Yard Responsibility Between Patio Villas

Closed Thread
Old 05-30-2023, 04:29 PM
Default Yard Responsibility Between Patio Villas

I saw the following posted in a FB group and I’m trying to get them an answer:

“Question on maintenance and enhancements to patio villa lots.

I see on the plat map the property lines go approximately halfway between each patio villa. However, when I see people maintaining or enhancing their lots, they don’t go to halfway between the homes. They go from one edge of their house to the edge of the next house. Basically each owner is maintaining a portion of their lot and a portion of the neighbor’s lot on one side of their home, while letting their other neighbor maintain/plant/enhance right up to the other side of their house. I can only assume it is being done as a means to keep things looking even between homes, but that means my neighbor would then have to maintain up against the other side of my patio villa.

Is this standard operating procedure? We want to remove the pine straw mulch and replace it with stone mulch, not removing any grass but will be installing edging between grass and the mulch, but if we do it according to the property lines on the plat map, we would only go half way between each house. We would also only mow the grass half way between each house. That would not be as visually appealing at all.

Is there an unwritten, but understood rule with patio villages that we will ignore the property lines and instead take care of the property from driveway to driveway instead of property line to property line, with the goal of uniformity?

Just trying to understand the proper and neighborly way to handle the yard care. This is not our main home, but an additional patio villa. Thx much in advance for helping to clarify.”
Old 05-30-2023, 04:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,886 Times in 5,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRP2TV View Post

I see on the plat map the property lines go approximately halfway between each patio villa. However, when I see people maintaining or enhancing their lots, they don’t go to halfway between the homes. They go from one edge of their house to the edge of the next house. Basically each owner is maintaining a portion of their lot and a portion of the neighbor’s lot on one side of their home, while letting their other neighbor maintain/plant/enhance right up to the other side of their house. I can only assume it is being done as a means to keep things looking even between homes, but that means my neighbor would then have to maintain up against the other side of my patio villa.

Is this standard operating procedure? We want to remove the pine straw mulch and replace it with stone mulch, not removing any grass but will be installing edging between grass and the mulch, but if we do it according to the property lines on the plat map, we would only go half way between each house. We would also only mow the grass half way between each house. That would not be as visually appealing at all.

Is there an unwritten, but understood rule with patio villages that we will ignore the property lines and instead take care of the property from driveway to driveway instead of property line to property line, with the goal of uniformity?

Just trying to understand the proper and neighborly way to handle the yard care. This is not our main home, but an additional patio villa. Thx much in advance for helping to clarify.”
I don't know about patio villas, but courtyard villas have a sideyard easement inside the rear fenced in area, and a driveway easement outside of the fence. The deed restriction document clearly defines which neighbor maintains which part of the land. In some cases, you are required to maintain the next door neighbor's property and vice versa. Read your deed restriction or covenant document, which is available at "districtgov.org".
Old 05-30-2023, 04:52 PM

Yes. One is supposed to maintain the area between their concrete patio side all the way to the neighbors house. While the property line does go between the homes, it is nice that an owner can control the landscaping all the way to the next home on that side. Can make for a pretty patio area as opposed to having some nice landscaping on your half and grass/weeds to the next house.
Old 05-30-2023, 04:56 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,425 Times in 1,468 Posts

You might want to ask the neighbor before you put stone up against his villa and get ARC approval also.
Old 05-30-2023, 04:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,886 Times in 5,317 Posts

OP, this is not about being neighborly. I am almost certain that, if you read your deed restrictions, they will clearly define the maintenance requirements for you and your neighbors.
Old 05-30-2023, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
OP, this is not about being neighborly. I am almost certain that, if you read your deed restrictions, they will clearly define the maintenance requirements for you and your neighbors.
^^^ What he said.

And what I stated above was what was in our maintenance requirements on the patio villa we owned last year.
Old 05-31-2023, 05:27 AM

Yes. I live in patio home and I take care up to my neighbor wall to left of me which my front door is located. I do talk to my Nextdoor neighbors to confirm. What you want to do I can’t see any backlash from them.
Old 05-31-2023, 06:07 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,306 Times in 564 Posts

Yellow paint would make for a nice demarcation line…. Not sure if “ Stone mulch” is allowed without ARC written approval and a Blessing from your neighbor..
Old 05-31-2023, 06:33 AM

Quote:

Correct answers so far. Will only add that nothing growing - plants trees or flowers can touch your neighbors home and you need to allow enough area for vendors to walk through for electrical gas internet all buried under easement and power washing of home.
Old 05-31-2023, 06:56 AM
Veteran member
Default Villas

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't know about patio villas, but courtyard villas have a sideyard easement inside the rear fenced in area, and a driveway easement outside of the fence. The deed restriction document clearly defines which neighbor maintains which part of the land. In some cases, you are required to maintain the next door neighbor's property and vice versa. Read your deed restriction or covenant document, which is available at "districtgov.org".
Exactly why after first visit I scratched Villas off the potential home site list. I am a controll freak and don't want someone else controlling what one side of my home looks like. That would be unacceptable. Sorry
Old 05-31-2023, 07:04 AM

Lack of reading or misunderstanding deed restrictions (covenants) is a major problem in TV. So many move here from free flowing no restriction homes to deed restricted homes without reading the covenants "before" buying. Then blaming everything on the developer.
Old 05-31-2023, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson02852 View Post
Lack of reading or misunderstanding deed restrictions (covenants) is a major problem in TV. So many move here from free flowing no restriction homes to deed restricted homes without reading the covenants "before" buying. Then blaming everything on the developer.
Who is blaming the developer for anything?

Where did you get that from?
Old 05-31-2023, 07:55 AM

Quote:

Ask the CDD
Old 05-31-2023, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Who is blaming the developer for anything?

Where did you get that from?
From past posts related to deed restrictions, blaming the developer instead of acknowledging ignorance of said restrictions.
Old 05-31-2023, 08:32 AM
Default Patio villa

Quote:

In my neighborhood, each of us cuts lawn between homes, from his house to my house up to the driveway. At time Deans will grass trim both sides of my house. Happy situation.
Closed Thread

Tags
patio, property, house, villa, side

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.