Walkers - PLEASE MOVE OVER

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2018, 04:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts
Default Walkers - PLEASE MOVE OVER

Since my rotator cuff surgery two weeks ago, I’ve been walking about 4 miles a day on my days off from work.

I am amazed at the number of people that won’t move over to the edge of the MMP’s when a cart is coming toward them; do they think they’re invincible? I get completely off the path when a cart is approaching.

With the age and the failing eyesight of a lot of people driving those carts, trust me, you’re not going to win a collision with a golf cart. MOVE OVER.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

I don’t agree that walkers need to move over. MMP stands for multi modal path, which would include walkers. If I’m driving my cart and encounter a walker, I signal my lane change, get into the car lane, then move back to the MMP after I pass them. I agree that a collision with one would be deadly, and if I’m walking, I pay attention to make sure that the cart driver sees me. So far, I haven’t needed to jump into the bushes to avoid being hit.

Is that incorrect?
Old 11-24-2018, 05:25 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
I don’t agree that walkers need to move over. MMP stands for multi modal path, which would include walkers. If I’m driving my cart and encounter a walker, I signal my lane change, get into the car lane, then move back to the MMP after I pass them. I agree that a collision with one would be deadly, and if I’m walking, I pay attention to make sure that the cart driver sees me. So far, I haven’t needed to jump into the bushes to avoid being hit.

Is that incorrect?
I completely agree. When I see a walker, I immediately slow down to 5 mph and pass when safe. I also wave and smile. 🤗

Thinking further on this, WHY will people not face traffic?
Old 11-24-2018, 06:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Well, as long as we are at it:

And Carts coming around the completely blind curve at the Stillwater crossing on the MMP to/from LSL in either direction at 20MPH++++++ please slow down. Almost been knocked over multiple times and once had my arm clipped by a mirror. Have to walk in the wet grass to not get killed.

It's not a GOLF CART PATH it a MULTI MODAL PATH.

EDIT: I just saw the 2 previous posts! YES!
Old 11-24-2018, 06:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:

Is that incorrect?
I think you are confusing the MMP with the golf cart and bike lane, which runs along side of a vehicle traffic lane.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 11-24-2018, 07:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:

Is that incorrect?
Really hard to move over when you have that perfect moment when you have a walker and two carts at the same point at the same time. Do what YOU want; I’ve notified too many next of kin because someone made a wrong decision.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:17 PM

I walk just about every day and I always stay as close to the edge of the MMP as possible. I often move onto the grass when I know a cart is coming from both directions. I am often amazed at how fast some carts travel on the paths. We all need to be courteous to each other. Walkers move over & carts slow down!
Old 11-24-2018, 08:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC419 View Post
I walk just about every day and I always stay as close to the edge of the MMP as possible. I often move onto the grass when I know a cart is coming from both directions. I am often amazed at how fast some carts travel on the paths. We all need to be courteous to each other. Walkers move over & carts slow down!
Excellent post.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2018, 09:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,079 Times in 2,746 Posts

When we go for a walk, we drive our golf cart to one of several places where we enjoy walking where there is no car or golf cart traffic. Problem solved.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
When we go for a walk, we drive our golf cart to one of several places where we enjoy walking where there is no car or golf cart traffic. Problem solved.
Could you please let us know where some of those places are?

Thanks!
Old 11-24-2018, 10:10 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

Is that incorrect?
If you are driving a car, you shouldn't be on a multi modal path!
Old 11-24-2018, 11:20 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

Is that incorrect?
And if you are the walker and the golf cart driver is not watching out for you??? Hope you are super quick on your feet!

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2018, 11:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,935 Times in 2,457 Posts

What about 2 or walking abreast and even over the center line. OK, I understand there are special people and the world revolves around them! The MMP path not wide enough to be walking 3 or 4 abreast talking and not paying attention.

IMO same rules should apply walking on roadway with no sidewalk, single file when traffic approaches and on the edge ready to step off, the grass won’t hurt you expensive none walking shoes.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,935 Times in 2,457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraugoofy View Post
And if you are the walker and the golf cart driver is not watching out for you??? Hope you are super quick on your feet!

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Or have MAC truck stamped on forehead?
Old 11-25-2018, 07:00 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

I walk with Dad everyday. We stay in the neighborhood which is pretty safe, except 1 road. Then I go play and walk an executive course.
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, move, people, completely, invincible

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.