Village shuttle rates

Closed Thread
Old 08-23-2007, 11:48 PM
Default Re: Village shuttle rates

hey barefoot - I'll charge your car while your gone... "for real" . I think I'm leaning toward gas... Just by what everyone (but Jan) has said on this site. Yup.. it smells, but I don't want to run out of Juice and have to call for a lift etc just because I forgot to charge the battery. And also..... I would never have to worry about buying a new battery every few years... Just gas up..... Over all .... I'm still not sure but leaning toward gas.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Yes PJ it's not too difficult to add a back seat, you can buy one at buggiesunlimited.com and install it yourself if you're handy with a wrench, if not check with some golf cart repair people (look in Daily Sun) and I'm sure you can find someone. Buggies Unlimited sells the seat for around $400, I recommend getting the flip seat. The cart pictured below I had the seat put on after I bought it, I didn't have to do anything to springs or anything else. Barefoot, I have a neighbor go in the garage and charge my cart every other month when I'm gone for 6 months. These electric carts go a long way before they need to be charged, mine has an amber light that flashes when you have a half hour left to let you know you are low on charge, in the 100's of times I've used the cart I've only had the light flash once and I was already on my way home anyway. As long as you plug it in at night after you've used it it will always have a full charge when you start the day. The chargers/carts have on-board computers and know how long they need to charge and shut off automatically when they are done charging. Looks to me like a good used cart would be $3,500 - $4,000 (see the ads here under Items For Sale), then figure $500 - $600 to add a seat.
The Villages Florida
Old 08-24-2007, 12:01 PM

Is this shuttle to Orlando International or Tampa? Which airport is closest?
Old 08-24-2007, 12:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Orlando, it is shorter by about 30 miles.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:01 PM
Platinum member

I would disagree. We have drive to both airports, and they are about the same. My husband said Tampa is a hour and 15 minutes toll free non stop right to the airport.

I have nothing against Orlando, but there are quite a few tolls. I usually see where I can get the least expensive flight.
Tampa, FL
Old 08-24-2007, 03:13 PM
Founder

From my house to Orlando airport is 70.7 miles.
From my house to Tampa airport is 90.3 miles
Old 08-25-2007, 10:10 AM

Although the shuttle is definately a convenience, I also look at the length of time I'm to be away and take the cheapest way out; ie., pay to park or take the shuttle. However, even at $30/person one way (plus $5 for golf clubs) I thought it was pricey. There's an old saying some of you may have heard; "Pigs get fat, Hogs get slaughtered!"
Old 08-25-2007, 05:47 PM
Sage

Is there a shuttle to Tampa airport as well as to Orlando?

Golfnut: Thanks for the great info about adding a seat to golf carts .... and, based on your post, I'm convinced that electric is the way to go. Your cart is pretty spiffy, want to sell it in October? ;D
Old 08-25-2007, 05:58 PM
Platinum member

Barefoot, There is no shuttle to Tampa. Another alternative is to hire one of the drivers listed in The Villages Sun. I have never done this, nor do I know their rates, but I do see the ads.
Tampa, FL
Old 08-25-2007, 06:20 PM
Sage

Avista, thanks for the info. Something to keep in mind. Might be worthwhile if Rick (who will still be working) can get less expensive flights out of Tampa.

Darby, you said you're leaning toward gas, did you see Golfnut's comments about running out of battery? I think I'm now leaning toward electric (and I'll take you up on your offer to charge it every couple of months) ;D
Old 08-25-2007, 07:19 PM

Thanks golfnut for the info on adding a seat to my cart! I may try it.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I think you find it's not that tough to install and if you can't someone will be able to do it for you. Did you look at the buggiesunlimited website, they have a lot of cool stuff for carts.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:25 AM
Veteran member

Thanks for the web site Golfnut. It's great. I had been looking for an accessories site but without much luck.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I've bought a lot of stuff from them including the cover you see on my cart in my avatar, they are real good to work with. If you have any type of question on carts call their 800 number.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:49 AM

Barefoot,

If you purchase an electric golf cart speak to the dealer about having to leave it for several months.

I leave my cart for approximately four to five months without a problem. If you fully charge the battery and leave the "switch" in the, "Tow" position there is really no need to charge the battery on an interim basis.

When you return put the charger on again just to top off the battery charge.

Of course, you'll maintain the appropriate water level all the time. Don't charge the batteries when the water is blow the plates. This practice shortens the battery life considerably.

I find plugging in the cart after each use works fine for me without fear of an, "empty voltage tank," ever.

Good luck and welcome to the electric cart world. You're gonna love it.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.