Village Welcome to Explain Water?

Closed Thread
Old 06-30-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
A rather New York way is - "No, not interested."
Tried that several times, both at the door and the phone. Then they start trying to explain the advantages...and on, and on, and on. I then go to my Northeast Tennessee roots and say, "Look, I don't purchase anything at my front door (or unsolicited phone calls)". BTW, that includes high school kids selling magazines (got burned once to the tune of $50).

Remember the advice of my pappy, "Once burned, lesson learned!"
Old 06-30-2012, 11:11 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcisamax View Post
I already installed what I need. What I am furious about is for this woman to represent herself as a free service that THE Villages Welcoming Committee offers. I was just being nice because she was a TV representative. I can tell you that that woman is going to have about 12 seconds with me when she returns all of which to would be labeled inappropriate on this site.
False pretenses come to mind. Perhaps a report to the local Law Enforcement would be in order.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:12 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
A rather New York way is - "No, not interested."
My wife gets mad at me, but I always go to the door, don't say anything until they expose their pitch, hold my hands up and say "No Speak En-go-lish". They're gone before I can turn around and go back in. NEVER let them in your house.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:23 PM
Sage

Well I do know she is returning on Tuesday at 10...anyone want to initiate a lynch mob? If not, I will let you know what she does when I ask for her Village i.d. and I tell her there are an awful lot of people who are waiting for her.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-4 Skyhawk View Post
My wife gets mad at me, but I always go to the door, don't say anything until they expose their pitch, hold my hands up and say "No Speak En-go-lish". They're gone before I can turn around and go back in. NEVER let them in your house.
Now, there you go!!! Your way wins the prize.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:53 PM
Gold member

Maybe she is a honest business woman trying to make a living.There are still some good people out there.Calling the police on her is just a little to much. Sometimes you have to walk in someone else shoes to know.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
Maybe she is a honest business woman trying to make a living.There are still some good people out there.Calling the police on her is just a little to much. Sometimes you have to walk in someone else shoes to know.
It isn't honest to say you represent The Villages Paul and Jean, if you do NOT. There are a lot of decent people who ring the doorbell when you move in and a lot of not so decent people. I agree with the poster who said he didn't do business with people unless he/she initiated the contact.

I took their cards and said thank you, we will get back to you if we decide to buy a water softener..or seventeen million palm trees or need blinds.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
99% of the ones I receive don't even get opened. But if you're interested in aggravating them, if there is a post paid return envelope, send it back empty.

They only pay for the postage on the envelopes that are actually mailed. I know, it's only a few cents, but if millions of people did this some of these companies might think about being more selective about who they send this stuff to.
It's also great to add junk mail in the return envelope....make it heavy so they have to pay additional postage.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:19 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN & JOSIE View Post
It's also great to add junk mail in the return envelope....make it heavy so they have to pay additional postage.
Back in the days when snail mail was all we had if I had the time I used to load each junk mail sender's return envelope with junk from another sender. That particular tactic reduced my junk mail considerably after a period of time.

As I understand it first class postage users supplement the cost of transporting and delivering junk mail with higher postage rates since junk mailers have lobbied for very low rates which do not support the actuall cost of their bulk mailngs.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:26 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

These water treatment solicitors do not sound like upright and honest business people but rather financial predators to me since they hold themselves out to be part of The Villages team or at least affiliated or sanctioned by The Villages. They target newbies who are probably unfamiliar with the water quality. Has anyone checked with the BBB or obtained a particular solicitor's identity and checked them out? Could they be considered to be trespassers, especially if they were turned away after their first visit and instructed not to return?

Does the state of Florida, any or all of its counties or municipalities require registration, proper identification or a license for a door to door solicitor?

We all could do with a "do not solicit list" along with the "do not call list" we all finally enjoy!
Old 06-30-2012, 03:34 PM
Gold member

My point there are a lot of decent people. Calling the police is a little to much. Whats wrong with saying "No Thank You." Lot of people bought palm trees on our street from guys knocking on their doors. Maybe they think they got a good deal.To me seems like when older people move here they take all these rumors to much to heart.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:15 PM
Gold member

Mom and I closed on our new home on May 4th. We only stayed in TV for 7 days after the closing so I guess the water companies didn't have time to make it to our door.

However, The Villages Welcome Committee did show up with that huge wicker basket. Her timing was horrible because there was a lot of stuff for us to do in the few days we were there! But, we listened to her and there were some nice things in her basket. A few things come to mind; i.e, a coffee mug from the Golf Cart Store, a 12 foot tape measure that I was happy to get and some good coupons. Only two of the vendors contacted me and neither harrassed me. I told them I wasn't interested at this time and that was it.

It was not a bad experience other than her bad timing and the fact that she didn't leave that great basket!
Old 06-30-2012, 08:24 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
Well then she should welcome any inquiries from the law. Then again maybe she prays on retirees.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:27 PM
Sage

Honestly, it is so chaotic moving in and to have people come knocking when they know you are in the midst is a bit of a push. But to say you are the welcoming committee and are there to help you check your water when essentially you are lying and are there to make a sale is just bad behavior. I was in the midst of so much going on that I really didn't think about it other than to say thank you for stopping by and can we meet next week. It wasn't until after she left that the coin dropped and I thought what the heck is The Village Welcome Committee coming to check on my water? I am not going to be nasty but I am going to ask her for her village id and when she does not present it, I will tell her that it is bad behavior to identify yourself as something other than what you are to gain confidence.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:16 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posh 08 View Post
Well then she should welcome any inquiries from the law. Then again maybe she prays on retirees.
Why in the world should she welcome inquiries from the law,that makes "No Sense"... "And she preys on retirees" Just say No.Stand up for yourselve.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.