Volunteering?

Closed Thread
Old 11-16-2021, 10:31 AM
Default Volunteering?

Hello,

I'm Jim. I am a 60 year old single resident here in The Villages. I'd appreciate any advice you could give me in terms of volunteering this Thanksgiving and through the holidays.
Our Father just passed away up in Chicago a few months ago and that's usually where I spent the holidays. My siblings have now decided to spend their time with their spouses families during the aforementioned time(s). Of course they invited me but I passed. Dads passing is too recent for me to go up there without seeing him. I haven't made any real friends here yet, so that's out.
I've decided to volunteer my time these holidays. Feed and serve the less fortunate this Thanksgiving, collect Christmas presents for kids, etc..
I've delved into this with some Google searches but aren't finding anything local.
Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance,
Jim

Last edited by jimmio; 11-17-2021 at 01:00 AM.
Old 11-16-2021, 11:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,381 Times in 2,401 Posts

here is a start

Volunteer opportunities - The Villages, Florida - 55+ Active Adult Retirement Community Website
Old 11-16-2021, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmio View Post
Hello,

I'm Jim. I am a 60 year old single resident here in The Villages. I'd appreciate any advice you could give me in terms of volunteering this Thanksgiving and through the holidays.
Our Father just passed away up in Chicago a few months ago and that's usually where I spent the holidays. My siblings have now decided to spend their time with their spouses families during the aforementioned time(s). Of course they invited me but I passed. Dads passing is too recent for me to go up there without seeing him. I haven't made any real friends here yet, so that's out.
I've decided to volunteer my time theses holidays. Feed and serve the less fortunate this Thanksgiving, collect Christmas presents for kids, etc..
I've delved into this with some Google searches but aren't finding anything local.
Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance,
Jim
I have been thinking of this myself, but, need to find something I really enjoy doing. ie. anything local with animals... so Rescue's, Sanctuary, Animal services, or Local Veterinarians always need volunteers. Do you like to sing? plenty of singing groups you can join, or single groups that are teaching dancing. Meet people and make friends... its a wonderful place here.. .HAVE FUN whatever you do, make it your fun happy
Old 11-16-2021, 02:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Give the Salvation Army a look....they're still looking for 'bell ringers' to stand outside places all over the villages.

google the Leesburg location

it starts right after Thanksgiving

I've rung the bell every year since we moved to the villages, because I always wanted to do that....

lots of people stop to tell stories of how someone in their family rang the bell for years...

that's the only connection I have with the Salvation Army other than sending them money
Closed Thread

Tags
holidays, volunteering, thanksgiving, passed, decided

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.