Walkers - PLEASE MOVE OVER

Closed Thread
Old 11-29-2018, 09:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VILLAGERBB View Post
Cars, golfcarts, bicycles and pedestrians....The Perfect Storm!

Cars, golfcarts, bicycles and pedestrians all using the same roadways - The perfect mix for accidents waiting to happen.
Job security for all of our Emergency Services people. We'd never survive without them. Thank you EMS.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 11-29-2018, 10:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
That would go for driving a car too. You are many more times likely to get into a car accident than a walking accident on the MMP with a golf cart (not that either one is better than the other). Aside from the fact that is what they are for, we walk 6 miles a day, are we supposed to walk around the block 70 times? Gets boring as does walking a 1 mile walking path 6 times or driving 10 miles to get to a long path (with a greater chance of a car accident). Watching the sunrise, the big birds and the golfers is part of the "life" around here. We can't all hide. A piece of space junk can fall on your head too.
Most neighborhoods have many streets that you can walk up and down. The streets are wider and have enough room off to the sides so that cars can pass walkers. Especially if you're walking against the traffic. I doubt that walking on 20 mph streets within the neighborhoods is more dangerous than walking on narrow cart paths where two golf carts barely fit.

Boring? Walking for the sake of exercise is pretty boring to begin with. Walk wherever you want. I'm just saying that you're taking your life in your hands walking on the cart paths.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
If there are cars there, it is NOT a multimodal path. It is a cart/bike lane. There is a huge difference. Multimodal paths are isolated from the street usually by a fairly wide buffer, and are actually private property.
And I see people walking in these Cart/Bike lanes as well. That's even more dangerous than the MMPs.

Like I said, you may have the right to walk in these places, but that's not going to do anyone any good when they are lying in a hospital room or worse, a grave.

Walk where you want, but an accident is going to happen. Just pray that it's not to you.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Most neighborhoods have many streets that you can walk up and down. The streets are wider and have enough room off to the sides so that cars can pass walkers. Especially if you're walking against the traffic. I doubt that walking on 20 mph streets within the neighborhoods is more dangerous than walking on narrow cart paths where two golf carts barely fit.

Boring? Walking for the sake of exercise is pretty boring to begin with. Walk wherever you want. I'm just saying that you're taking your life in your hands walking on the cart paths.
"Taking your life in your hands." Isn't that a bit overblown? Accidents happen everywhere but there haven't been too many on an MMP. Not boring at all unless I have to just walk around my (or anyone's) neighborhood. There are less boring more "visually pleasing" walks to take like on the MMP's by a golf course or by a lake on an MMP. I didn't move down here to be impressed by neighbors front yards and garbage bags out on their garbage day. The "pleasant environment" is part of what I paid for. If I am supposed to avoid of walking where I am permitted to on a MMP there is something terribly wrong. A piece of space junk can fall on your head around your block (which would be my luck).
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, move, people, completely, invincible

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.