Villages Agents & Veranda "spying" - is this a reasonable ask?

Old 05-09-2024, 07:14 AM
Default Villages Agents & Veranda "spying" - is this a reasonable ask?

My wife and I are considering a Veranda in The Villages. We are aware all newly-built Verandas are 'spec' homes and that you cannot build to your own preferences.

Our Villages Sales Agent has indicated that they don't know what's coming in a given Veranda community until a week or so prior to actual sales release. Clearly the TV knows exactly what's being built on any given lot, months ahead of time, but our Agent's response implies that information isn't shared with Agents until just before release.

Have any of you had success with your Villages Sales Agent, such that they 'surveyed' a Veranda community ahead of time (on your behalf), seeking out pre-release information for you (i.e. Veranda model, lot #, directional orientation, etc.) more than a few weeks out?

While most traditional Real Estate Agents will bend over backwards to get you the home you want, is this an unreasonable 'ask' for a Villages Sales rep? Or, are they not allowed to do this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-09-2024, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-the-Butcher View Post
My wife and I are considering a Veranda in The Villages. We are aware all newly-built Verandas are 'spec' homes and that you cannot build to your own preferences.

Our Villages Sales Agent has indicated that they don't know what's coming in a given Veranda community until a week or so prior to actual sales release. Clearly the TV knows exactly what's being built on any given lot, months ahead of time, but our Agent's response implies that information isn't shared with Agents until just before release.

Have any of you had success with your Villages Sales Agent, such that they 'surveyed' a Veranda community ahead of time (on your behalf), seeking out pre-release information for you (i.e. Veranda model, lot #, directional orientation, etc.) more than a few weeks out?

While most traditional Real Estate Agents will bend over backwards to get you the home you want, is this an unreasonable 'ask' for a Villages Sales rep? Or, are they not allowed to do this?

Thanks in advance.
The Villages sales people do know what floor plan is being built on what lot and they can go in and see the finishes. What they won't know until a couple of days before the property goes on the market is the price and the exact date that the property will be released.

You could ask your sales agent to keep you apprised of any verandas which are being built with your desired floor plan or view. You can ask them to take a video and send it or FaceTime you. If it's a view lot, you will need to be ready to pounce once the agent lets you know when a desired property is being released and its price. View properties go before they hit the website.

The agents will know which areas will be verandas, but they won't know which floor plan is being built where until they can view it from the exterior.

If you want to keep up on what's happening with new builds, I highly recommend watching Goldwingnut's videos on Youtube.

Last edited by callalily; 05-09-2024 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-09-2024, 07:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,860 Times in 5,307 Posts

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
How experienced is the agent? I have had experienced agents show me houses under construction before they were released for sale. If you see a house that you want, the agent will place a hold on it for you as soon as it is released. Technically, this may not be allowed, but it is definitely done. It doesn't make sense to do business with an inexperienced sales agent.
Old 05-09-2024, 07:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,628 Times in 598 Posts

Every experienced VLS knows what a the model is as does many residents, in early build stages

While one isn’t to be in construction zone, you will see fair amount walking through homes under construction.

One sales rep said CYV on paper were going in across from our build. We knew that was wrong, since walls go up first. It was PVs. But map was incorrect and CYVs were labeled incorrectly

So yes VLS knows the model, but have no idea of price and release date, that info is give about 48 hours ahead.

OP if you are not comfortable with your MLS agent, you can request someone else. Been there done that, changed VLS agent, by going to open houses meeting them, and then changing to the agent we felt comfortable with.
Plus down the road if that fit no longer works just regroup.
Old 05-09-2024, 07:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,290 Times in 2,299 Posts

If you are after a specific orientation, say a south facing lanai, you should be able to get the overall village plans from the county zoning office. These will show the house location and the driveway as well as a directional arrow for north. You should be able to pick houses that will meet your criteria, then tell your agent you are interested in these houses.
Hope this helps.
Old 05-09-2024, 11:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
One thing to take into account Verandas are a hot commodity. There are approximately 350 VLS agents, if only 1/2 are looking for one Veranda, for one client, your chance at the shot gun 8am release is 1 in 175 getting a veranda, much less the model you really want.

There are many residents that will tell you they didn’t get certain houses or properties. For some like us it’s was 15, before we got something
Old 05-09-2024, 11:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
One thing to take into account Verandas are a hot commodity. There are approximately 350 VLS agents, if only 1/2 are looking for one Veranda, for one client, your chance at the shot gun 8am release is 1 in 175 getting a veranda, much less the model you really want.

There are many residents that will tell you they didn’t get certain houses or properties. For some like us it’s was 15, before we got something
Even previously owned verandas are a hot commodity...one went on the market a couple of weeks ago at what I thought was ridiculously overpriced...went pending a couple of days ago
Old 05-09-2024, 12:16 PM

Well, I was thinking I may not be doing a good job of articulating my question (to our Villages Sales agent), but clearly everyone here understands it, so I must be doing okay.

Our agent is experienced and very nice. I may need to press a bit harder so we can be better informed and ready to pounce when our choice(s) are released. I'm a big fan of Wingnut and a few others who post Villages construction updates via YouTube. I'll also see what I can pull from the County zoning office.

