The Villages IS America’s Friendliest Hometown

Closed Thread
Old 05-09-2023, 06:56 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,639 Times in 443 Posts
Default The Villages IS America’s Friendliest Hometown

I’m at my 5 month mark of living here, I am continually amazed how friendly and welcoming the majority of residents are here in The Villages. The bonding and instant friendship or neighbors, the smiles and hellos of people you pass on the walking trails and streets, the enthusiasm and good sportsmanship of those you play golf and pickleball with, the politeness and friendly checkers at Publix, the community where people have manners and practice good etiquette, and especially the kind, caring, positive and patient people (mostly) on TOTV. This all still overwhelms me, and I hope over time I don’t forget how blessed I am to live here (especially in this crazy world) and take The Villages for granted. Retirement IS really the best times of our lives if we want it to be. 😀🙏🏻
Old 05-09-2023, 07:01 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Old 05-09-2023, 07:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
I’m at my 5 month mark of living here, I am continually amazed how friendly and welcoming the majority of residents are here in The Villages. The bonding and instant friendship or neighbors, the smiles and hellos of people you pass on the walking trails and streets, the enthusiasm and good sportsmanship of those you play golf and pickleball with, the politeness and friendly checkers at Publix, the community where people have manners and practice good etiquette, and especially the kind, caring, positive and patient people (mostly) on TOTV. This all still overwhelms me, and I hope over time I don’t forget how blessed I am to live here (especially in this crazy world) and take The Villages for granted. Retirement IS really the best times of our lives if we want it to be. 😀🙏🏻
Our experience and opinion as well, and it hasn't changed in the nearly 3 years now since we've moved here.

Interesting: folks seem to have experiences that live up (or down) to their expectations. Positive people seem to attract the same. But if your expectation here is to encounter a whole lot of dour, negative people, then that is probably exactly the same kind of people you DO encounter.
Old 05-09-2023, 07:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Are we Villagers friendly or are we just sharing the kool-ade like another friendly utopian group 40+ years ago?
Old 05-09-2023, 07:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
Are we Villagers friendly or are we just sharing the kool-ade like another friendly utopian group 40+ years ago?
Tell us, what do you think?
Old 05-09-2023, 07:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
Nope. It is real. I've had people offer me rides when they see me walking in the heat. Men and women. When is the last time you've heard of a woman offering a man, a complete stranger to her, a ride? Other than in TV, that is?
Old 05-09-2023, 07:17 AM
Gold member

How is it going meeting neighbors in Richmond? A month or so back, you were reporting that there were a lot of Airbnb's near you.
Old 05-09-2023, 07:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
How is it going meeting neighbors in Richmond? A month or so back, you were reporting that there were a lot of Airbnb's near you.
Hi - thanks for asking - initially it was a big challenge to meet neighbors, as I have three Air BnB’s on my block, and the rest of homes on my block are short term rentals. However, during my twice-daily walks, I have met some wonderful neighbors on the streets nearby, and have begun to socialize with them at their homes, and out at the squares, Boozy Bingo at Sawgrass, and at Trivia at Lake Okahumpka. Also, playing pickleball golf, shuffleboard and water volleyball with lots of Richmond (and surrounding villages) folks. My social calendar has really taken off - I’m building a birdcage this week, and looking forward to using it to entertain and having neighbors over. I just had to be a bit patient with meeting neighbors, but meeting lots now.
Old 05-09-2023, 07:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
Hi - thanks for asking - initially it was a big challenge to meet neighbors, as I have three Air BnB’s on my block, and the rest of homes on my block are short term rentals. However, during my twice-daily walks, I have met some wonderful neighbors on the streets nearby, and have begun to socialize with them at their homes, and out at the squares, Boozy Bingo at Sawgrass, and at Trivia at Lake Okahumpka. Also, playing pickleball golf, shuffleboard and water volleyball with lots of Richmond (and surrounding villages) folks. My social calendar has really taken off - I’m building a birdcage this week, and looking forward to using it to entertain and having neighbors over. I just had to be a bit patient with meeting neighbors, but meeting lots now.
It's a little slice of paradise. Sunshine and golf galore.

Last edited by rustyp; 05-09-2023 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-09-2023, 09:58 AM

I'm not making this up. Relatively new villager I met at a dance club recently, said that she narrowed her retirement search down to two places. She picked TV because the people were friendlier.
Old 05-09-2023, 12:10 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 384 Posts

Give it 5 or 6 years here. Wait until the kool-aid wears off.

Its not paradise or the frienliest place.

All new people down here experience a great deal of friendship and waving….its new…just wait until it gets old
Old 05-09-2023, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post

All new people down here experience a great deal of friendship and waving….its new…just wait until it gets old
I am guessing it may have gotten old for you at 5 or 6 months...too bad.
Old 05-09-2023, 02:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post

Why on earth would friendship get OLD?

The words "self-fulfilling prophecy" come to mind...
Old 05-09-2023, 02:39 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

The birdcage will be nice at your location and welcome back!
Old 05-09-2023, 07:55 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
The birdcage will be nice at your location and welcome back!
Thank you my friend

Tags
villages, people, good, friendly, time

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.