The Villages FL VS Sun Cities AZ

Closed Thread
Old 03-18-2023, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
I looked all over the country including Sun City, Del Webb at Hilton head, Del Webb Ocala etc. and decided here because of the golf cart and course infrastructure and the Florida weather and humidity. Arizona is really beautiful but so hot and dry and everyone that lives there looks desiccated.
"Desiccated", that's a brilliant observation, and probably true.
Old 03-18-2023, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Only + between TV and Sun City is that Sun City closer to Western US National Parks, including the Grand Canyon and golf courses are much higher caliber in Arizona as opposed to Florida. If you can handle the heat top notch courses can be played in Arizona for less than what we pay in TV.
$60.00 top notch courses in Az in season? Please let us know where.
Old 03-18-2023, 08:21 AM

Our feelings exactly. We never run out of things to do here and we would be bored in AZ, plus we love the weather!
Old 03-18-2023, 08:38 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,639 Times in 443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by huge-pigeons View Post
We did the same comparisons since we lived on the west coast, but our search expanded up to Utah and Nevada too. Lived in a del Webb community already and never again. Have you seen what’s happening to all the bigger cities in the west? Have you looked into how much you would pay in taxes, property/income? Look into water availability in the future and current. Most of the west has had water restrictions for many years, can’t water lawns, wash cars, paint dead lawns green, or just use dirt and rock for landscaping. Sure there are national parks in the west, how many times times do you want to visit Grand Canyon/Bryce Canyon? If you want to visit some of these parks, take a break from our summers here and go visit some of them.
As for amenities, there isn’t anything in the states and maybe the world that can compete with what we have. The only things that other retirement communities can offer that might be better for someone and they are: would be a much smaller community if you think TV is too big; can’t stand the humidity here.
I agree - I lived in California for my first 35 years - then Lake Tahoe - then Las Vegas - then Colorado - the west coast is beautiful and I was fortunate to have visited almost every national park in the western states countless times - Florida and the East Coast is brand new territory for me, and I’m enjoying getting out and exploring and seeing new sites in retirement. Just visited St Augustine for first time, as well as the Sarasota/ Tampa/Tarpon Springs area. Have planned road trips up to Savannah and Charleston this summer - and will take advantage of being closer by air to Washington/NewYork/Boston. As I said, I lived in Vegas (for 5 years), and the desert is interesting landscape for sure, but not something I “love”. So much more beautiful here. I thought as a Westerner, I’d be a “fish out of water” with all the Atlantic coast and Mid-westerners here, but that is not the case - I love my new neighbors and I love The Villages - has exceeded my already high expectations.
Old 03-18-2023, 08:48 AM
Veteran member

We bought land in AZ many, many years ahead of retirement to lock in our location for retirement. We had an 8-acre lot and a 1-acre lot near Prescott. The 1-acre lot had absolutely stunning views, and the 8 acres was pretty darn nice too. We absolutely love the Prescott area. Then a funny thing happened. We got into bicycling. We realized that in our retirement years, biking with steep roads at 5,500-6,000 feet probably wasn't going to happen.

We started looking in Alabama and Florida, with most spots being in central Florida. Multiple places were less crowded than and quieter than The Villages, but knowing that we would reach ultimate quiet someday, we chose the more active life of The Villages and have never looked back. It was absolutely the right decision for us.
Old 03-18-2023, 08:57 AM

Ours was a simple decision between the desert or the tropics….”Do you like a fried egg, or a poached egg?”
Old 03-18-2023, 09:04 AM
Location: Lived in MD, SC, DE, PA, VA, CA, Italy, Spain, USNS Comfort & Mercy...moved from New Mexico
Default Sun City vs. The Villages living

Enjoyed the comparisons b/w AZ and The Villages and couldn't agree more. My husband and I lived in New Mexico (Albuquerque) for 19 years following military retirement. I laughing said when we moved to NM from San Diego, "my next move is in a pine box" so it was a HUGH step to move from NM. We loved everything about NM until about 2018 and decided the political climate was no longer tolerable and looked to other places to live. The East coast was preferable over AZ due to many of the reasons you cited PLUS the environment of the Villages, and happy people.
We sold our home in NM and were gone in <60 days once we made the decision to get the "hell out of Dodge," and haven't looked back. I too, appreciate the more conservative climate in Florida, value systems that reasonate with ours and the ease of living. Thanks for sharing your thoughts as many feel the same in this land of enchantment!
Old 03-18-2023, 09:28 AM

