Are Villagers / elderly being Ripped-Off

Closed Thread
Old 10-22-2020, 10:38 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Trying to take advantage of older individuals, with the hope that their cognitive abilities have declined, is nothing new as it happens everywhere. Any concentration of retired people is considered a 'target rich' environment by those who employ this type of deplorable behavior. Everyone should make an honest assessment of their own ability to negotiate and then think about using a reliable relative or friend, as an advocate to help evaluate the offer being presented - BEFORE signing on the dotted line. As the old adage goes, "no one can take advantage of you, unless you let them."
Old 10-22-2020, 11:06 AM

I leased a Hyundai Sonata at Jenkins in Ocala. The Leesburg dealership and the Claremont Hyundai dealer wanted much more than I ended up leasing for. Both the down payment and the 36 monthly payments were much lower in Ocala. The lease and monthly payments were the same as my 2012 Sonata which I leased in NJ. It proves that you do not have to pay the Florida Dealer Fees at every Florida dealership. Ask for Carolyn. We have two Hyundai Sonatas and one lease is due next month. Where will I go? Jenkins in Ocala, of course.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:17 PM

Thank you for shutting that down
Old 10-22-2020, 01:10 PM

Correct! You learned quickly sir. Over priced and under serviced, but they are all great when you ask.
Royal Air Force Benson, England
Eielson Air Force Base, AK, Clark AFB, Philippines
Kadena AFB, Okinawa Japan, Yakota AFB, Japan
Osan AB, Pyeongtaek, South Korea, Yangsan Army Garrison, Seoul South Korea
Old 10-22-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbound View Post
Trying to take advantage of older individuals, with the hope that their cognitive abilities have declined, is nothing new as it happens everywhere. Any concentration of retired people is considered a 'target rich' environment by those who employ this type of deplorable behavior. Everyone should make an honest assessment of their own ability to negotiate and then think about using a reliable relative or friend, as an advocate to help evaluate the offer being presented - BEFORE signing on the dotted line. As the old adage goes, "no one can take advantage of you, unless you let them."
Sir / Madam -
In my humble opinion, for what it may be worth, your reply brilliantly encapsulates in one short paragraph everything any aging adult with any diminishing capacity needs to comprehend regarding their financial matters.
Thank You !
Old 10-22-2020, 01:32 PM
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
No car dealerships on Morse land.
No lawn service on Morse land.
Palm tree vendor on Morse land..............I think not.
Extermination services on Morse land........I think not.
Flooring companies, window washers, construction contractors....not seeing them.
Winn Dixie booze is cheaper that ABC.
Publix on 466a, not seeing cheaper prices than on 44.
Looks and sounds every time like the Morse's BIG BROTHER's are watching...
Old 10-22-2020, 02:29 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,778 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going My Way View Post
Looks and sounds every time like the Morse's BIG BROTHER's are watching...

Old 10-22-2020, 04:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,914 Times in 918 Posts

So i don't quite get the point of the some of the posts, people are comparing Leesburg car prices to Ocala car pricesn noting the differences, and then complaining about the villages prices. . . That's kind of like comparing Walmart prices to Target prices, and then blaming the villages. Target might have higher prices, but that doesn't mean they are ripping off customers.

Brands and retailers do target prices to the locale based upon customers and clients they want, and price and quality sometime go together, sometimes not. I never shop in Walmart because I am more price insensitive and don't like the clientele and product selection. Which is why various stores in the same town have different prices. Even gas prices aren't the same at every station.

So if you are more price sensitive, you have to put more effort into either doing it yourself, or paying whatever price and quality you can afford. No different than anywhere else. My daughter waitresses in one of the more affluent counties in the US. People come in and spend over $100 per meal per person, regularly. Some week nights she takes home $400 in tips, and that is on a 50% reduced capacity.

There are always elizabeth holmes , and elon musks, and Ken Lays in the population. just be from missouri.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:34 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

@CoachKandSportsguy

"I never shop in Walmart because I am more price insensitive and don't like the ---clientele--- and product selection."

