Walking in the Dark

Closed Thread
Old 01-13-2016, 08:42 AM
Sage

This is coincidental but my daughter just sent me this for Christmas.
click here

It's a 5 LED CAP-CLIP ON LAMP LIGHT
Old 01-13-2016, 08:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimesintv View Post
I don't think this almost-collision has anything to do with this being "a retirement community" nor with most "eyes not as good as they once were".

Pedestrians are not to be walking in front of moving vehicles, period.

I've never seen so many people as I see here, who have no respect or fear of moving vehicles coming toward them, and they just walk mindlessly in front or behind a moving vehicle without even looking! And some walk in front of/behind a moving vehicle mindFULLy, as if to prove "I'm right, and you're wrong". But who wants to be right in a trauma unit and rehab hospital for months/years, or in a cemetery!!

It's not a matter of who's right or who's wrong. It's a matter of pedestrians, too, taking responsibility for their own safety, by using their brain that should tell them that white tail lights lit up on the vehicle means the car is in reverse and about to back up, and they might not see you in the daylight OR dark!

The pedestrian also has to be responsible for their safety by wearing white or light colored/clothing and reflective vests, striping and/or lights/flashlight. Without it you are a menace.
Thank you Good Times, for your reply to my original post on my near collision, I whole heartedly agree with your assessment of this situation. I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that both walkers and golf cart drivers have a death wish. I'm used to driving in Boston where you had better have eyes in the back of your head to stay safe, but the majority of pedestrians in the big cities have the smarts to stay alive on their own without relying on a drivers to stop for them.

I live in an area that should be very quiet, but it is also a cut through from one village to another and I cannot tell you how many times I have had golf cart drivers come out of the cut through - they can obviously see me backing out and yet they still keep coming at top speed and try to overtake me while I am backing onto the road .................. what the h..l do they think they are doing. I drive a big car, I could squash you like a bug.

I am still kinda shaken up from my close call, but your reasonable and very sensible post helps. Thank you again for your commonsense!

As my otherhalf always says "Would you rather be right, or DEAD right!"

Please don't get the impression that I shoot out of my driveway like a bullet out of a gun - My neighbor has planted a large, growing larger all the time, bush on the corner of their lot so I have to back out really slowly to see past that and get out onto the road safely.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Last edited by Madelaine Amee; 01-13-2016 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,050 Times in 373 Posts

I was backing out of our driveway not long ago and noticed a man and woman coming on bicycles. I stopped halfway down the driveway and looked in my rear view mirror to watch them pass. Nothing. I looked back to the left and saw the man down in the grass. I though he had a heart attack and got out to help. His wife started yelling at me because she didn't think I was going to stop. Turns out the husband was fine, was just following his wife too close when she hit the brakes.
He realized I saw them. He asked his wife to stop telling at me for stopping halfway down the driveway. LOL, it just shows everyone has to be careful, everywhere. They now ride past the house with the brightest orange or green shirts you've ever seen.
Closed Thread

Tags
dark, reflector, black, wear, night, vests, strips, tape, wrong, walk, morning, eyes, longer, good, admit, community, retirement, living, clothing, ways, looked, straightened, drive, car, stopped

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.