Vinyl flooring in kitchen instead of tile?

Closed Thread
Old 09-09-2012, 08:15 PM
Default Vinyl flooring in kitchen instead of tile?

I know everyone thinks tile floors are the way to go in the kitchen, especially since The Villages will not install wood in that room. But, tile is unforgiving if you drop a glass and it's less than pleasant to stand on for any length of time. Has anyone installed vinyl flooring (aka linoleum) in the kitchen and breakfast nook area? The house I'm presently renting as I await my design appointment has vinyl flooring in the kitchen and I rather like it. It is extremely easy to keep clean and has a nice springiness to it. I think vinyl flooring is of better quality with more options these days. I would appreciate any thoughts on this.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:22 PM
Gold member

We plan on having engineered wood floors installed in the kitchen and the whole house. We have wood in our kitchen now in a humid area and have never had a problem. Wonder why TV will not install wood floors in kitchens?
Old 09-09-2012, 08:31 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdarcy View Post
I know everyone thinks tile floors are the way to go in the kitchen, especially since The Villages will not install wood in that room. But, tile is unforgiving if you drop a glass and it's less than pleasant to stand on for any length of time. Has anyone installed vinyl flooring (aka linoleum) in the kitchen and breakfast nook area? The house I'm presently renting as I await my design appointment has vinyl flooring in the kitchen and I rather like it. It is extremely easy to keep clean and has a nice springiness to it. I think vinyl flooring is of better quality with more options these days. I would appreciate any thoughts on this.
Tile cost more but many homes in TV have vinyl flooring. Our Villa had vinyl and we liked it just fine----also, many designer homes have vinyl and no problem as a matter of fact it can look like tile.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:35 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

we had vinyl tiles installed in our kitchen - not the peel and stick type - but a very high grade tile and we wouldn't have it any other way! we might have had linoleum laid down but we could not find a pattern that we liked and was easily installed in a manufactured house. it is probably easier to find a bigger and better selection for villas and ranchers and designers, etc. we felt the same way about ceramics and porcelains - and we love the warmth and cushion of our new flooring! and it cleans up soooo easily! i just bought it and the bathroom floors a new steam mop that i know they're gonna love!

Old 09-09-2012, 08:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

we have vinyl in the kitchen and love it, have seen many resales with wood in the kitchen must be after market
Old 09-09-2012, 08:54 PM
Veteran member

Yep, I have high quality vinyl in the kitchen and bathrooms. It's very nice looking and cushy. I had tile in my last house and it killed my legs.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:43 PM
Sage

If TV doesn't have what you are looking for, there are some AMAZING "tile" look a likes that are made from "cushy" material. You can have TV do the wood in the other rooms if you like and have them put in the vinyl in the kitchen. You can always change it later if you aren't happy.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:54 PM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James
Default I agree with Skybo

We have vinyl in our kitchen and baths. The design center actually offers one which resembles wood. One day before closing, I was sitting in my new home to be, picturing where I was going to place my furniture and a couple strolled in and said to each other, "Look...they have hardwood in their kitchen." Not knowing I was there, they were a little shocked to hear me say, "No we don't".
Our last home was all tile and I also didn't want to go that route again due to it being hard on our legs and feet.
If you would ever want to stop by and take a look, send me a PM. I'd be more than happy to let you take a look.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:59 PM

Vinyl is the way to go. Tile is hard on your feet and back if you stand a lot & too long in the kitchen.

Wood floors will warp if your dishwasher or refrig leaks (our ice maker went & flooded our floor) thank god we had vinyl

there are a lot of vinly pattens ou tthere that look like tile.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:27 AM

We had the vinyl installed in one room that we were going to use as an office. It was very cheap looking and tore the first time we moved a file cabinet. We replaced it with laminate wood flooring that is durable and beautiful. The Villages won't install laminate. We have tile in the kitchen and love it.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member

On two different occasions I thought vinyl was tile and in a model home I thought vinyl was wood. Difficult to tell vinyl from tile but the vinyl is so much more forgiving on the body.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:14 PM

We installed an upgraded vinyl in our kitchen when we built 7 years ago. It looks as good as the day we installed it. While building we visited the house while the floor installer was there. He raved about our floor. Said it would have been cheaper to put down tile. And if he were building he would install the vinyl over tile. We love it.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:08 PM

Look into Armstrong vinyl floors. They have a good one that looks JUST like wood. All of the grain details are molded into it and the "boards" are slightly different colors, sizes, grains, etc. It really does look like wood, but a bit softer and warmer in cool weather.
Don & Kaz
Old 09-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Veteran member

You should also check out cork floors. They are durable, soft under your feet and look quite nice. We considered cork flooring at one point.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdarcy View Post
We just had our recently purchased pre-owned stripped of carpet, tile in foyer, and vinyl in kitchen. We are putting vinyl planking throughout the house and putting Armstrong Alterna in the bathrooms and kitchen. It is a high grade vinyl tile, which is sooooo much warmer than tile and easier on the feet too. Plus the grout for vinyl tile doesn't need to be sealed like regular grout for tile.

Won't see it until late next Monday night, but a friend (Don and Kaz) went by last week and said what they had down LOOKED GREAT.

Go with a good brand, like Armstrong and you won't be disappointed. We went with Village Flooring in Fruitland Park (based on a strong recommendation) and couldn't be more pleased with the service. It's is a small company and the installers are employees and not contracted out, which we were told to avoid. Oh, and they even moved the toilets so they could run the tiles under them both and replaced the wax seal rings as well. I liked that kind of customer service. If you'd like more specifics, just PM me.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.