VLS and MLS Agent commission?

Old 04-25-2024, 08:02 AM
Default VLS and MLS Agent commission?

I'm coming down to buy and will have both agents looking for me.

Are they still getting paid from the seller commission and not from me the buyer?

Thanks
Old 04-25-2024, 08:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,775 Times in 5,273 Posts

Yes. Unless you arrange to hire a buyer's agent, the agents who show you houses will be representing the seller and be paid by the seller.
Old 04-25-2024, 08:38 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,640 Times in 1,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrnnr View Post
I'm coming down to buy and will have both agents looking for me.

Are they still getting paid from the seller commission and not from me the buyer?

Thanks
You may be able to find a MLS buyer's agent. Most of the MLS agents I have used over the past 30+ years to purchase homes have represented me as buyer's agent. They were named as buyer's agent in the purchase agreement and were paid from the proceeds of the sale which is customary. Too, I have had separate exclusive and nonexclusive buyer's agent agreements in writing with a few. The one exception was when I bought a house through the listing agent in a very hot market in Newport Beach, CA back in 1996.

Recently I have observed agents moving toward being transactional agents and even non-agents as with a couple of sales of commercial properties I sold in 2022 and 2023. I do not know if Florida residential agents are trending that way or not.

Postings of the relevant Florida real estate agency statute is available in past TOTV threads.

I do not know how the recent NAR settlement has/is affecting how commissions are paid. I imagine it will be an evolving situation.

I haven't a clue about how VLS agents operate.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-25-2024, 08:51 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,333 Times in 603 Posts

There was a recent settlement on a class action case involving real estate commissions.

Home buyers to be spared automatic broker commissions under new $418 million settlement – NBC New York

Does anyone know if commissions have changed in the Villages?
Old 04-25-2024, 08:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
You may be able to find a MLS buyer's agent. Most of the MLS agents I have used over the past 30+ years to purchase homes have represented me as buyer's agent. They were named as buyer's agent in the purchase agreement and were paid from the proceeds of the sale which is customary. Too, I have had separate exclusive and nonexclusive buyer's agent agreements in writing with a few. The one exception was when I bought a house through the listing agent in a very hot market in Newport Beach, CA back in 1996.

Recently I have observed agents moving toward being transactional agents and even non-agents as with a couple of sales of commercial properties I sold in 2022 and 2023. I do not know if Florida residential agents are trending that way or not.

Postings of the relevant Florida real estate agency statute is available in past TOTV threads.

I do not know how the recent NAR settlement has/is affecting how commissions are paid. I imagine it will be an evolving situation.

I haven't a clue about how VLS agents operate.
Note that to be a transactional agent, the agent must get written consent from the seller under Florida law:

CONSENT TO TRANSITION TO
TRANSACTION BROKER

FLORIDA LAW ALLOWS REAL ESTATE LICENSEES WHO REPRESENT A BUYER OR SELLER AS A SINGLE AGENT TO CHANGE FROM A SINGLE AGENT RELATIONSHIP TO A TRANSACTION BROKERAGE RELATIONSHIP IN ORDER FOR THE LICENSEE TO ASSIST BOTH PARTIES IN A REAL ESTATE TRANSACTION BY PROVIDING A LIMITED FORM OF REPRESENTATION TO BOTH THE BUYER AND THE SELLER. THIS CHANGE IN RELATIONSHIP CANNOT OCCUR WITHOUT YOUR PRIOR WRITTEN CONSENT.

As a seller, I would never allow an agent to be a transactional agent until all contingencies in the sales contract were satisfied. Also, I would never allow a buyer's agent to receive any of the commission paid by me at closing. If I am paying a sales commission, then I want exclusive representation by any agent who shows my house.
Old 04-25-2024, 09:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,544 Times in 3,119 Posts

A few things:

MLS agents are not permitted to show VLS-listed properties. The Villages has an exclusive contract, and sellers sign the contract with the VLS to maintain exclusivity. MLS agents get no commission if the property is sold via Properties of The Villages.

In turn, Properties of The Villages get no commission if they represent the BUYER in a sale of an MLS-listed home. Properties of the Villages reps/agents may arrange for showings of MLS-listed homes, but they may not perform the showing. The MLS agent must be in attendance, the VLS agent doesn't get a key or passcode for the key-box.

VLS agents are -employees- of Properties of The Villages, and do get paid, no matter which home they're helping a buyer buy. But they don't get commissions on properties that Properties of The Villages don't sell.
Old 04-25-2024, 09:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,942 Times in 1,113 Posts

I’ve bought 6 homes in villages the first 5 were new so I was only using my vllages agent , the last was preowned so. Had both a realtor company and my villages agent. It went very well and there as no hard feelings when I bought from an outside realtor
Old 04-25-2024, 09:49 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,640 Times in 1,768 Posts

As are most MLS agents VLS agents may be independent contractors, not employees. I am not sure either way.

I found this when searching to discover whether VLS agents are independent contractors or employees. I do not know if he is correct.

https://www.thevillagesproperties.co...ge=0002753763&

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-25-2024, 09:54 AM
Sage

It seems to me that some agents want to have it both ways. They want to represent a buyer, but they want to be paid by the seller. If that is ever mandated, I would just list the house myself and offer a smaller commission to the agent who brings me a buyer. And, I don't need a "transaction" agent. I need an agent who works for me and is a good salesperson.
Old 04-26-2024, 07:20 AM

NOTE: as a buyer, you won't see a sales commission cost on your side (eg MLS agent 6%)....however, as a buyer, you will indeed be out of pocket for a number of costs (eg appraisal, taxes, loan costs, prepaid interest), so just be prepared and you'll be presented with a disclosure from the selling agent.
Old 04-26-2024, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHitch View Post
NOTE: as a buyer, you won't see a sales commission cost on your side (eg MLS agent 6%)....however, as a buyer, you will indeed be out of pocket for a number of costs (eg appraisal, taxes, loan costs, prepaid interest), so just be prepared and you'll be presented with a disclosure from the selling agent.
This is true today. This may not be true 3 months from now.
Old 04-26-2024, 10:25 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakster66 View Post
This is true today. This may not be true 3 months from now.
I was told changes due to the NAR lawsuit will begin in July. Until then, commissions owed the buyer's agent will still be paid from the seller's proceeds.
Old 04-26-2024, 03:25 PM
Veteran member

To me this seems to be much ado about nothing. I was a Realtor in NE for 41 years and when I worked with buyers, without exception I was paid by sellers. When I represented the sellers I negotiated on behalf of the sellers. When I sold my own listing I represented both parties. I am confused as I honestly do not ever remember there being a conflict.
Old 04-26-2024, 03:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedquick View Post
To me this seems to be much ado about nothing. I was a Realtor in NE for 41 years and when I worked with buyers, without exception I was paid by sellers. When I represented the sellers I negotiated on behalf of the sellers. When I sold my own listing I represented both parties. I am confused as I honestly do not ever remember there being a conflict.
I know other states are different, but, in Florida, it is illegal to represent both the buyer and the seller as an agent. You can be a transaction agent, but only if you have the written consent of the seller. If you don't have consent, you can only represent one party.
Old 04-26-2024, 03:51 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,333 Times in 603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedquick View Post
When I sold my own listing I represented both parties. I am confused as I honestly do not ever remember there being a conflict.
When you represented both parties, did you try to get the lowest price or the highest price?

Tags
commission, vls, buyer, seller, paid

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.