Villa gate security question

Closed Thread
Old 01-29-2019, 09:03 AM
Gold member

We keep our gate locked, but use a key clip instead of a lock. I don't have to look for a key or remember a combination, and it secures the gate very well.

lucky-line-products-key-accessories-46001-64_1000-jpg
Old 01-29-2019, 10:41 AM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtoneff View Post
We are new to The Villages. We have a Villa in the Mallory area. As some of you know. If our neighbor or a their contractor wants access to a portion of their villa they need to come through our gate. My question is .... do we have the right to put a lock on this gate? We dont mind letting our neighbor or their contractors in when they need something done .. but we also dont want it wide open to anyone. Is there any regulation preventing us from securing our gate.? Thank you in advance.
ANSWER

Reply, it is your yard, your gate, lock it for security, notify your neighbor and be willing to unlock for maintenance.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:36 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
As a CYV owner for almost 8 years, I usually enjoy all your comments and agree with everything you post except this time. CYV's have privacy fenced backyards, it's their main selling point. Telling a homeowner their enclosed backyard is not all theirs, would open a large can of worms. Yes, my previous neighbor use to ask a couple of times a year to go in the backyard so he could paint the side of his house or spray for bugs. He asked, he wouldn't just open the gate and go in, what if you have nude sunbathers in the backyard? What if you had a pool and they fell in and drown? Everybody I know has a lock on the gate, if they need to get in, they can ask and say why.
This may just be a popular daily activity for CYV dwellers, who knows? On our first Lifestyle visit in 2012 we were staying in a very nice CYV at Creekside Landing at Lake Sumter and just happened to strike up a brief conversation over the courtyard wall with the neighbors to the rear. They were quick to tell us that they bought a CYV for the privacy and freedom to be without clothing if they so desired. No, we didn't peek over the wall so I have no idea what their state of dress was as we spoke. But as for the main topic of this thread, I think all it takes is a little common sense & common courtesy to work out the gate lock situation. Common sense tells you that a neighbor does have the right to access the side of his/her home that is in your courtyard, but they should also display the common courtesy to ask permission to enter your courtyard. It shouldn't be that difficult to arrange to satisfy both parties.

east central Illinois, St. Louis, Baton Rouge, Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, AL
Closed Thread

Tags
gate, villa, neighbor, question, contractors

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.