Walking on the Correct Side of the Pedestrian Path

Closed Thread
Old 01-18-2022, 07:21 PM

It is called a brake pedal. Slow down. People walking are not required to step into the mud or wet grass. People walking and getting exercise are not required to make-way for an American Big Body (ABB) (aka Lard Nugget) who cannot fathom walking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
It's a lot easier for a walker/jogger to step off the path than it is for a golfcart to swerve into traffic, period. If that is too difficult to understand, then keep demanding your right of way and see how that works out for you. Most drivers of carts will swerve IF possible so that you don't get your dainty little sneakers dusty in the grass. But, I am not going to play chicken with another oncoming cart or car if on a public road, just to appease the sensitivities of a walker. If that makes me a mean person, then welcome to the real world. If you see a cart, bicycle or skateboard coming, step to one side or be prepared for an unpleasant experience. Common sense.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:00 PM

As a semi-retired attorney I make a point of minding the rule of being cautious not to harm someone. I once sued a guy (for a client) and received a $1.1M judgment against them. The guy did not have enough insurance or money to satisfy the judgment.

I proceeded to renew that judgment for many years until the judgment was satisfied with 12% statutory interest tacked onto the uncollected amounts. 12% is a pretty good return on investment especially when compounded annually.

He even moved out of state and I hired a skip-tracer at that time with a 20% recovery if he could attach assets in the new state.

I guarantee you I will be respectful of you guys running and walking and biking. Because a judgement lien creditor is a real thing.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
It's a lot easier for a walker/jogger to step off the path than it is for a golfcart to swerve into traffic, period. If that is too difficult to understand, then keep demanding your right of way and see how that works out for you. Most drivers of carts will swerve IF possible so that you don't get your dainty little sneakers dusty in the grass. But, I am not going to play chicken with another oncoming cart or car if on a public road, just to appease the sensitivities of a walker. If that makes me a mean person, then welcome to the real world. If you see a cart, bicycle or skateboard coming, step to one side or be prepared for an unpleasant experience. Common sense.
Wow, have we forgotten the rules of the road. Pedestrian ps always have the right of way, the bikes and then cars and/or golf carts. Just like driving a car on the street. If an obstacle is in front of you on your side of the street whether it is a stopped vehicle, trash truck, mailman, pedestrian it is your responsibility to stop if there is an oncoming car. You must stop until you can safely pull around and proceed. Anything less than that is unexceptionable anywhere you travel not just on the paths around The Villages.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecoralbill View Post
Golden eagle stated: MMP's are not sidewalks. There are almost no sidewalks in the villages, so Golden Eagles point is not universally applicable to the villages.
Bicycles and golf carts are not allowed on sidewalks, bicycles and golf carts are allowed on multi modal paths, therefore multi modal paths are not sidewalks. Thus, a pedestrian does not have to use an MMP, as some here are implying.
But is they do they have a right to and pedestrians have the right of way. I can understand now why so many walkers give me such a big wave because I give them plenty of room and it seems like many others try to run them down.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by triflex View Post
They are called Multi-Modal Paths (Carts, Bikes, Walkers, Runners, etc.). Golf carts are literally designed to actually go into the grass and go around them if the driver simply cannot slow down and make way.

All a cart owner has to do is turn the steering wheel to go around a walker on the MMP. And also remember that many walkers are concealed carry permit holders and that attempting to pressure and run someone over may lead to sudden and rapid life exit.
Really going there, walkers are carrying? If this ever happened it sure would be sad.
Old 01-18-2022, 10:26 PM

As I calculate it, a golf cart with a driver going 20mph will impart 5,735 foot pounds of force to anyone it comes in contact with.

If, as some people here seem to imply, they are deliberately inclined not give way to pedestrians, that is the use of deadly force.

Now, add two occupants and a high-speed gear and ....you should get a life sentence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
Really going there, walkers are carrying? If this ever happened it sure would be sad.
Old 01-18-2022, 11:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
As I calculate it, a golf cart with a driver going 20mph will impart 5,735 foot pounds of force to anyone it comes in contact with.

If, as some people here seem to imply, they are deliberately inclined not give way to pedestrians, that is the use of deadly force.

Now, add two occupants and a high-speed gear and ....you should get a life sentence.
Understand that for sure, just didn’t know so many walkers were carrying in The Villages.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:01 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Understand that for sure, just didn’t know so many walkers were carrying in The Villages.
That’s not a banana in my pocket
Old 01-19-2022, 08:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Wow, have we forgotten the rules of the road. Pedestrian ps always have the right of way, the bikes and then cars and/or golf carts. Just like driving a car on the street. If an obstacle is in front of you on your side of the street whether it is a stopped vehicle, trash truck, mailman, pedestrian it is your responsibility to stop if there is an oncoming car. You must stop until you can safely pull around and proceed. Anything less than that is unexceptionable anywhere you travel not just on the paths around The Villages.
"Rules of the road?" Do rules of the road pertain to the "paths" in the Villages? The OP was about the paths, NOT about the roads. What is easier, asserting your right of way and playing chicken with those that don't care about the rule, or taking one step off the path into the grass when attempting to avoid a conflict with a larger object? Personally, I check the oncoming traffic and then slow and make a wide pass around walkers and joggers. The reason for making a wide circuit past someone is in case they stumble or fall into my path. I am never in a hurry if I am operating a golf cart, so slowing down does not affect me. But, if I was walking or jogging I would be courteous and step off the path of oncoming vehicles. It is a simple thing, and safer for all.
Old 01-19-2022, 11:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
It is called a brake pedal. Slow down. People walking are not required to step into the mud or wet grass. People walking and getting exercise are not required to make-way for an American Big Body (ABB) (aka Lard Nugget) who cannot fathom walking.
Yes, "wet grass" if so horrific!

As to your other points, I'll refrain from responding in kind...

-Tom Petty
Old 01-19-2022, 11:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevillages2013 View Post
That’s not a banana in my pocket
And I'm not happy to see you!

-Tom Petty
Old 01-19-2022, 11:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
I don't know about "so many", but they are certainly out there...

A trip to "Shooter's World" over by Brownwood will convince you of that...

-Tom Petty
Old 01-19-2022, 03:11 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Oh yes a drunk shot up his neighbors front door and a father shot his son are the only gun incidents I remember in The Villages and maybe a suicide.
Old 01-19-2022, 04:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Last year there was an incident at the dog park in the neighborhood of DeSoto. For some reason, one person pulled out a gun and threatened another person.
Old 01-19-2022, 04:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdulej View Post
With grass you likely swing to far into the comfort zone vs resistance. Your feet may benefit but the added effort to run through grass may not be worth it. While you are running these decisions are what keep you occupied.

IMO asphalt is not soft surface, it porous surface when concrete way less porous. IMO faults sense of softness. IMO runners foot not sinking into surface and that surface in not soft enough for you weight to cause rebound affect.
Closed Thread

Tags
walking, side, pedestrian, path, golf

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.