Villages Concert Band/ New Horizons Concert Band LSL show

Closed Thread
Old 07-06-2008, 04:35 AM
Eternal Member
Default Villages Concert Band/ New Horizons Concert Band LSL show

Boy I hate to be positive, but at LSL this afternoon, the Villages Concert Band and New Horizons Concert Band put on a very entertaining hour and a sailfish show in the square. It wasn't overly hot and humid and there was a really nice crowd. I was off to the side and couldn't hear the announcements too clearly, so I wasn't sure who was who, but some guy sang "God Bless America" and he had a helluva good voice.

For those who missed it, keep an eye out for their return performances and catch them next time.
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 07-06-2008, 04:39 AM
Platinum member
Default Re: Villages Concert Band/ New Horizons Concert Band LSL show

Thanks, muncle. :bigthumbsup:
Old 07-06-2008, 12:27 PM
Sage

Uncle Muncle,

This is worth 3

This was the first time I had seen the local bands in action....what a talented bunch of musicians and a delightful selection of music for the 4th of July weekend.

They put on several shows at Savannah Center a year plus other local venues (Church on the Square and this annual tradition for 4th of July).... well worth seeing and hearing.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:35 PM
Veteran member

Had never seen the bands perform but we were really impressed ---- they were Wonderful-- Would love to know how many years of playing were represented by the bands!!!
Old 07-09-2008, 06:38 PM

Hello,

Being a band member for just over a year does not qualify me as any kind of expert with these groups but I can tell you what I know. Just being associated with these people is an awe inspiring experience. Two of our members are 90+ years of age, some are in their 80s with the rest of us in our 50s to 70s. With 225+ members in just these two groups and most learning their instrument in grade school, the math will tell you the length of experience.
There are over a dozen who have the Masters or Doctorates in Music or Music Education.
Many of the members still play professionally in and around the Central Florida area. To hear them play is a thrill. To hear them play together, you wouldn't believe.
Besides these groups, there is also Dixieland, Big Band and Swing Band and others. Some, such as John Rogerson are great singers, there is also a plethora of singing groups.
But, as with anything, if you want to be good, you gotta practice.
If you check your Thursday Rec Center News you will see where most of these groups practice and the times. And you can't beat the price. To come watch and hear .........
it's FREE!!!!!

Jerry Jackson (trumpet)

Jerry Jackson (Summerhill)

Neat bumper sticker. Went like this: "It's God's job to judge terrorists. Our job is to arrange the meeting!"

Be a gentleman, remove your hat/cap when entering a building and dining out!
Old 07-09-2008, 10:04 PM

I too attended the concert last weekend- what an incredible amount of talent and yes, hard work went into providing an enjoyable experience for those of us in the audience. I was captivated from the first note all the way to the last. Well worth seeing (and hearing!)
Old 07-10-2008, 02:15 AM
Veteran member

I play saxophone in The New Horizons Band - it is great to hear such nice things about our bands. Our next concert is in November around the 15th at the Savannah Center for 2 nights - watch the paper and get your tickets. We really appreciate the support and truly enjoy performing for everyone. Our concerts are recorded and CD's are available.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.