make sense and are not onerous....and the process for submitting an architectural change request is simple and efficient.

Non-residents using amenties....from anecdotal reports on this forum it seems to be worse in some areas than others. One thing you need to realize is that in the winter time many homes are rented out and many owners have guests visiting....and, all these folks have pretty full access to the amenities (pools, rec centers, golf, etc). The theory, of course, is that the homeowner is paying his/her amenity fees and their guest/renters are entitled to enjoy them. This is perfectly legit under the rules.

Non-residents/non-guests from outside the community who just come in and poach on our facilities should be tossed out.

TV is a wonderful place to live...yes, it gets more crowded in the wintertime but that's that many more great people you will have the opportunity to meet and get to know. And those seasonal residents pay amenity fees all year for the benefit of using them for 3 months.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:27 PM
Veteran member

Ms 07 that link doesn't work for me???
Is it me? my puter? or have I gone brain dead?? Don't answer the latter ;D
Handie :joke:
Old 05-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

It didn't work for me either. We have three cats and I think ONLY TWO are allowed. >
Old 05-19-2008, 04:49 PM

Thanks to all! This information is just what I was looking for. I have no plans to paint ANYTHING for a while and I'm not big on fences but having never lived with deed restrictions before, I want to make sure I will be able abide by them and be happy in TV land. Just need to make sure I know what your noise ordinance is. I may be old but still like to crank it up sometimes!
I just wished I could have made it down before the buffalo left
And the trolley still rolled
Hope they keep the TV stations until I get acclimated.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:51 PM
Sage

Gracie and Handie...thanks for pointing that out...not sure why link didn't work; tried a couple of alternatives and they didn't work either....so, here is the text from the Villages website:

Remember this is a summary...more detail is contained in the legal docs you sign off on at settlement.

========================================

Deed Restrictions
You have chosen to live in one of the most beautiful and well-operated communities in Florida.

It will remain a premier community because the homeowners support strict compliance with the Declaration of Restrictions (DRs). Many residents choose The Villages because of the restrictions. To maintain the overall aesthetic qualities desirable in a first-class community, certain activities and property uses must be restricted.

Since The Villages has been in the process of development over the last 40 years, the restrictions for various communities within The Villages have evolved over time. The following is a summary of many items covered in the Declaration of Restrictions. Please refer to the Declaration of Restrictions for you individual neighborhood for more detailed information.

Age Restrictions: The Villages is an adult community designed to provide housing for persons 55 years of age or older. All homes must be occupied by at least one person who is fifty-five years of age. Persons under the age of 19 years may visit for a maximum of 30 days per year but may not reside permanently in a any dwelling.

Animals: Only domestic pets are permitted and they shall not be allowed to make any unreasonable amount of noise or create a nuisance. Pets must be controlled by a leash when not in the confines of the home. As a courtesy, owners should pick up after their pets. All city and county pet ordinances should be adhered to.

Maintenance of Landscaping: Landscaping will be maintained to provide a neat and clean appearance. Removal of weeds, dead plants, grass clippings, trash and debris is required to meet this objective. Trees with trunks exceeding four (4) inches in diameter will need Architectural Approval to be removed from any homesite. Lawn ornaments are prohibited, except for seasonal displays not exceeding a thirty-day duration.

Storage Sheds: All outside structures for storage or utility purposes must be attached to the home. Items not in active use should not be visible from neighboring property or common areas.

Commercial Trash Collection: Garbage should be in plastic bags and placed curbside on the designated days only. All rubbish, trash or garbage shall be removed from homesites and parcels and not be allowed to accumulate.

Signs: A sign showing the owner’s name will be the only sign permitted to be displayed on the exterior of the home.

Building Repair: Dwellings and structures must at all times be kept in good repair, adequately painted and otherwise clean.

Fences: No fence, barrier, wall or structure of any kind or nature shall be placed on the property (including chain link or wooden fences). No side or rear hedges exceeding four (4) feet in height shall be permitted.

Trucks, Trailers, Recreational Vehicles, Campers and Boats: All such vehicles require a clearance from your Neighborhood Watch representative to park in The Villages. A clearance is issued for a maximum of 72 hours. Vehicles which fit in a garage are exempt.

Motor Vehicles: No inoperable vehicle may be stored or parked on any homesite.

Satellite Dishes: The Developer has guidelines on placement for dishes. Please refer to them before placing your dish.

Parking: Vehicles are to be kept in owners’ garages or concrete driveways. When visiting The Villages facilities and commercial areas golf cart parking is available in designated areas.

Residential Use Restrictions: Property must be devoted only to single-family residential use. Commercial and or professional activities may not be conducted in any home or on any property.

Lawn Ornaments: Some neighborhoods prohibit lawn ornaments. Please refer to your covenants.

Nature Preserves: The Villages actively participates in the Federal Endangered Species Act which prohibits the tampering with or the taking of any protected species (including their eggs, nests, dens or homes). Any person who knowingly violates the prohibitions of the Endangered Species Act may be subject to a sizable Federal fine. You must restrain your pets (including cats) at all times when in these areas.

Architectural Review Committee (ARC): This committee is responsible for approving any and all alterations, changes or modifications to the property and home as built by the developer. This requirement for prior approval includes but is not limited to: porch or patio enclosures, canopies, awnings, garage screens, additional concrete, coloring of walks, landscaping and driveways and modifications to previously approved plans. An application with a set of plans must be submitted and approval granted before work is started. You may print out an Application, obtain an application at Architectural Review, located at 1894 Laurel Manor Drive, 751-6719 or you may find one in The Villages Phone Directory.
This summary of our governing rules is meant to call attention to some of the major items. It is by no means comprehensive. Please take time to read your Declaration of Restrictions for complete details of your responsibilities.

During Neighborhood and Village Watch patrol rounds, the patrol may observe violations. Should a violation be confirmed, a restriction reminder notice will be left on the resident’s front door. The reminder will state the restriction in question and the time frame in which the restriction violation should be remedied. If a resident has a question regarding this notice, please call the number on the notice.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Ridge

Thanks to all! This information is just what I was looking for. I have no plans to paint ANYTHING for a while and I'm not big on fences but having never lived with deed restrictions before, I want to make sure I will be able abide by them and be happy in TV land. Just need to make sure I know what your noise ordinance is. I may be old but still like to crank it up sometimes!
I just wished I could have made it down before the buffalo left
And the trolley still rolled
Hope they keep the TV stations until I get acclimated.
Cancel your lawn mowing guy, I'll bring a Buffalo or two over to your yard. Of course you wiil be responsible for "cleaning up"
Old 05-19-2008, 05:11 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl
It didn't work for me either. We have three cats and I think ONLY TWO are allowed. >
SHHHHHH OK everyone make believe you didn't read that
Old 05-20-2008, 01:04 AM
Veteran member

graciegirl ..... if you don't tell I won't tell.....I have a dear friend with three cats who has lived here almost three years...not to worry unless you move next to scrooge!!!!! :bigthumbsup:

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.