That's really nice of you that you dislike the Walmart clientele.....
I guess we would never get along since I love Walmart and their clientele.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:11 PM

I called a lady lake plumbing company and asked their hourly rate and travel time rate. It sounded fine. They took my street address, showed up, did the work then charged me nearly 60.00 more showing a higher hourly rate and a higher travel time rate. I said no and told them my quoted rate. They said I should have told them I lived in the Villages. I said they never asked. They took my lower payment. I never called them again. I'm not stupid so I won't pay more for being a Villager. Till that happened I had no idea locals took advantage of Villagers just because they can.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,914 Times in 918 Posts

@FG111 if the basis of your evaluation is people's shopping preferences, or different preferences of price sensitivities, or price expectations by sales reps of negotiable items, or why prices are different, then I think you are missing out on a whole lot of life.

And where you shop i couldn't care less, i have too many fun activities to participate in to worry about anyone else's shopping habits. I used to spend alot of time shopping for the best deal, but now, i don't have enough time left to do the fun activities, so i now spend less time shopping for the best deal, since can't take it with me, and I don't have enough places to store it.

So i may be less price sensitive than you, but everyone is different and the world is not an equal place, or an equality place when money is tight. Personally, i don't like people who complain about other people doing their job, who are trying to make a living. I also know there are many, many reasons for why prices are the way they are, but its not obvious unless you have worked with the pricing models, and demand fluctuations, I have worked in sales support, marketing support with the price setting labor and product services, supporting commission systems for sales reps. And yes prices varied by county, so someone could drive 5 miles and get a completely different price point. There were reasons for it, but don't think that we were ripping off customers.

We live in a competitive society where yes, if you aren't careful, you can lose money. But the difference between us and the animal kingdom, they fight each other for survival. Humans fight for each others' money, and then we all can go sit in a stadium side by each, and have a good time. Have you ever seen a stadium full of wild animals sit side by side and enjoy themselves without eating each other?

BTW, my brother's entire life focus is money control, its his source of focus. He prides himself on giving his wife an allowance. He doesn't leave home much, he spends money on high end cars, and then skimps everywhere else. i buy cheap used cars, they are just future rust and junk anyway, and spend money on travel or playing sports. There is so much to do, that I have to get out of this career rat race, so I can spend more time outdoors and playing sports. Much better for my health and mental state, not worrying about price differentials from people trying to make a living.

now its 8:30 pm, and i have to go back to work writing emails and creating a presentation for tomorrow
Old 10-22-2020, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post

Yep, another TYPICAL post from you...
Old 10-23-2020, 05:11 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,778 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going My Way View Post
Yep, another TYPICAL post from you...

(Typical)
Old 10-23-2020, 05:23 AM

Only the stupid ones who reside here in abundance!
Old 10-23-2020, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG111 View Post
After living here in The Villages, I have noticed that many salesman / companies appear to over charge those of us who live here in The Villages.

Generally speaking, "some" of the landscaping people servicing The Villages are scam artist. I was quoted 40% more for palm trees versus purchasing the same trees on my own in Ocala.
The large exterminating companies generally servicing The Villages are much more expensive than obtaining extermination services from the surrounding area.
The local Honda dealership attempted to overcharge me an extra $1500 for a new vehicle and when I stated that I could purchase the same vehicle cheaper in Orlando, the salesman cited that I could afford the higher price since I was a Villager. The same salesman also cited; why drive an extra 90 minutes to save $1500 since as an older person the extra driving to a large city could be dangerous due to my age. ( I'm 61 )
I attempted to use a franchised floor cleaning company and when I attempted to use the coupon codes generally found online, I was told discount codes generally allowed to the rest of the state of Florida was not permitted for those who live in The Villages.
I purchase a new Golf Cart just 60 miles from here and the same exact cart sold in The Villages was almost $1800 more.
In my opinion, it seems to me that many companies servicing The Villages take advantage of the elderly when it comes to pricing.
WOW! Thanks for these examples. Yes I have heard people say, we who live in the villages are ‘SPOILED, AND THINK WE ARE PRIVILEGED “ and yes, we all sleep around and with our neighbors. We are still considered SWINGERS in the villages. I am getting to the point when I go out, I don’t tell people I live here. We bought our golf cart outside the villages, and what we got would have cost us $3000 more .
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, generally, attempted, servicing, extra

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.