anyone having trouble with Netflix over internet?

Closed Thread
Old 02-11-2011, 11:33 AM
Default anyone having trouble with Netflix over internet?

We have gone from dvds to streaming netflix over the internet to our tv. It freezes after about 20 minutes, and continues to "freeze" every minute or so. Called netflix and comcast..can't get it resolved.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NANCY58 View Post
We have gone from dvds to streaming netflix over the internet to our tv. It freezes after about 20 minutes, and continues to "freeze" every minute or so. Called netflix and comcast..can't get it resolved.
No problem here. Been streaming Netflix since November. At first had a problem with lip synch but not lately.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:32 PM
Default oldtimecop

Try rebooting your TV. Turn it off, unplug it and disconnect the cable. Give it a minute and hook it back up. Hope it makes a difference.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Veteran member

I am streaming through my Wii system in one room and my Blu-Ray player in another room. Both wirelessly and with no problems.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:46 PM
Veteran member

No problems. There was one movie that broke up and they sent a message that there was a problem with it.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:56 PM

you might have a low ban-width and that could be the problem, check with comcast and see what they require to stream movies. Also check your Wii system. I do have that problem from time to time, I guess it all depends on the movie. I hope this helped
Old 02-11-2011, 01:59 PM
Sage

I did have problems with Netflix freezing. I moved my wireless router to a point closer to the room with the TV (but still in another room). That helped. Then I got a better router (dual band) and no more freezes. If you can, try moving the router closer to the TV. If you are connecting directly to the TV via ethernet cable, obviously the above suggestion does not apply.

A couple of thoughts. Is anyone using the wireless network at the same time Netflix is streaming? What internet provider do you have? My understanding is that cable systems create local networks (nodes) where you may have many homes sharing a larger connection to the internet. If, for example, all the homes on that node are streaming video at the same time and surfing, it may reduce the bandwidth available to each home so that the streaming is disrupted. I don't think that's the case with DSL, but DSL may bring other problems to the table. Another thought may be that the speed of your internet connection may not be great enough to support streaming. Cable and DSL connections are available in different speeds. If you have subscribed to the lowest speeds, it may not be sufficient for Netflix.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:03 PM

Thanks everyone. Our blu ray is 2 months old, and tv is one year old. We called comcast and they said it wasn't on their end. Netflix tells us the opposite..that's it'sour cable company. Wonder if it could be our wireless router. We have to unplug it for a few seconds, and then it seems to work for that movie, but starts freezing with a new movie.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:43 PM
Default NetFlex

very few breakups - working fine.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:09 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NANCY58 View Post
Thanks everyone. Our blu ray is 2 months old, and tv is one year old. We called comcast and they said it wasn't on their end. Netflix tells us the opposite..that's it'sour cable company. Wonder if it could be our wireless router. We have to unplug it for a few seconds, and then it seems to work for that movie, but starts freezing with a new movie.
By any chance do you have a Samsung Blu ray?

"Live life while you're alive, because when you're dead, you're dead a long time".- Roland Michael Curtis
Old 02-11-2011, 11:06 PM
Gold member

Had similar problem with our new Sony Blu ay player. I noted one evening that the downloading started occurring every 2 minutes, reported problem to NetFlix and was told they would look into it. At the time we were streaming movie from Netflix and recording a show on Comcast's DVR. Maybe too much going on at same time? Last time we streamed a movie, it was only briefly interrupted about 1 and half hours into the movie

Received notification of update this evening after watching a BluRay disc. Don't know if these events are connected.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:41 AM

I get very sporadic decent DSL from Centurylink and that keeps me from trying Netflix for the TV. Occasionally I'll watch a flick on computer monitor, but it is not reliable at all. I am about to divorce Centuryllink and the only reason I don't go to Comcast is I can not get RFD-TV which has my vintage country music shows. DISH had a transparent process in getting their service switched from Ohio to Florida, but their service reps have been regular visitors and still can't get it right. This is my month where the contract time with them is up, so I am about to make a leap - of some sorts...

In regard to the other thread on Blockbuster, I think it is NETFLIX that led to their demise, but just go outside the villages and look at the places that are no longer in business, these are tough times. Only the strong survive and people are more into companies that provide what they seek.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:40 AM
Veteran member
Default The Problem is Comcast not Netflix

The Comcast Villages network is limited in the amount of traffic it can handle. This is not unique to Comcast, but is true of every network. The internet service providers (iSPs) such as Comcast would like to have individual usage charges with higher charges for those of us who place high demand on their 'pipes' with activities such as video streaming from Netflix. The content providers such as Netflix and Google think this is a very bad idea. The contest between these two differing ideas is discussed as 'net neutrality'.

We have lived with something similar to this with out cell phones. If you talk more than x number of minutes, you have to pay more. With the implementation of fourth generation (4G) networks this problem will be minimized for some time to come. Moore's law, which deals with the capability of integrated circuits states that their capability will double every 24 months. This increase in individual computer capability will require at least as fast an increase in data network volume, particularly when you factor in the increased requirements of cloud computing.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:29 PM
Platinum member

Maybe it's sunspots? Seriously.
I received this email from Spaceweather.com :

"MAJOR FLARE: Earth-orbiting satellites have detected the strongest solar flare in more than four years. At 0156 UT on Feb. 15th, giant sunspot 1158 unleashed an X2-class eruption. X-flares are the strongest type of x-ray flare, and this is the first such eruption of new Solar Cycle 24. The explosion that produced the flare also sent a solar tsunami rippling through the sun's atmosphere and, more importantly, hurled a coronal mass ejection toward Earth. This raises the possibility of geomagnetic storms in the days ahead. Visit http://spaceweather.com for images and updates."

I tried to post a link (sorry Hosts), but couldn't find this description at the website. My Comcast has been acting up during the past few weeks, and that's when the sunspot activity started. I lose the sound occasionally, or the picture gets all 'pixillated'.

On the other hand, I was ready to get a Wii so I could try Netflix (I love Dance Party!), but now I think I'll wait until all you good tech-savvy folks get the problem resolved - or the sun stops sending out CMEs. If there's ever a problem with electronic gizmos, I've had the problem....
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 02-16-2011, 04:06 PM
Sage

We've been streaming Netflix over the Wii for quite a while. No problems. Go for it. As long as your Wii gets a strong enough signal from the router, you should have minimal problems. Occasionally, we would lose signal and it would re-establish connection, but that was not frequent and never lasted more than a minute.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.