Villa gate security question

Closed Thread
Old 01-27-2019, 10:35 AM
Default Villa gate security question

We are new to The Villages. We have a Villa in the Mallory area. As some of you know. If our neighbor or a their contractor wants access to a portion of their villa they need to come through our gate. My question is .... do we have the right to put a lock on this gate? We dont mind letting our neighbor or their contractors in when they need something done .. but we also dont want it wide open to anyone. Is there any regulation preventing us from securing our gate.? Thank you in advance.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Last edited by John_W; 04-15-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:44 AM
Location: Brooklyn, Staten Island, Mount Hope, NY, Villa De Laguna

Lock it up. People need permission to enter your property. But you will have some people here thinking it is ok to trespass
Old 01-27-2019, 12:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,379 Times in 2,520 Posts

No don't lock it.
People may need to use it when their dogs want a Poop.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:20 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Put a lock on it. If they need access, let them ring your doorbell.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

I would ask community standards, the property lines and the fence lines are not the same for villas, so by putting a lock on this gate you may actually be limiting access of your neighbor to some of their property. I found the whole arrangement of the villas to be very confusing, we did not buy one because of that.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Last edited by John_W; 04-15-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:08 PM

I was told no by someone who lives in a court yard villa. She was told no by community standards. The neighbors need access to that side of the house. I’d be interested to know what you find out from the real authorities.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Been in a CYV for almost 15 years. Have 2 gates. Both are locked and keyed alike. One on the inside and one on the outside. Neighbor has a key and calls before using it. She has a "bug guy" and a "house wash guy" and we do too. All 4 companies know they have to call the day before or they will be making another trip.

Took me 10 seconds to figure it out but ...... I'm NOT an engineer! But I do talk to my neighbor.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:31 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Gate

[QUOTE=mtoneff;1619591]We are new to The Villages. We have a Villa in the Mallory area. As some of you know. If our neighbor or a their contractor wants access to a portion of their villa they need to come through our gate. My question is .... do we have the right

We found a guy in our back yard that was not supposed to be there. We have a Villa, so maybe your layout is the same. We now lock our gate and our neighbor did not like it. It is locked and will stay locked. Safety here is going to be very important if you look carefully about where we are going, seriously. If any one wants to go in our back yard , to service anything nearby, they can ask or they can stay out. PERIOD, We found the "Villages" office was no help here, we KEEP IT LOCKED.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:37 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Whenever we have to inspect a Courtyard Villa, we respectfully ask the owner to contact the adjacent owner to get permission for us to access that area. We need to inspect that side of the home also. We are only over there for a few minutes and never pay attention to that adjacent neighbors area....we are focusing on the house we are inspecting.

There have been times when we find this gate locked with no access....we then need to disclaim that area of the home. We can sometimes see defects, etc, from just looking over the gate.

It is a unique situation that we try to handle the best we can.

Frank D.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

[QUOTE=Brawnwy123;1619674]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtoneff View Post
We are new to The Villages. We have a Villa in the Mallory area. As some of you know. If our neighbor or a their contractor wants access to a portion of their villa they need to come through our gate. My question is .... do we have the right

We found a guy in our back yard that was not supposed to be there. We have a Villa, so maybe your layout is the same. We now lock our gate and our neighbor did not like it. It is locked and will stay locked. Safety here is going to be very important if you look carefully about where we are going, seriously. If any one wants to go in our back yard , to service anything nearby, they can ask or they can stay out. PERIOD, We found the "Villages" office was no help here, we KEEP IT LOCKED.
I agree! We had 2 bad experiences before locking.

One morning let the dogs out and they ran out the open gate and one morning just as I awoke I saw a figure walk past the bedroom window. When I met him in the back yard in my tightie whities holding what must have looked like a cannon to him..... I decided to put locks on the gates here. No problems since. And the best part is the bug guy that sprays the house across the street is still alive and I'm not in jail.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:14 PM

See Attachment ---- OK. So here is the legal language The Villages uses. The question is - The language of ( reasonable time) can be interpreted differently. IE: My (reasonable time ) is when someone gives notification before entering. Please chime in and let me know your thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	33e4r5t.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	78316  
Old 01-27-2019, 10:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
As a CYV owner for almost 8 years, I usually enjoy all your comments and agree with everything you post except this time. CYV's have privacy fenced backyards, it's their main selling point. Telling a homeowner their enclosed backyard is not all theirs, would open a large can of worms. Yes, my previous neighbor use to ask a couple of times a year to go in the backyard so he could paint the side of his house or spray for bugs. He asked, he wouldn't just open the gate and go in, what if you have nude sunbathers in the backyard? What if you had a pool and they fell in and drown? Everybody I know has a lock on the gate, if they need to get in, they can ask and say why.

The way I read and understand the guidelines in the CCD site for CYVs the neighbors just can’t Walt’s in,. they need to come to front door and ring the doorbell. You can lock you’re gate especially if you have pets. they need to ask for access if they need to do maintenance on wall of their house. IMO everybody that live in cyvs need to go to site and read the rules especially easements.

On the other hand you can’t plant anything that touches there house or lean anything up against their wall or hang anything on it. I think there is one foot rule of nothing within foot of structure, which included you’re access property out you’re front doorPlus you’re irrigation can’t spray on their house and cause water damage. Lucky for me I live on corner and my yard has no neighboring property.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:26 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtoneff View Post
we are new to the villages. We have a villa in the mallory area. As some of you know. If our neighbor or a their contractor wants access to a portion of their villa they need to come through our gate. My question is .... Do we have the right to put a lock on this gate? We dont mind letting our neighbor or their contractors in when they need something done .. But we also dont want it wide open to anyone. Is there any regulation preventing us from securing our gate.? Thank you in advance.
we lock ours, always and will unlock if needed by maintenance etc.
Closed Thread

Tags
gate, villa, neighbor, question, contractors

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.