Are Villagers / elderly being Ripped-Off

Closed Thread
Old 10-21-2020, 09:17 AM
Default Are Villagers / elderly being Ripped-Off

After living here in The Villages, I have noticed that many salesman / companies appear to over charge those of us who live here in The Villages.

Generally speaking, "some" of the landscaping people servicing The Villages are scam artist. I was quoted 40% more for palm trees versus purchasing the same trees on my own in Ocala.
The large exterminating companies generally servicing The Villages are much more expensive than obtaining extermination services from the surrounding area.
The local Honda dealership attempted to overcharge me an extra $1500 for a new vehicle and when I stated that I could purchase the same vehicle cheaper in Orlando, the salesman cited that I could afford the higher price since I was a Villager. The same salesman also cited; why drive an extra 90 minutes to save $1500 since as an older person the extra driving to a large city could be dangerous due to my age. ( I'm 61 )
I attempted to use a franchised floor cleaning company and when I attempted to use the coupon codes generally found online, I was told discount codes generally allowed to the rest of the state of Florida was not permitted for those who live in The Villages.
I purchase a new Golf Cart just 60 miles from here and the same exact cart sold in The Villages was almost $1800 more.
In my opinion, it seems to me that many companies servicing The Villages take advantage of the elderly when it comes to pricing.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:25 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG111 View Post
After living here in The Villages, I have noticed that many salesman / companies appear to over charge those of us who live here in The Villages.

Generally speaking, "some" of the landscaping people servicing The Villages are scam artist. I was quoted 40% more for palm trees versus purchasing the same trees on my own in Ocala.
The large exterminating companies generally servicing The Villages are much more expensive than obtaining extermination services from the surrounding area.
The local Honda dealership attempted to overcharge me an extra $1500 for a new vehicle and when I stated that I could purchase the same vehicle cheaper in Orlando, the salesman cited that I could afford the higher price since I was a Villager. The same salesman also cited; why drive an extra 90 minutes to save $1500 since as an older person the extra driving to a large city could be dangerous due to my age. ( I'm 61 )
I attempted to use a franchised floor cleaning company and when I attempted to use the coupon codes generally found online, I was told discount codes generally allowed to the rest of the state of Florida was not permitted for those who live in The Villages.
I purchase a new Golf Cart just 60 miles from here and the same exact cart sold in The Villages was almost $1800 more.
In my opinion, it seems to me that many companies servicing The Villages take advantage of the elderly when it comes to pricing.
You caught on quick. We also have experienced over charging on automotive and other consumer services except tv’s. It's worth getting out of the BUBBLE for major purchases. Our last 2 vehicles have been purchased in Orlando with substantial saving it's a 1 hour drive.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
You caught on quick. We also have experienced over charging on automotive and other consumer services except tv’s. It's worth getting out of the BUBBLE for major purchases. Our last 2 vehicles have been purchased in Orlando with substantial saving it's a 1 hour drive.
I caught on quick---I assume this practice of overcharging the elderly / those living in The Villages is something that's been going on for some time...
Then that's the fault of prior villagers who have allowed this practice of overcharge to continue. As a newbie, my business is going outside The Villages.....
Old 10-21-2020, 09:50 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:

I had a similar experience with Jenkins. I didn't buy from them.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:09 AM

We went to Ocala for our car. Was cheaper than Leesburg
Old 10-21-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkw1 View Post
We went to Ocala for our car. Was cheaper than Leesburg
I'm amazed that some people will spend 60 minutes in Publix reviewing their purchases in order to save an extra ten dollars, but will neglect to do their own investigating and fail to travel to different car dealerships in order to shop for the cheapest price on a new car and blindly settle for the price the first dealer offers them....

Last edited by FG111; 10-21-2020 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:27 AM

I paid for a hot dog, small amount of freedom fries and a coke $11.50 plus tip, thought that was to much but what can we do beside order it again somewhere else...
Old 10-21-2020, 10:37 AM
Location: Moved to Fenney full-time in Dec. 2020 from Long Island, NY and couldn't be happier!

Quote:

Jeez - how old was the salesman...12?? I'm 61 as well and I probably would have popped him good for considering me an 'older person'. (That's my Brooklyn coming out) Then I'd go to Orlando for my car!
Old 10-21-2020, 10:53 AM

Without question we are marks, sitting pigeons...Could have sued certain ubiquitous little white trucks with a green stripes running around T.V. for fraud..Charged $1200. for two hours of imaginary ghost work..On and on...Head on a swivel, around here...
Old 10-21-2020, 11:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,019 Times in 1,745 Posts

Isn’t the thinking “Since you can’t take it with you, ya old geezer, you might as well share it with me?” Problem is some in TV have worked all their lives to have a few golden years, the salesman’s turn will come if they do the same. People have money in the first place because they have looked after it usually, so why would they change just because they are older?
Old 10-21-2020, 11:39 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,776 Times in 3,644 Posts

Villagers worked all their lives, saved money and are living the dream.

They did not turn stupid once they arrived.

Speaking of stupid, thinking otherwise.

Old 10-21-2020, 12:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Question Why You Call Seniors vs Crime

Seniors vs Crime is a special project of the Florida Attorney General and it has files full of "Rip Off's" of Seniors and Non Seniors. That's why it makes a lot of sense to call them before hiring a Contractor or Landscaper, etc etc before signing up!! There are some with many multiple scams, etc and yet they still get lots of new customers. It's best to use TOTV for recommendation's then call Senior's vs Crime to determine if they have any records on them and then if appropriate hire them.
Old 10-21-2020, 12:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fg111 View Post
i caught on quick---i assume this practice of overcharging the elderly / those living in the villages is something that's been going on for some time...
Then that's the fault of prior villagers who have allowed this practice of overcharge to continue. as a newbie, my business is going outside the villages.....
wow!
So glad you arrived to save us.......
Old 10-21-2020, 12:08 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

I've bought two new cars since moving here in 2017 one from Jenkin's Honda in Leesburg and the other from Phillips Buick in I believe Lady Laker or Fruitland Park. I researched the MSRP and available incentives on both before purchasing, went in with my absolute max price I would pay "out the door" Phillips actually gave me a better deal than I was looking for, Jenkin's gave the car to me for what I offered but it took several hours of seeing who wore out first, I finally told them I was leaving and would not be back, they accepted it.. I would prefer to buy locally but if they had not at least accepted the price I had in mind I would have walked. I really haven't seen restaurants and stores with high Villages prices except for the cost of cocktails, they vary greatly for the same product and at some restaurants they are extremely high so I won't order cocktails in those establishments.
Old 10-21-2020, 12:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Why are we blaming the vendors for trying to make as much money as they can.....is there a rule someplace that limits what they can charge? Didn't the business you worked for or work for do the same thing? As long as the customers will pay the rate they will charge the rate. WE control that. Some will exercise that control, evidently the majority here view it differently. Competition controls pricing and pricing is determined by what customers are willing to pay. I don't view it as they taking advantage of seniors, I view it as seniors making choices that fits their lifestyle, and sometimes that's paying more for local convenience.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, generally, attempted, servicing, extra

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.