Iris Lanai need opinion

Closed Thread
Old 09-02-2012, 12:47 PM
Gold member
Default Iris Lanai need opinion

We have a hold on a lot and are allowed no expansions at all.

Do any Iris owners find that their standard Lanai is sufficient, size wise for you?
Old 09-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Default Not really what you asked, but...

I know this isn't exactly what you asked, but I'll give you our experiences. We purchased a standard lot intending to build an Iris and then before our year was up and we had to build on our lot, we came to visit and rented an Iris. This one had been extended. We liked the extra space on the Lanai and the garage so much that we ended up finding another lot that WAS big enough to expand front and back and we are VERY glad we did. If you have time I would suggest that you try to find an Iris to rent for a week or so with a standard Lanai and see if you think it's big enough...
Old 09-02-2012, 04:05 PM

I have an Iris standard lot 60 x 90 and I do wish the lanai was wider towards the nook slider and small window. That part of the lanai is narrow. I brought a rectangular patio set with me and I cannot fit the table or chairs in the lanai so we plan on putting in a patio the length of the lanai. I also have a wall behind me with about 10 ft of property left just enough to put in the patio that we need and for our grill too. If you can get another lot and be able to bump it out in the back and make the lanai bigger that is always an option. My nieghbor next store has the same model and they put a small table in their lanai with two chairs. If you plan on entertaining in your lanai it makes sense to get a bigger lot. Good luck Patti
Old 09-02-2012, 04:49 PM
Veteran member

Consider a lanai should be at least 12feet wide to accommodate a five foot diameter table and chairs with people sitting all and room to walk behind the seated people. Figure seated people each take at least 2 1/2 feet of floor space.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:42 PM
Gold member

Thanks so far for the input. Hubby really likes the Iris because of the golf cart garage. I like the Aspen because of the large Lanai.

Like I said, whatever house we build we can not do any bump outs or add a golf cart garage.

We really like the lot because it sits up a bit.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,618 Times in 1,349 Posts

i agree a golf cart garage and bigger lanai would be perfect..but if you really love the lot??????????
Old 09-02-2012, 06:04 PM
Sage

Golf cart garage an absolute must - didn't realize it till we were lucky enough to buy a pre-owned home with a golf cart garage. Don't know if your outdoor space can ever be big enough. I wish my whole house was outdoors with heat and air of course. Our lanai had been enclosed when we purchased our home and thought one of the first things I would do is remove all those windows and put back the screen - till I realize we could use this room when it was blowing and pouring rain outside, and everything is protected, and if we leave the slider open and the fan and the windows closed it is quite comfortable. Expanded the little grill pad to the same size of the former lanai to accomodate the grill and table with a railing. Now have the best of both worlds - can feel like we're outside with comfortable furniture and a TV and can grill and eat outside when the mood hits. I can just say whatever your choice TV is awesome and will probably exceed your expectations. Welcome and enjoy your new home.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:33 AM
Sage

I don't see the need for a golf cart garage, a 2 car garage is adequate.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
not if you have 2 cars and a golf cart - even without 2 cars so many of my neighbors say they wish they could add a golf cart garage. I believe you can never have to much garage or outdoor living space.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:05 AM
Sage

Why can't the cars or carts be outside, what is the necessity to have them indoors?
Old 09-03-2012, 08:17 AM
Gold member
Location: Northfield IL, Tampa FL, Norway, Boynton Beach FL, Highland Park IL, Gilchrist soon!

Quote:
Why can't the cars or carts be outside, what is the necessity to have them indoors?
When I was in college I had to park out of doors. In just 2 years the pait was virtually ruined on my car. The Florida sun wreaks havoc on the paint, I'm afraid! certainly that has improved over the years, but I also found a snake inside once!

Wherever I am is where I'm supposed to be
Old 09-03-2012, 08:19 AM
Gold member
Location: Northfield IL, Tampa FL, Norway, Boynton Beach FL, Highland Park IL, Gilchrist soon!

[QUOTE=hotrodgirl;550810]When I was in college I had to park out of doors. In just 2 years the paint was virtually ruined on my car. The Florida sun wreaks havoc on the paint, I'm afraid! certainly that has improved over the years, but I also found a snake inside once!

Old 09-03-2012, 08:24 AM
Gold member

Sorry-that was weird. I went to edit my first post for spelling, and it ended up posting again. I must have hit the submit button instead of the save....

Old 09-03-2012, 08:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missypie View Post
We have a hold on a lot and are allowed no expansions at all.

Do any Iris owners find that their standard Lanai is sufficient, size wise for you?
Hi

We're building a Lantana and can go back 2 ft on our lot. We're actually going to extend the house two feet and keep the Lanai as per plan. We'll furnish the lanai with wicker chairs, sofa and a coffee table of some sort. Not sure what kind of table (for eating) if any at this point.

Hope someone with a standard Iris lanai answers you. You can always bump the thread say every couple of days. People just don't come on TOTV to view every day. Good luck!
Old 09-03-2012, 08:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
We were going to build a begonia with 2000 sq feet, a large corner lot, and a golf cart garage. We ended up in a CYV with 1500 sq ft and a one and half car garage. Guess what? It's perfect. We got rid of all the junk we don't really need and didn't even know we had some of it. We have one car and one golf cart, small yard ..it's perfect for us. BTW we moved from a 5000 sq ft home with double garage and basement. Everyone may not be happy with our arrangement but for us it's perfect. Life is so much simpler without all of that stuff.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.