Comcast issue?

Closed Thread
Old 11-02-2011, 10:36 AM
Veteran member
Default Comcast issue?

Has anyone noticed that previously non scrambled chanels are now scrambled?

I have hade Comcast for many years and have always had a number of unscrambled chanels. I wonder what's up?
Old 11-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Platinum member

Did you get one of the digital converters? If you did not, you will only be able to receive chanels 2 thrugh 22. They are free and Nov. 1 was the date they went all digital.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 11-02-2011, 10:50 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
Did you get one of the digital converters? If you did not, you will only be able to receive chanels 2 thrugh 22. They are free and Nov. 1 was the date they went all digital.
Having a digital TV doesn't help?
Old 11-02-2011, 10:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMANN View Post
I wondered that myself. Here is some info....

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Xfinity...TV/td-p/983921
Old 11-02-2011, 10:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
I would call and ask them. My impression is that one does need a digital converter to receive all channels that are transmitted.

Does your converter box have a slot for a HDIMI cable?

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 11-02-2011, 11:04 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
I wondered that myself. Here is some info....

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Xfinity...TV/td-p/983921
Any idea what these converters cost?
Old 11-02-2011, 11:06 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I would call and ask them. My impression is that one does need a digital converter to receive all channels that are transmitted.

Does your converter box have a slot for a HDIMI cable?
They have 2 HDMI slops
Old 11-02-2011, 11:13 AM
Sage

I would call Comcast to verify my diminishing memory. I _believe_ you get one set top box and two DTAs for "free" from Comcast with their digital service. A set top box provides On-Demand in addition to converting the signal. If you need HD there is an additional cost.

Here is a pretty good link with lots of information.

http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/FA...5-d21ca0a8878e

Last edited by ajbrown; 11-02-2011 at 11:21 AM. Reason: removed broken link
Old 11-02-2011, 11:22 AM
Sage

cmann;

I may be totally off base but.............

I would call them and verify you have the proper equipment needed unless they did something with your account and stopped giving you all the channels you should be receiving.

Good luck with this issue.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 11-02-2011, 02:39 PM
Sage

Cmann...where do you live? I am in Sabal Chase and noticed some unannounced channel changes starting yesterday, nov 1. Lots of new HD channels and a bunch of Spanish language channels. Weather channel hd, cnbc hd, and a few others. I have 2 HD boxes and 2 DTAs so I was ready for the conversion but have not heard any official word from Comcast on when it would arrive in my neighborhood.

I sure wish they were better about communicating service changes.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Well that is a bummer......went from enjoying wonderful TV after never having had cable in my entire life to getting virtually nothing. I guess I will call the landlord. Cable is included in my rent I don't control the service.

Suzanne
Old 11-02-2011, 05:27 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
No it doesn't.

Quote:
Any idea what these converters cost?
They are free for 2 of them. You can pick them up at Comcast in Lady Lake or Leesburg. Or you can call to have them delivered and wait for a week or two.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 11-02-2011, 06:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
No it doesn't.

They are free for 2 of them. You can pick them up at Comcast in Lady Lake or Leesburg. Or you can call to have them delivered and wait for a week or two.
We have two larger LCD TVs that have HD boxes so we get a ton of channels. Last spring we hooked up a 24" LCD TV to our cable outlet in the kitchen (no box from Comcast) and we can get quite a few channels on that one. We get all 4 major local TV stations from Orlando in HD. For instance, channel 9 comes in on 9, with a lousy picture and on channel 9.1 with a HD picture. The same is true for NBC, CBS and Fox, plus we receive several other channels in HD. All I did was plug the TV into a power outlet, the cable into the cable outlet and I did a channel search. It's perfect for the kitchen as I wanted it mainly to watch the news in high def.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Gold member

While Comcast continues to advertise that all digital is coming, in some areas it is already here. They sent letters out to all of their customers well in advance of the conversion. If you already had sets with cable boxes from Comcast you did not have to do anything when the conversion took place. Believe that was in August in some parts of TV. If you have tv's wthout cable boxes you could get up to 2 (DTA's) Digital Transport Adapters from them at no charge. Their installation was simple and they even included new remotes.

I know some folks upon receipt of the letters, left them at their mail stop in the trash without reading them as they thought they were just advertisements. To be fair, Comcast did send letters and have made multiple advertisements on TV informing the public of the changes and what they had to do. I believe that you can still visit the Comcast store in the Spruce Creek shopping plaza across from the Summerfield Wal-Mart on Hwy 27/441 and pick up your free DTA's.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:12 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagesFlorida View Post
We have two larger LCD TVs that have HD boxes so we get a ton of channels. Last spring we hooked up a 24" LCD TV to our cable outlet in the kitchen (no box from Comcast) and we can get quite a few channels on that one. We get all 4 major local TV stations from Orlando in HD. For instance, channel 9 comes in on 9, with a lousy picture and on channel 9.1 with a HD picture. The same is true for NBC, CBS and Fox, plus we receive several other channels in HD. All I did was plug the TV into a power outlet, the cable into the cable outlet and I did a channel search. It's perfect for the kitchen as I wanted it mainly to watch the news in high def.
If you can still get channels above 22, then consider yourself fortunate. We have 2 HD boxes and had to get 2 converters for other sets even though they are LCD sets.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.