Walk-through at closing with new construction

Closed Thread
Old 05-24-2021, 06:42 AM

Please get a home inspector, worth the money
Old 05-24-2021, 06:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

I agree with the others. The walk through is mainly an opportunity for the builder to explain your new home to you. After you close, spend the next several days checking everything out and compiling your punch list. They are great at responding. Remember, at 11 months you will want to have a home inspector come in and create your one year warranty list. Again, they will fix everything on the list. Easy peasy.
Old 05-24-2021, 06:48 AM
Default Inspection

Quote:
Originally Posted by baustgen View Post
The Villages will correct any problem in the first year. You should concentrate on how things work, especially the cut off valves for the sprinklers and water. How the thermostat works. That you have all the manuals for the appliances and mechanical. After 6 months, hire Frank DiAngelo to do your punch list. He found 17 items for us we never would have listed. Best $300 I ever spent.
Completely agree - this is the most important thing you can do. But I would schedule the inspection 2 or 3 months before the warranty expires. Frank is The Man so he is booked up for several months in advanced.
Old 05-24-2021, 07:21 AM
Default Cosmetic and exterior

There is a shortened time frame for exterior items, lawn, plants, trees, to be reported so if not on initial inspection BE SURE to get those in within the first 2-3 weeks.
Also as quickly as possible document cosmetic stuff because it too can be trouble to get fixed later. If you have something that can be claimed by the builder as move-in damage document and report it ASAP before furniture etc. goes in the house.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:06 AM

We found lots of minor cosmetic issues. Bring a roll of blue tape to mark the area, and don't be afraid to be fussy. We found the builder marked and repaired even more little things that we missed. Caulking not done, paint around windows, scrapes on doors, cement cracks around doors.
The Warranty Dept is very responsive. You have a year. Many new home buyers get an inspection by a licensed home inspector before their warranty expires. It is a good idea.The inspector will do a very thorough check of your house top to bottom. It is well worth it.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinner1001 View Post
We are closing on a Designer house of new construction. I have heard the developer’s new house warranty works well.

With the developer’s warranty, how careful should I be during the walk through with the builder on the day of closing to spot problems?

What areas should I pay particular attention?
The walk though is sort of a tradition. We did ours eight years ago. Frankly the builders representative saw things we did not. He marked them on his pad or was it a tablet and had them taken care of.

I do not claim to be an expert but that one year warranty is not the builder or the villages it is law. Plumbing and electrical is longer than a year.

Many people hire a home inspector before the year is up. The cost is around $500.
Your walk thorough? Are you prepared to go into the attic to inspect insulation, duct work etc? Are you planning on going on the roof to inspect?
Old 05-24-2021, 08:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinTV View Post
There is a shortened time frame for exterior items, lawn, plants, trees, to be reported so if not on initial inspection BE SURE to get those in within the first 2-3 weeks.
Also as quickly as possible document cosmetic stuff because it too can be trouble to get fixed later. If you have something that can be claimed by the builder as move-in damage document and report it ASAP before furniture etc. goes in the house.
As far as garden issues. Things done wrong may not show up for years. Stuff like buried trash, not removing plastic burlap used around plant roots. Wires left around plant trunks.
As far as a lawn, they lay down sod with zero soil preparation. Sod is essentially grass with most of it's root cut off so you have easy to roll out grass. It is hot and dry right now.
Newly planted lawn and plants need to be watered more than later when they have rooted in.
Old 05-24-2021, 09:18 AM
Default Closing inspection

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinner1001 View Post
We are closing on a Designer house of new construction. I have heard the developer’s new house warranty works well.

With the developer’s warranty, how careful should I be during the walk through with the builder on the day of closing to spot problems?

What areas should I pay particular attention?
Have an inspector go through the home at the closing inspection. Worth every penny. The inspector has knowledge of each home style and issues with particular models. They will find things the average home buyer would never see. The inspector will also send a detailed report to the warranty department that will initiate the repair process. Makes life easy.

We use Jeffery Asbach 352-748-2008. Does a great job on new home inspection and final at the years end.
Old 05-24-2021, 11:01 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood8300 View Post
Completely agree - this is the most important thing you can do. But I would schedule the inspection 2 or 3 months before the warranty expires. Frank is The Man so he is booked up for several months in advanced.
Totally agree w/Frank & time frame to call him.
Old 05-24-2021, 11:10 AM

Great list. I would add to check caulking everywhere.
Old 05-24-2021, 11:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
I agree with the others. The walk through is mainly an opportunity for the builder to explain your new home to you. After you close, spend the next several days checking everything out and compiling your punch list. They are great at responding. Remember, at 11 months you will want to have a home inspector come in and create your one year warranty list. Again, they will fix everything on the list. Easy peasy.
As another poster mentioned, on some items you do not have a year to get them fixed: lawn/landscaping, screens (one of our bedroom screens was missing), any finish problems on fixtures (our guest bath light over the sink had a defective finish) for examples. Get it in writing what has a year warranty & what does not
Old 05-24-2021, 12:56 PM
Default Frank D'Angelo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood8300 View Post
Thought he was good at the time but he missed a leak in our roof - it was slow but we found it after one year warranty ended cost 200. Also missed insulation missing over guest bedroom. When I went into the attic to look I could clearly see it was missing when I climbed up to where it was 500 to fix since it too was over the year new warranty.

