Walking in the Villages

Closed Thread
Old 05-18-2020, 03:11 PM

We've been looking at developments in the Sarasota area. All of them have sidewalks on every street, both sides. It is absolutely horrid that Morse and company have not, considering our age, we need sidewalks.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:23 PM

Please remember some people may not see you because they are distracted, have poor vision, or poor judgement. I wish everyone followed Florida law and walk as you describe facing oncoming traffic. I've found it especially annoying when people walk with traffic and I have to cross the street to avoid them.
Old 05-18-2020, 05:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Op you are very cavalier about life. I am guessing you live alone, and have no family members to worry about
Old 05-18-2020, 05:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
We've had alot of bicycle and pedestrian traffic I guess due to the Covid virus. Between them, the golf carts, landscapers, delivery vans, and miscellaneous work vehicles, streets are on the dangerous side. We are using a treadmill for excercise, and an excercise bike is on the way.
There are countless exercise videos on YouTube for cardio workouts. There are plenty of beginner for seniors videos too. Most of them included walking and all sorts of other nice moves to keep you moving and walking. So nice and safe to exercise in air conditioning in your own living room. Win win.
Old 05-18-2020, 05:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
now let me understand what is being said. You want to walk in the way of golf carts . As I remember this is mostly an over 55 community some have poor vision, some can't hear, some with very poor reflex's. Some have the start of many physical problems. Sounds more like you are just looking to cause an accident.
That is exactly what I was thinking. When hubby and I walk outside, we walk only on side streets and stay clear of the golf carts. Golf carts ALWAYS have right of way in our minds. Those golf carts can kill us.

Last edited by coffeebean; 05-18-2020 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:05 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Our son jogs/walks about 5 - 6 miles a day five days a week. When he visited last fall, he made the comment that The Villages was a very dangerous place for him to exercise. Wife and I walk maybe a mile and half within the neighborhood and never considered it a problem. I suppose it’s different on a multi-modal path or jogging through a tunnel.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,080 Times in 2,746 Posts

If I was driving the golf cart I would gladly move into the auto traffic lane and go around you, assuming there were no cars coming up behind me. However, if there were cars coming up behind me (which the walker should be able to clearly observe), I would expect the walker to move to the left, out of the golf cart lane, so I could safely pass.

And some good advise to the OP, it is a very bad idea to play chicken with anything that is bigger than you. The law of physics says you will not win.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
You are living in a community that has an average age of 67 according to a Daily Sun article. How many of these senior drivers have poor eyesight or have trouble concentrating on their driving? I'm sure there are cart drivers who don't have a drivers license because of their physical or mental inability to safely operate a motor vehicle. And you want to play chicken with these drivers? What good will a large lawsuit award do you if you are dead or paralyzed because you wouldn't get out of the way?
You nailed it
Old 05-19-2020, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwittig1 View Post
I have been taking some long walks recently but find it is getting very dangerous. I try to use the residential streets and intermodal paths as much as possible but part of my walk takes me onto Enrique Drive where I have to use the golf cart lane because there are no sidewalks. I walk against traffic so I can see what is coming at me. 90% of the carts move over into the car lane to go around me but there is a brutal 10% who like to play "chicken" and don't want to move over. They drive right right at me and when they see I am not moving they swerve at the last second to avoid hitting me. Some yell insults as they go by. I believe walkers are entitled to use our streets just as much as the golf carts are. They seem to think that it is I who should jump off the street so they don't have to move. I will stand my ground on this and when I get hit my first call will be to Dan Newlin who I am confident will get me a bundle like he advertises.
...........or you could just avoid Enrique Drive altogether and stick to those streets that have sidewalks?? Why put yourself in harms way, just to prove a point?
Old 05-19-2020, 04:52 AM

Where theres a sidewalk, by law you are not permitted to walk on the street. When there isn't one, you better be more careful
Old 05-19-2020, 04:55 AM

Cov-19 Villages psychosis?
Old 05-19-2020, 05:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Sometimes, acceptable adjectives, nouns etc. are not nearly as effective as a good expletive!
Old 05-19-2020, 05:18 AM
Default Walking on golf cart paths

You can’t win. When the lawyers are finished and the cast comes off your leg you will remember that you may be right for the rest of your life.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:24 AM

What happened to common respect. I to am a walker even on rec paths there is a problem of getting hit
Old 05-19-2020, 05:32 AM

You might want to check the law regarding the multimodal paths.
Closed Thread

Tags
move, drive, golf, lane, walk

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.