Employment in or near the Villages?

Closed Thread
Old 09-12-2022, 10:59 PM
Default Employment in or near the Villages?

Hi All,

I'm seriously considering moving to the Villages. My career in Government has become too stressful, and i've come to the realization that it's just not worth the risk to my health. Time to make a change. I've been checking out the Villages from a far for years. I still need to work, so im wondering, generally speaking, how is the job market in and around the Villages? Are there many opportunities (other than construction)?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-13-2022, 02:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Teaching, medical, sales associate. The developer has lots of positions open.

Pay seem low here for us, that’s why once retired, and other is a traveler. But if you are just looking for supplement income you could do well
Old 09-13-2022, 06:42 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,195 Times in 761 Posts

Almost every business has a " Help Wanted " sign, no problem if you want employment here.
Old 09-13-2022, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Teaching, medical, sales associate. The developer has lots of positions open.

Pay seem low here for us, that’s why once retired, and other is a traveler. But if you are just looking for supplement income you could do well
Thank you for your reply. I would be interested in full time income. I wouldn't be expecting anywhere near my current income, but would need a "livable wage" until I'm ready to retire (I'm 53, probably retire at 60 or 62).
Old 09-13-2022, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
Almost every business has a " Help Wanted " sign, no problem if you want employment here.
Thats good to know, thank you.
Old 09-13-2022, 07:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lansky View Post
Hi All,

I'm seriously considering moving to the Villages. My career in Government has become too stressful, and i've come to the realization that it's just not worth the risk to my health. Time to make a change. I've been checking out the Villages from a far for years. I still need to work, so im wondering, generally speaking, how is the job market in and around the Villages? Are there many opportunities (other than construction)?

Thanks in advance!
There are many job openings, but the salaries are not good. I highly suggest you check jobs available and see what salary is offered.
Old 09-13-2022, 07:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

depends on the kind of work you are looking for. the health field is wide open now, & with a degree you'd be able to earn more. shops & restaurants are always looking. idk if it would pay close to your Govt. job, but it is work in a place with very easy living. just entering the Villages will reduce your stress by 10fold. despite the naysayers, it IS the friendliest place, -99% of us are so happy to even be here. we welcome you!!!
Old 09-13-2022, 08:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,051 Times in 5,337 Posts

Lots of openings in retail almost all businesses looking for people.
Old 09-13-2022, 08:24 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

The Villages - Florida's Friendliest Active Adult 55+ Retirement Community

Job postings
Old 09-13-2022, 09:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

OP, you will also need to consider if you are willing to travel, Ocala, Leesburg, etc. You can check the local newspapers on line for help wanted. If you are a handyman, there always seems to be a need for them.
Old 09-13-2022, 09:25 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Thank you for your reply. I would be interested in full time income. I wouldn't be expecting anywhere near my current income, but would need a "livable wage" until I'm ready to retire (I'm 53, probably retire at 60 or 62).
I don't know what you think a "livable wage" but unless you have some kind of special skill (CPA, Doctor, Lawyer etc) you will only make between 10 and 14 dollars per hour here for the majority of jobs. And, that is higher than a few years ago when it was between 8 and 10 dollars per hour.
Old 09-13-2022, 09:27 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
OP, you will also need to consider if you are willing to travel, Ocala, Leesburg, etc. You can check the local newspapers on line for help wanted. If you are a handyman, there always seems to be a need for them.
Nobody uses the newspapers anymore to advertise jobs. Use something like Monster.com, Indeed and countless other websites to see what is available in this area
Old 09-13-2022, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Hi All,

I'm seriously considering moving to the Villages. My career in Government has become too stressful, and i've come to the realization that it's just not worth the risk to my health.
I'm in the Govt too, so my first question is it Govt work or just your job? Its an important distinction because if its just your job there are tons of remote jobs out there. I was in the DC rat race and switched my position to remote and moved to TV. I took a hit on the locality part of my pay, but my quality of life and stress is way low. I still have ~5 years until retirement, but I honestly may go for 7 years since its working out so well.

I looked into jobs around TV and its pretty depressing. As an example, a cybersecurity engineer TV had an opening for was paying $46-$49k where here in DC the pay would be $130k. Even jobs such as a security guard seem to make $6-$8 less an hour than around TV. I can't honestly say if its the location or what, but the pay gets better down near Tampa.

If your a Fed and want some pointers feel free to DM me and I can point you in the right direction (sorry-don't know anything about state jobs). I don't think I would move to TV unless you had a good paying job as there is none here. You can always find a job, but you'll be working long hours just to scrape by. In my opinion, thats not the kind of life you want.
Old 09-13-2022, 10:33 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
I don't know what you think a "livable wage" but unless you have some kind of special skill (CPA, Doctor, Lawyer etc) you will only make between 10 and 14 dollars per hour here for the majority of jobs. And, that is higher than a few years ago when it was between 8 and 10 dollars per hour.
That's only partially true, the jobs paying $10/14 per hour are there because no one want's them and they cannot fill the positions at that rate. There are tons of jobs here that are paying between $15/20 per hour and higher depending on your background and those employers are able to fill the positions.
Old 09-13-2022, 12:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Question What is Your Current Job?

Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks in advance!
Exactly what is your background in working for the government??? What kind of work are you doing?

That would help others respond to you and be more helpful in possibly steering you in the right direction.

Tags
villages, work, speaking, generally, wondering

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.