Villas vs Homes

Closed Thread
Old 02-05-2012, 12:25 PM
Red face Villas vs Homes

We are planning to stop down in November for a Welcome Tour.
Just would like to get some feedback on say a Courtyard Villa vs a Designer Home. Online we have been searching the homes but now are starting to lean toward a Villa. I guess we would like less work to do and some privacy (with the walls the Villas offer). So:
Advantages and disadvantages to both?
Has anyone sold and moved from a Villa to a Home or visversa?
Thanks...looking forward to our stop down.
Joe
Old 02-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Platinum member

I had wanted a villa, but since only 2 bdrm were available at the time, bought a designer home. After two years in the home, I looked at the villa again, but decided that I really like my home better.

The villa was on a golf course lot, had a two car garage and was close to SS. You could see the street from the kitcken window and guest bdrm window.

At my house that is on the golf course, my favorite room is the kitchen. The street is a cut thru for golf carts, so has cart traffic, but no automobile thru traffic. I love to see activity. It is also close to SS.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:01 PM
Sage

Seeing them and standing inside them and taking in the views out the back is the best way to see what you like.

During our lifestyle preview stay, we loved the designers (and still do) but the shared back yards were a big drawback to us. We'd had enough of seeing other people's weird creature habits on their decks in adjoining lots up north.

The wall around the CYV is great for privacy and for dogs to roam around loose in their own yard all day. Or you can get a CYV with a golf course view (more $$). And then some designers have the single wall of a CYV behind them--that's nice too.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:05 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

There are 7 view villas left right now at the Haciendas at Mission Hills. They will be building more, in a few months I heard. The villas available now all have yards with gorgeous views of the preserve and water, and sunsets. There are smaller and larger size villas there-1500-1850 or so sq ft some with big yards and some smaller, but all with views. I would grab one of these if you want a view. There are also new villas in there without a view that are beautiful with very nice yards as well.

We looked at designer and premier homes and liked all types of homes, so much to choose from. My our dog children made the decision for us and teh view is unbeatable. You have to go look at sunset.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:10 PM
Platinum member

I guess it all boils down to personal preference Joe..... and you will get a good feel for what you like when you can actually walk through the various homes available. Lot sizes can differ quite a bit, no matter what kind of house you choose. Meantime, ask yourself:

1)How much 'stuff' do you want to keep inside your home? My friends have lots of antiques and collectibles.... they need lots of space to showcase them. One friend has 3 big screen TV's (sports nut) and won't part with them. Another has a Steinway piano.

2) How much 'elbow room' do you require per person? I need some space that I can call my own.... not much, but a sanctuary of some kind. Hubby is over 6' tall and a solid guy.... he likes BIG chairs to sit in.

3) How much garage space will you need? The majority of Villas have only a 1 1/2 car garage, with a short, curved driveway.... and some models have washer and dryer out there as well.

We left an almost 4000 sq. ft. home up North and bought a Villa here because we really wanted to downsize. My Darling Hubby had STUFF. (Motorcycles, tons of camping gear, scuba gear, books, memorabilia, tools, electronics, etc.)
My vice is art, so I had lots of art studio stuff.

Long story short, we gleaned it WAY down and are comfortable and happy with under 1800 sq. ft. of living space. To us, it has been very liberating.
We have customized lots of nook and cranny space in our villa.... something lots of people do after they take occupancy.
But again, it's personal preference. Many more good points will come from everyone here who responds to your post, but you'll soon have the opportunity to see for yourself, and you'll know which one will feel perfect to you. Happy Hunting!
Old 02-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Gold member
Default As I See It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer View Post
We are planning to stop down in November for a Welcome Tour.
Just would like to get some feedback on say a Courtyard Villa vs a Designer Home. Online we have been searching the homes but now are starting to lean toward a Villa. I guess we would like less work to do and some privacy (with the walls the Villas offer). So:
Advantages and disadvantages to both?
Has anyone sold and moved from a Villa to a Home or visversa?
Thanks...looking forward to our stop down.
Joe
Would be worth your while to try to do a search here for lots of threads on this, but sometimes the searches are harder than you would think.

I am assuming you are comparing lower cost (under $230,000 perhaps) designers with 3 BR CYVs ($170s to $230,000 or so).

Anyway, here's my take, for what it's worth. This is a very individual decision.

We have a 3 BR CYV south of 466.
Biggest disadvantages I see are:
- 1.5 car garage (although our model is deeper than some designers). People who are garage/basement putterers probably should not be CYV bound. We can get 1 small car and 2 golf carts plus lots of wall stuff in ours comfortably.
- Cannot customize until after you purchase (unless this has changed recently). You take what you get and then refine and add. But people also do this with designers that are spec homes or just to add stuff gradually or when you think of it.
- Cookie cutter looking from the front.

