Walk-in tub?

Closed Thread
Old 03-08-2018, 06:43 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN
Default Walk-in tub?

Have you tried a walk-in tub in your house? What are the pros and cons? How does the bather stay warm while the tub is filling up?
Old 03-08-2018, 06:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

OP, there was a thread on this a few months ago, try searching this site, as I recall there was a lot of useful info.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:46 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
OP, there was a thread on this a few months ago, try searching this site, as I recall there was a lot of useful info.
Thanks. I entered "walk-in tub" in the search box and found only one with no responses. It was more of an ad.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could locate the site you mentioned.

Thanks so much.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Pay attention to the features but filling and emptying is probably not a big problem.
You might want to get one that keeps the water the same temp it was when you filled the tub (electric heater, does not increase temp)
How big is your water heater? 40 gallons will work but 50 would be better. Can also turn temp to high before each use. The problem is if you have a 55 gallon tub and a 40 gallon hot water heater your tub will probably be half filled when your tank is half filled with new cold water. Just a heads up if you like "hot" soakings. 40 gallons will work.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:28 PM
Sage

OP, use the ADVANCED search, then enter 'walkin' or walk in' and 'tub' this should get you a lot more results.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPutnam1863 View Post
Have you tried a walk-in tub in your house? What are the pros and cons? How does the bather stay warm while the tub is filling up?
Instructions,..Let the warm water fill up with the door closed.. Then, climb, crawl over the shut door to enter the warm tub..Caution: Be sure NOT to open the door to enter the tub, or you be swept out onto the street niked..
Old 03-08-2018, 08:52 PM

There are many pros and cons as stated earlier. My sister had one installed in her manufactured double wide located in South Jersey. She bought it through Lowes. The cost came in at about $14,000. She included all the bells and whistles. The installation went well. However the inconvenience outwayed the pleasure. Over the course of one year I don't think she used it six times. With that amount of money she could have completely renovated her bath and installed a wonderful walk-in shower with sauna-like water features. The downside is that having such a tub can negatively impact the future sale of the home. You'd have to find a buyer that is looking specifically for that feature. On the other hand a beautifully renovated bath adds value. IMHO
Old 03-08-2018, 08:56 PM

My mother had one.
Staying warm while the tub was filling was not the problem.

Staying warm while the tub drained and she was soaking wet made it dangerous. She would try to climb out wet because she was cold. It made the bath situation worse.

We used two tub benches. We cut plastic pvc pipe to length and placed the legs of the bench that was half in the tub and half on the floor inside the pvc pipes. It took some work and a lot of wasted pipe, but my brother and I got the benches to be only an inch different in height.

She could then sit outside the tub, slide over and slowly bring her legs in and out.

Not perfect, but it worked.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I have everything I need to install our walk-in tub. I am thinking a little out of the box and installing it in the laundry room as it is gigantic. Should be pretty simple. I have an old 30-gallon water heater and believe it should be fine. I'm concerned about the drain. If we like it I will be purchasing a new one with all the Bell's & Whistles to replace my shower stall. Wish me luck. It seems to be an easy project but you never know what you're going to run in to. or maybe
Old 03-08-2018, 09:54 PM
Sage

Nucky,

Pay careful attention to the floor of the tub support, it may require to be installed in a bed of wet concrete to provide support, I had this with a neo angular shower stall base. Per the instructions, failure to use the wet concrete sub-base would cause the base to crack.

Also, make sure the electrical supply is through a GFCI breaker (I am assuming this unit requires 240 vac), if not make sure it is plugged into a GFCI protect receptacle.

Good luck with your project.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Nucky,

Pay careful attention to the floor of the tub support, it may require to be installed in a bed of wet concrete to provide support, I had this with a neo angular shower stall base. Per the instructions, failure to use the wet concrete sub-base would cause the base to crack.

Also, make sure the electrical supply is through a GFCI breaker (I am assuming this unit requires 240 vac), if not make sure it is plugged into a GFCI protect receptacle.

Good luck with your project.
It is a 12' x 14' room with a 6" concrete floor. It is a regular outlet to plug the motor into but thanks for the heads up on the GFCI breaker. You saved me again. Thanks, Amigo. I'm on it .
Old 03-09-2018, 07:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Most, if not all, walk in tubs are 110/115 volt. Depending on your setup, you could need 2 (20 amp) circuits. Some use 15 amp circuits. Either way GFCI protection is required.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:28 AM
Sage

A year ago we had one installed by TheraTub out of Tampa. We'd done our homework first in pricing and these folks were very competitive. PLUS their product is American made, where many are not. The factory is in Georgia.

We got ours because we have some physical issues at our house that made a regular tub impossible to use. We looked into hot tubs too but this avenue seemed a better choice as we don't have to use chemicals and can utilize it in all kinds of weather (not having to go outside). It empties quickly and the water remains hot while in use. It's been a true blessing!
Old 03-09-2018, 09:12 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Pay attention to the features but filling and emptying is probably not a big problem.
You might want to get one that keeps the water the same temp it was when you filled the tub (electric heater, does not increase temp)
How big is your water heater? 40 gallons will work but 50 would be better. Can also turn temp to high before each use. The problem is if you have a 55 gallon tub and a 40 gallon hot water heater your tub will probably be half filled when your tank is half filled with new cold water. Just a heads up if you like "hot" soakings. 40 gallons will work.
Wow!!! That was a very helpful piece of info. Thanks so much.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:23 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
OP, use the ADVANCED search, then enter 'walkin' or walk in' and 'tub' this should get you a lot more results.
no luck here either. The tricky word here is "tub" and so I get results mostly having to do with real estate listing homes having tubs esp hot tubs which I am most certainly not looking for. Thanks though.
Closed Thread

Tags
tub, walk-in, bather, stay, warm

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.