Walking in the diamond lanes

Closed Thread
Old 12-22-2017, 08:08 AM

People in this community are not idiots, but some seem to be arrogant. They might reconsider their positions once they realize that they have no legal recourse if they are injured while they themselves are in violation of the state statutes. I know a man who was running on the wrong side of the road and was hit by a car trying to squeeze by him. The responding LEO ticketed him for misuse of the roadway.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
According to the Florida statutes that someone posted above.....a pedestrian does not have the right of way in the multi modal path if there is a sidewalk present.
Agreed.

Not sure if someone who walks in a diamond lane when there is a sidewalk present even has the right to be allowed out in public.

Too many people are a risk to themselves, and to others, by just not thinking.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:37 AM
Veteran member

Everyone thinks the have the right of way here. Golf, carts Bicycle riders, Walkers you name it. The older folks get the more they think the world owes them and they are never wrong.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
MMP and diamond lanes should have been strictly for golf carts . Why? Because this is the largest golf cart community in the nation, dare I say world.
Also, sidewalks are rare. If they were on every street, they would be a blessing when there are so many walkers.

Last edited by Barefoot; 12-22-2017 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:43 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

[QUOTE=coffeebean;1493889]According to the Florida statutes that someone posted above.....a pedestrian does not have the right of way in the multi tmodal path if there is a sidewalk present. However, a pedestrian does have the right of way if no sidewalk is present.

I don't believe that the statutes cited above make reference to walking in a Multimodal walkway. I did not see where they say a pedestrian could not walk on multimodal paths whether or not there is a sidewalk. In most cases that I know of, there are not sidewalks along Multimodal paths.

The Villages district gov website states

" The multi-modal paths are for use by NON-AUTOMOTIVE, non-vehicular traffic such as bicycles, golf carts, pedestrians, and skaters. It is not legal…nor is it smart…to drive vehicles such as smart cars, motorcycles, or mopeds on any of the multi-modal paths in The Villages."

That does not specify who has the right away. Reason must prevail. But as a pedestrian, my reason says step aside as a golf cart approaches even if I have the right away. And I don't wave at golfcart drivers as I want their hands on the wheel. Also carry a flashlight in the evening. Alert to drivers going towards the sun and especially wary of happy hour drivers. Be safe, be here.

Living close to Lake Sumter, I must use the Multimodal path as I walk to Lake Sumter, but I only use it in areas where I must. Under no usual circumstance will I use the Multimodal tunnel under Morse. Better to walk north on Morse away from roundabout and wait for a clean crossing.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:32 PM
Veteran member

Walk SINGLE file as far to LEFT as you can and be prepared to avoid oncoming traffic. Common sense unless you are Superman. I was told at a very early age to yield to anything larger than me. Still sound advise.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:39 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

After reading the comments I think it's clear we need to outlaw all walking in The Villages. Or we could sign a petition requiring The Developer to retrofit all streets with sidewalks which would require a $500 assessment per household. What do you guys think?
Old 12-25-2017, 10:32 AM
Default People with white canes

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Worse yet, is the person walking in the diamond lane WITH traffic. I see this all the time on Morse, Rio Grande and Del Mar. I will be interested in the discussion.
I too have seen many people walking in the cart lanes,What is really confusing is I have seen a couple of blind People walking in the lanes as well using a cane that usually signifies that they are blind on both Rio Grande and Del Mar.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:41 PM

No one has the 'right of way' in Florida. The law only says who must yield (give up) the right-of-way. Every driver, motorcyclist, moped rider, bicyclist and pedestrian must do everything possible to avoid a crash.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi33 View Post
No one has the 'right of way' in Florida. The law only says who must yield (give up) the right-of-way...
Do you not see the flaw in this 'logic'? How can you give up what you never had?
Old 12-25-2017, 02:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
No one has the 'right of way' in Florida. The law only says who must yield (give up) the right-of-way.
If one gives up the right of way, the other one has it. So I don't understand the statement.

Last edited by Marathon Man; 12-27-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Do you not see the flaw in this 'logic'? How can you give up what you never had?
No, pls explain
Old 12-26-2017, 08:44 PM

If you are a fleshy, and a metal car is coming your way, you may have the right of way in your mind, but if the metal car makes an error you are dead. Why not be safe and figure people coming towards you are Villages (and we have a bad nam4 for driving)...
Old 12-26-2017, 10:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
No, pls explain
Here's a quote from your post...

Quote:
No one has the 'right of way' in Florida. The law only says who must yield (give up) the right-of-way...
To give something up, you must have it in the first place. But you say "No one has the 'right of way' in Florida". Again, if no one has it, then how can they give it up? If you can't see the conundrum, it's your problem, not mine.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:57 PM
Veteran member
Default Safety walking or ????

We agree, the entire traffic scene is a bit scary. If walking or riding a bike, it seems to me,,,,,,,,,,,, BE VERY CAREFUL, BE AWARE AND BE READY TO TAKE EVASIVE ACTION. Do not be DEAD RIGHT!!!!
It seems this nice quiet golf cart community has now grown to a place where some clear, enforceable rules need to be understood and followed with some controls for sure. Walking and riding a bicycle is really a stressed situation unless you go somewhere that is better suited. So, find that place. Personally, we do not think it will be getting any better, and may get worse unless the Carts can be identified with a number so they can be reported. Just a starter of an idea, not popular though. There are some wild drivers out there, so do not make the mistake that Mr. Happy Hour Bandit will do the right thing at any time. OK, I know you do not want to hear this.
Closed Thread

Tags
walking, traffic, rules, accident, facing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.