Walk thru after closing by mail

Closed Thread
Old 07-06-2012, 06:48 AM
Default Walk thru after closing by mail

We are thinking about closing by mail. Does your sales rep do the walk thru?
What happens if you find items after you move in that needs correction?
Old 07-06-2012, 06:50 AM
Sage

A phone call to warranty will produce an amazing response.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:29 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

If a new home, no problem. Either your sales rep or the builder will do a walk-through and set up minor repairs (at least for those on the exterior). Interior will probably have to wait until you're down. The one thing you need to find a way to schedule and have done within 30 days of closing is to have the sprinkler system checked by the installer (it will be in your closing papers). Maybe your sales rep would be willing to do this for you.

For any other issues, you have one year from date of closing to get them to home warranty to take care of. It is worth the money to have a home inspector check your property about 6 weeks before the year ends. The inspector will send a copy of the report to home warranty and you'll be called by the subcontractors to come make repairs within 72 hours.

If it is a pre-owned home, I'm assuming you had a home inspection done prior to closing. If so, ask your sales rep to do a check to make sure all items have been repaired.

And congrats!

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 07-06-2012, 07:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We closed on our first home by mail and then when we arrived we noted a few items that needed fixed. A little grout missing, a missing sink plug, the pole light wasn't lighting.

The builder came for the walk through. (You have the builder walk through when you arrive, or you did four years ago)

The builder.....(the head construction person of the teams that built your home, there are many builders here) arrived and we gave him the list of things that we noted. He stepped away from us and made a few calls and proceeded to show us how to program the sprinklers and how to change the filters and pointed out things about the windows etc, and while he was doing that trucks pulled up in front and someone brought me a sink stopper, someone changed the bulb in the pole light and someone began to grout the place in the kitchen that was missing.

He answered our questions and left. We still could call warranty on any matter that needed attention. And they came always within 24 hours.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:24 AM

Thanks for the info...we close September 10th!!!! Woo hoo!!!
Old 07-06-2012, 09:01 AM
Gold member
Location: Northfield IL, Tampa FL, Norway, Boynton Beach FL, Highland Park IL, Gilchrist soon!
Default Walk thru

If I recall, I was told I could close by mail and would have 5 days after I picked up my keys after I arrived to walk through with the builder and point out what I wanted fixed. Also you have one year from closing to report deficiencies to the warranty department. Ditto on the sprinkler system, 30 days from close...

Wherever I am is where I'm supposed to be
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.