Just saying.
Old 05-24-2021, 02:37 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

I agree with what many folks have posted here. The builders walk through is not designed to be your punch list inspection....it is more to get you acquainted with your home systems, etc. While some of the builders say you have a week to submit your punch list, Warranty will tell you that you have about 30 days.

If during the walk through the builder says he will take care of something, it is always good to have him initial that repair on your list, so you have proof that it was agreed that it would be taken care of. He does many walk throughs on many homes in a year...he may not remember what he said months before.

It is important to know that SOME components are ONLY warranted for the first 30 days. These are mainly items that could be damaged after you take possession of your home...for example, if you find a large scratch in your kitchen sink during the walkthrough, they should take care of it, because you have not have the chance to cause this. However after you have lived there awhile you could have caused that scratch yourself with your roasting pan. Common sense.

Other items that are only 30 day items are scratches, blemishes in countertops, light fixtures, sinks, tubs, all screening damage, mirrors, windows, glass doors, toilet seats, doorknobs, cabinet knobs, appliances, etc., etc....

Also all landscaping and in most cases, sod.

Understand that a homeowner CAN do a good punch list inspection themselves. The Villages should take care of SEVERE wall blemishes, but it should be noted that you bought a production home that was built in a few months, and some folks MAY feel that in some cases the fit and finish may not exceed their high standards if they are used to a custom crafted home that could take a large number of craftsmen years to finish.

Understand also that many issues that we find after you have owned the home for 10-11 months will NOT show up during the first month because the home has not settled yet. Drywall cracks, screw pops, grout cracks, etc. often take months to show up. The Villages does not want to come over to your home EVERY time you find another hairline crack in the drywall...they would prefer you come out once after we find all of them during the 11 month inspection.

During the 11 month inspection we will walk all over your roof, crawl all over your attic, check all components like your electrical, roof trusses, A/C system, insulation, Garage doors and openers, plumbing, etc., etc. We are not only checking for structural, mechanical and safety issues, but also all of the small cosmetic issues that The Villages will repair or replace, like cracks, tile chips, cabinet adjustments, etc. etc.

Some inspectors do not do all of these things. I saw a cheaper inspector the other day that poked his head into the attic, but did NOT enter the attic. But he was cheap and quick. When you pay so much to own a home in The Villages, why would you "cheap out" on this important step?

I'm saddened to read one negative post here about our work. The Villages tells us that we do more warranty inspections than any other company here. We love what we do and bend over backwards to keep our customers happy. We have the highest positive reviews of almost any company in The Villages, and we do over 700 warranty inspections a year, and have been doing so for almost 10 years now. It is so rare to have a displeased customer...I have not had even one for years, I do not even remember when this has occurred. Also sad that the first I hear of a displeased customer it is on a public forum with no way of even knowing the specifics to even respond accordingly. I guess after doing literally thousands of warranty inspections our perfect record could not last forever.

Roof leaks could start anytime, after a storm, etc., and are covered by your roofer for more than one year. A very small leak in a roof can be difficult to find, especially if need without drywall damage. As far is missing or displaced insulation, we find this almost everyday, and in areas where it is difficult to find in the attic, we look at everything with a thermal imaging camera, which can also help us find this issue.

Anyway, If we can help in any way answering questions about your new Villages home, we are always happy to help.

Respectfully, Frank, Steven and Eric D'angelo (ASHi and NACHI certified and Florida Association of Building Inspectors MASTER inspector)
Old 05-24-2021, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baustgen View Post
The Villages will correct any problem in the first year. You should concentrate on how things work, especially the cut off valves for the sprinklers and water. How the thermostat works. That you have all the manuals for the appliances and mechanical. After 6 months, hire Frank DiAngelo to do your punch list. He found 17 items for us we never would have listed. Best $300 I ever spent.
You only have a short period of time to identify cosmetic issues. I found some after the time frame allowed, but before my warranty expired and was told they wouldn't fix them. If I had to do it all over again, I would hire D'Angelo to come in right after I close to find all cosmetic and non-cosmetic issues.
Old 05-24-2021, 07:35 PM

The most important thing, besides looking for obvious issues, is to listen to the builder’s representative explain how the HVAC works and the Sprinklers and the Tankless Hot Water tank, etc. Ask about exterior maintenance, how about how take care of the flooring. Learn how your new thermostat works, etc. Pick their brains about as many of system and mechanical items as you can think of. I strongly suggest you ask about insulating the attic above the garage and lanai. How about insulation on the inside of the garage doors? What is their recommendations.

As everyone has said they have an excellent warranty department but you only get one real chance to pick the builders brain.

Also pay attention to the briefing the Lobbyhost gives you when you get your ID, gate pass and mailbox keys. Lots of valuable information crammed into a very short introduction. Read the handouts they give you. Lastly do NOT discard the phone book, the first 15 or 20 pages has valuable information.
Closed Thread

Tags
closing, house, warranty, developer’s, construction

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.