Biggest advantages (in my mind):
- Privacy, privacy, privacy. It is great to socialize with your neighbors, but also nice not to sometimes. Look also for high villa walls if you value privacy. Still easy, at least in our neighborhood, to socialize with neighbors as you wish. We're having a Super Bowl party today in our neighborhood.
- Dog lovers don't always have to walk their dogs or go to dog parks, although electric fences are an option in designers.
- I am not sure they are less work, maybe a little less expensive to maintain (yard is usually smaller, and some are grassless). I personally am a gardener and have probably 175 feet of borders, starting at the side gate and going almost completely around the back yard. I love that I can see all the fruits of my labors from the lanai or the kitchen window. You don't have to do this, and with a completely paved or rocked courtyard there probably is less work. But, if you are going to be here year-round, think about how hot this will look/feel in the warm months.

Look at some resale CYVs that have had additional back yard landscaping done, so you can see what they will look like in back without bare walls.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:17 PM
Veteran member
Default CYV vs Designer

Designers are larger and more expensive. (for the house itself)
Much larger garages in designers for those who need more storage.
Master bathrooms are much larger in designers as well as kitchens.
Much more options in designers that cost $$$
No question if privacy is a high priority need to get a CYV or probably spend lots of dollars for a property that has privacy...
Old 02-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Gold member

I believe the one car garage on most villas is the thing that pushes most people int other larger homes.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljetmet View Post
Designers are larger and more expensive. (for the house itself)
Much larger garages in designers for those who need more storage.
Master bathrooms are much larger in designers as well as kitchens.
Much more options in designers that cost $$$
No question if privacy is a high priority need to get a CYV or probably spend lots of dollars for a property that has privacy...

Some of the larger Courtyard Villas have more square footage (over 1600) and are more expensive than the smaller Designer homes (e.g., Ranch Designer at 1392 SF). Some CYVs have two-car garages.

Some people find CYVs claustrophic. Others paint murals on the walls or landscape and love it. If privacy is your number one issue, I recommend a view lot. South of CR 466 you'll probably find a view lot on a pre-owned home will cost you $20,000 up (if you want a water view, much more). There are some bargains with view lots in the North/West corner of TV.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:34 PM

We bought the Gardenia model and love it. This said, now that we have a dog we wish we had a courtyard villa. I think the villas are charming and would love the privacy they offer as well as a yard our dog would enjoy.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:43 PM
Sage

I have a wonderful Lantana designer home located on a golf course. It is perfectly situated so golf balls do not come into my yard or hit the house - carefully checked out before I bought. 2800 square feet, double garage plus golf cart garage and large Florida room overlooking the golf course. Would not trade it for anything.

We did look at a few CYVs but the 1600-1800 square feet was too small for us. Personal choice, of course. Dog owners love the courtyards. I don't have a pet.

Our privacy is great, our view is great. Hey, The Villages are great!!
Old 02-05-2012, 04:02 PM
Veteran member
Default Which house to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Some of the larger Courtyard Villas have more square footage (over 1600) and are more expensive than the smaller Designer homes (e.g., Ranch Designer at 1392 SF). Some CYVs have two-car garages.

Some people find CYVs claustrophic. Others paint murals on the walls or landscape and love it. If privacy is your number one issue, I recommend a view lot. South of CR 466 you'll probably find a view lot on a pre-owned home will cost you $20,000 up (if you want a water view, much more). There are some bargains with view lots in the North/West corner of TV.
Agreed there are always a few exceptions. Fortunately the plans for all the houses are available at TVs website. We don't know the OPs budget (do we?) and that's a critical issue.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman911 View Post
I believe the one car garage on most villas is the thing that pushes most people int other larger homes.
Aren't they really considered to be "1 car + a golf cart" or "car and a half" garages?

Bill
Old 02-05-2012, 06:03 PM
Veteran member

I read where folks with a dog prefer a CYV. I asked our dog and she told me she prefers our large corner lot. We have very limited auto traffic and she doesnt mind a long line for frisbee, etc. She is a larger dog so the CYV lot would be much too small for her needs.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:08 PM
Red face

Wow...thanks for all the quick replies! Very helpful.
It has been a big help just looking at the resale CYV's and Designer homes online. Agree that it will help us when we tour them both.
One thing I have noticed, $ for $ in the resales, is how close some of the lanais can be in the back yard of Designer Homes where the CYV walls do seem to add some privacy.
Simply looks like pros and cons to each and will take all your replies to heart as we search.
How do taxes and bonds compare for both ~ may be another factor.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.