I live in AZ now and I did google Sun City online never visited that area at all and I have been here since 95.....kinda have to say I agree with you on all those counts. I visited last may bought a house in 3 days! AZ is changing rapidly and not for the good either...........the desert has been nice to me and the state BUT it is time for a change! good luck I cant wait to get out of dodge myself! AZ is kinda boring
Old 03-18-2023, 09:32 AM

NOT true about the coyotes they put those in the ground as a way to be more precise with consistancy...someone lied to you on that
Old 03-18-2023, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpaVader View Post
We did a similar thing but also included Las Vegas or parts of Nevada. In addition to the points, you made our biggest thing is that we like tropical vs desert. We love green. Like you did all of our visits here and at those locations figuring that would be the worst of it weather wise, plus we wanted to see how vibrant the areas were when the snowbirds were not there. Most were ghost towns. Probably the biggest thing in favor of those two areas was that they major metropolitan areas. Nice having things open and lots of choices.
I dont care for the green and I have grass in Florida and will pull it out and use stones person across has them and the guy next door has it in his walled backyard....I took it out here in AZ best thing ever did! less water usage less bill no bugs no upkeep
Old 03-18-2023, 09:37 AM

I challenge paying more for a home in Del Webb Huntley as I live there 6 months in the warmer months and the other 6 months in the Villages. Different places for sure. My home there with the same sq footage costs equal to what I have here. I'm speaking in the last 4 years. Here, as well as there, prices have gone up up. This is not where it is better to live but about home prices.
Old 03-18-2023, 09:47 AM

Water will not always be cheap here as towns are drilling their wells deeper, over 200 feet to get the needed supply. Desalination plants
water cost over four times what we currently pay for water.
Old 03-18-2023, 10:18 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
I did my homework (like daily) religiously for about five years on The Villages in Florida and Sun City and Sun City West in Arizona. Living in Colorado, and still in my early 50s, I was looking ahead to where I wanted to retire. Most people in Colorado seem to retire in Arizona vs Florida, due to proximity. I visited Del Web’s Sun City, Sun City West and Sun City Grand multiple times. I always visited in the middle of summer, to see if I could stand the heat. When my employer offered me early retirement (which I took) while still in my late 50s, I wasn’t prepared to move yet, so I stayed in Colorado for a year to figure things out. There were things I liked about Sun City, but also things I didn’t. I was ready to take the plunge and move to Sun City West when I decided for the heck of it to take a lifestyle visit to The Villages, since I had already done so much research on it, I wanted to see it in person (but had not intention of moving here). Came here last summer and The Villages blew me away and I immediately decided to move here. Here are my personal reasons I picked The Villages over Sun City West: 1) More younger retirees- Sun City West feels like an old folks home, and not as active 2) Dedicated golf cart paths (Sun City West has none) 3) Town Squares with nightly entertainment 4) A self-contained community(the Bubble) - Sun City West feels like a suburb of sprawling Phoenix 5) Beauty and colorful - Sun City West is boring beige and very little natural, living landscaping 6) Way more activities /clubs/ golf 7) Purchased new home here for what I would have paid for a 1980s duplex-style condo in Sun City West 8) No state income tax here 9) People seem way friendlier and happier here (shattered the stereotype of East Coasters being more aloof and distant than West Coasters) 9) Winters not as cold as they can be in Arizona 10) proximity to the beach and I can drive to Lauderdale/Miami to catch a cruise.

Wondering if anyone else compared these two 55+ communities before deciding on The Villages.
Very interesting. We love TV. Never understood the people who live here and complain how bad it is. Says something about them? Maybe they would like Sun City better.

Old 03-18-2023, 10:27 AM

Good "research", but for an in depth history of the growth of over-55 planned communities starting with Sun City, Dell Webb, and Mr. Midnight in The Villages, you MUST read

Leisureville, the book
Old 03-18-2023, 10:29 AM

Here's a link to Leisureville book

Goodreads Leisureville...

Last edited by DrHitch; 03-18-2023 at 11:45 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
sun, city, west, villages, arizona

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.