Villas and barking dogs

Closed Thread
Old 08-26-2019, 03:20 PM
Veteran member

We used to own a patio villa. The neighbor across the street had a dog that would bark it’s head off at anything. She had the windows open so we heard it frequently. And once her dog started barking all the other dogs in the neighborhood would chime in. We finally sold the villa, just couldn’t take it.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,729 Times in 5,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
Talk of the Villages is a great place to get OPINIONS and very few Facts. You were correct to call and get correct information.
We still don't have the facts. Is the two pet rule ever actually enforced?
Old 08-26-2019, 04:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I know of a women who had 5 dogs. Moved in with less and brought in more. She moved out.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:34 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
Talk of the Villages is a great place to get OPINIONS and very few Facts. You were correct to call and get correct information.
The only facts are what is written with your deed and those restrictions are enforceable.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
See post #45.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

When we moved here with the 3 dogs we had to lease before we found our home. At that time The Villages had a rental dept. I explained to the person that we had 3 dogs and I was told it was fine. We leased a CYV and all of the neighbors knew we had 3 dogs because we walked them several times a day.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,937 Times in 2,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
You post concerned me, so I went back and re-read the covenant which states clearly that each owner is responsible to ensure they don't interfere with their neighbors "enjoyment" of their property. It then further clarifies the meaning by stating that "noise" shall be no more than "moderate" between 10 PM and 1 hour before sun rise.

There is no mention of restricting dog barking, and no definition of "moderate". So, I guess from what I can see there is no limit on dog barking during the day and up to 10 PM at night. Some third party would have to decide if a dog barking is preventing someone else from enjoying their property, and if our actions to control and moderate the dog barking is insufficient.

Personally, I find the sizzling of a neighbors bbq grills to be quite offensive and disruptive of my enjoying a vegan meal in my lanai...

I think we all need to get along, and anyone purchasing a CYV that does not like dogs or dog barking would have to explain to an arbitrator why they bought there knowing there was going to be dogs, and the dogs are going to be barking, when the CYVs are sold as the solution to seniors that want dogs that bark.

Any neighbors within 200 yards interfere’s with my enjoyment of my property
Old 08-26-2019, 06:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
When we moved here with the 3 dogs we had to lease before we found our home. At that time The Villages had a rental dept. I explained to the person that we had 3 dogs and I was told it was fine. We leased a CYV and all of the neighbors knew we had 3 dogs because we walked them several times a day.
The limit for pets is two, so when one passed to doggie heaven you can’t replace it. But, who running around counting?
Old 08-26-2019, 06:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollypeanut View Post
Unfortunately life is full of unhappy people who want everyone else to share their unhappiness.. I moved here to the Villages with my husband and two dogs.. I have a small designer home.. shortly after moving here my husband was diagnosed and passed from lung cancer, and was followed shortly after by one of my dogs.. Now it’s just myself and one 11 pound dog... she loves to chase the geckos on the lani and is only out there if I am home... if one runs up the screen she barks, if she keeps barking I bring her in.. my back neighbor called animal control, they said if it can be documented I can be fined.. now even if I am out there with her and she barks while I’m playing with her he yells across the hedge or loudly groans... I am putting my house up for sale.. I hope I find better neighbors.. everyone else around me have no problem.. it only takes one...
Sorry to hear you’re sad situation. amazing the AH is outside most of the time, his wife probably boots him out.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

I know a couple who had two, loud and constantly barking dogs...have this done on them.

Barking Surgery (Paw Here)

Quote:
Devocalization (also known as ventriculocordectomy or vocal cordectomy and when performed on dogs is commonly known as debarking or bark softening) is a surgical procedure performed on dogs and cats,[1] where tissue is removed from the animal's vocal cords to permanently reduce the volume of its vocalizations.

Controversy and legislation

Reasons opposing

-In some regions of the US and in the UK, convenience devocalization is considered a form of surgical mutilation.

-Most vets and the RSPCA offer information to behavioral schools on how to train dogs not to bark.

Reasons favoring

-After surgery, dogs are allowed to bark more freely, which is a natural behavior.

-The dog is no longer subject to constant disapproval for its barking.

-Breeds and individual animals known for excessive barking/vocalizing have a higher chance of being adopted/rescued and not being repeatedly re-homed if/when training fails.

-After debarking, dogs that previously had to be kept indoors to avoid antagonizing neighbors can be allowed outdoors.

When I first heard they had it done, quite frankly...I was shocked it even existed.

However, knowing that this childless couple loved their two dogs as much as most parents love their children (LOTS of stories of them going overboard here ) and them discussing it with a number of prominent veterinarians (most said that it doesn't physically harm the dog), I knew they didn't make the choice or have it done...on a whim or without deep thought.

In researching the issue since, it quickly became obvious...that there are strong beliefs from both viewpoints (a huge understatement).
Old 08-26-2019, 06:50 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Unfortunately life is full of unhappy people who want everyone else to share their unhappiness.. I moved here to the Villages with my husband and two dogs.. I have a small designer home.. shortly after moving here my husband was diagnosed and passed from lung cancer, and was followed shortly after by one of my dogs.. Now it’s just myself and one 11 pound dog... she loves to chase the geckos on the lani and is only out there if I am home... if one runs up the screen she barks, if she keeps barking I bring her in.. my back neighbor called animal control, they said if it can be documented I can be fined.. now even if I am out there with her and she barks while I’m playing with her he yells across the hedge or loudly groans... I am putting my house up for sale.. I hope I find better neighbors.. everyone else around me have no problem.. it only takes one...
If your neighbor was playing on his stereo a genre of music you don't like would you be as understanding of him as you believe he should be of your barking dog? Sounds like your dog isn't trained properly.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Unfortunately life is full of unhappy people who want everyone else to share their unhappiness.. I moved here to the Villages with my husband and two dogs.. I have a small designer home.. shortly after moving here my husband was diagnosed and passed from lung cancer, and was followed shortly after by one of my dogs.. Now it’s just myself and one 11 pound dog... she loves to chase the geckos on the lani and is only out there if I am home... if one runs up the screen she barks, if she keeps barking I bring her in.. my back neighbor called animal control, they said if it can be documented I can be fined.. now even if I am out there with her and she barks while I’m playing with her he yells across the hedge or loudly groans... I am putting my house up for sale.. I hope I find better neighbors.. everyone else around me have no problem...
it only takes one...
For both bad AND good...very true.
Closed Thread

Tags
owners, dogs, walls, dog, villas

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.