Thank you!
Old 05-09-2024, 01:07 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
That’s the very reason they don’t find out until right before the homes are being released. If every person wanted their sales agent to “spy” for them and only them, then why even have release dates at all? Do you know how many sales agents they have here and every potential buyers there are? The difference is, they don’t need YOU to buy a home here. The next person will snatch it up. It’s also why you can’t haggle the price as with regular real estate. If you buy pre-owned you’ll have a better chance getting what you want.
Old 05-09-2024, 03:40 PM

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
There are not 175 people trying to get every veranda when it's released. If so, there wouldn't be almost 40 new ones for sale now. If your needs are very specific, it might take a while, not because there's a line of buyers, but because the developer only builds a certain number of each model. If sales are slower, the build rate will be slower. There was the Richmond frenzy but even that ended before the homes were all sold. Also, the idea that people here don't take mortgages is not true and even if it were, there is still that small issue of selling the existing home up North with the 7+% rates. Sales are slower than they were a few years ago. When was the last time the developer offered discounts on inventory? Well, look at Dabney and Lake Denham. Finally, if you are not satisfied with your agent, ask for a new one. We went through an issue with our first agent. We asked for a replacement and the difference was night and day.
Old 05-09-2024, 04:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieRN View Post
There are not 175 people trying to get every veranda when it's released. If so, there wouldn't be almost 40 new ones for sale now. If your needs are very specific, it might take a while, not because there's a line of buyers, but because the developer only builds a certain number of each model. If sales are slower, the build rate will be slower. There was the Richmond frenzy but even that ended before the homes were all sold. Also, the idea that people here don't take mortgages is not true and even if it were, there is still that small issue of selling the existing home up North with the 7+% rates. Sales are slower than they were a few years ago. When was the last time the developer offered discounts on inventory? Well, look at Dabney and Lake Denham. Finally, if you are not satisfied with your agent, ask for a new one. We went through an issue with our first agent. We asked for a replacement and the difference was night and day.
Since 2007 the developer has Always offered discounts on inventory in every village, to close out the village, especially when next village is really to release. Can’t speak for prior to “07” but I am sure some posters who have been here longer can verify. First 3 homes we bought here was on discounts, because build was complete.

As far as build lots in Richmond, we were as low as #5 and as high as #64 on the list, for the first 15 tries. Then 6 more lots after we bought a lot. The only homes that didn’t have multiple names were some of the last PVs , and few interior spec homes.

Were you here when the village next to LSL and the lake? All Those sites went in minutes. Richmond came in second or third for quickest selling village. Rates were between 5.75 and 6.25 for Richmond.

You forgot to add 57 pending verandas, and 30 new verandas listed, 6 have discounted listed prices.

Last edited by thelegges; 05-09-2024 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-09-2024, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Since 2007 the developer has Always offered discounts on inventory in every village, to close out the village, especially when next village is really to release. Can’t speak for prior to “07” but I am sure some posters who have been here longer can verify. First 3 homes we bought here was on discounts, because build was complete.

As far as build lots in Richmond, we were as low as #5 and as high as #64 on the list, for the first 15 tries. Then 6 more lots after we bought a lot. The only homes that didn’t have multiple names were some of the last PVs , and few interior spec homes.

Were you here when the village next to LSL and the lake? All Those sites went in minutes. Richmond came in second or third for quickest selling village. Rates were between 5.75 and 6.25 for Richmond
The original question was about a Veranda, not a building lot. They didn't sell lots for verandas as far as I know. Also, I said Richmond was a frenzy. That was probably because it was so much closer to where everyone wanted to be. There is no such place today except for possibly the final phase of Richmond.
Old 05-10-2024, 05:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieRN View Post
The original question was about a Veranda, not a building lot. They didn't sell lots for verandas as far as I know. Also, I said Richmond was a frenzy. That was probably because it was so much closer to where everyone wanted to be. There is no such place today except for possibly the final phase of Richmond.
Verandas in Richmond had no less than 15 names per spec, as did most all the specs homes in Richmond. I know because if we didn’t get a build lot we were going for a spec home, and our oldest was going for Veranda's. Personally, I don’t get the allure of verandas, but if you love a courtyard villa, then having a designer home large garage, with more space and walls, Verandas makes sense. Since they’ve been building verandas they sell out quickly.

Besides the frenzy in Richmond, Mission Hills, , LSL at the lake, and the biggest frenzy in 2007, Because developers were done building. Then the Any Houses during the pandemic in TV was a frenzy, as was a many homes in the US. So here buying frenzy has happened more than many realize

You also brought up developers didn’t discount houses, which is definitely not true, at least since the first time we arrived in 2007.

But are you newer to either TOTV or maybe TV itself, this is the most amount of villages being built at the same time. With the large amount of preowned sitting on the market (maybe because they bought a new build) the homes still sitting are the usual interior kissing lanai’s, or not a great lot, due to utilities. Enclave still has most of their interior lots.

Plus houses are released every week, so numbers aren’t really a good indicator of homes on the market. You won’t find that in any other new home market. The housing market is off anywhere in the US, developers are still ahead of the game in sales.

Last edited by thelegges; 05-10-2024 at 05:54 AM.
Old 05-11-2024, 09:32 AM

I have been in my veranda for 2 years now. Prior to buying I went to the Sumpter County website (sorry but I don't recall the address) you can look up the permits and plans. My salesperson was impressed that I knew how many of each model there was and the areas they were built.
Old 05-11-2024, 10:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,860 Times in 5,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
That’s the very reason they don’t find out until right before the homes are being released. If every person wanted their sales agent to “spy” for them and only them, then why even have release dates at all? Do you know how many sales agents they have here and every potential buyers there are? The difference is, they don’t need YOU to buy a home here. The next person will snatch it up. It’s also why you can’t haggle the price as with regular real estate. If you buy pre-owned you’ll have a better chance getting what you want.
But, some agents do find out. I wouldn't call it spying. They find out because the developer wants them to find out. They are operating a release date system that has leaks, and the leaks are intentional to benefit certain agents. That is why it is a good idea to work with an experienced sales agent. It makes no sense to work with an agent who has only been working for The Villages for a few months.

Tags
villages, veranda, agents, sales, information

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.