Walking in the Villages

Closed Thread
Old 05-19-2020, 08:44 AM
Veteran member

Here's a good idea: Carry a baseball bat when you walk. If it looks like the cart isn't going to move, then assume the batter's position.

There are a lot of rude and crabby people here in the villages, but I think they are that way because they are unhappy or have severe aches and pains that make them that way.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:49 AM
Default Walking Streets

It is common in rural America that people, pedestrians, walk streets because there are no sidewalks. We were all taught to walk facing traffic and not leave your life in the hands of a vehicle driver.

Bicycles are also considered vehicles in Florida, even if they are on a sidewalk. In Florida pedestrians always have the right of way.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwittig1 View Post
I have been taking some long walks recently but find it is getting very dangerous. I try to use the residential streets and intermodal paths as much as possible but part of my walk takes me onto Enrique Drive where I have to use the golf cart lane because there are no sidewalks. I walk against traffic so I can see what is coming at me. 90% of the carts move over into the car lane to go around me but there is a brutal 10% who like to play "chicken" and don't want to move over. They drive right right at me and when they see I am not moving they swerve at the last second to avoid hitting me. Some yell insults as they go by. I believe walkers are entitled to use our streets just as much as the golf carts are. They seem to think that it is I who should jump off the street so they don't have to move. I will stand my ground on this and when I get hit my first call will be to Dan Newlin who I am confident will get me a bundle like he advertises.
now that you have given your intentions of a lawsuit ,if you do get hit the person who hit you might just back up over you repeatedly until you're dead
Old 05-19-2020, 09:00 AM

To me it’s simple. Why? Because I know the rules-laws ( I looked them up)... golf carts yield to cars, cars have right of way. Walkers yield to golf carts, carts have right of way.
Now, IF I can, do I get over into the cars lane if there are walkers blocking the multi path? Or even bikers. Yes. Common courtesy. Again though it’s IF I can.
No reason to get emotional. It’s a matter of laws and common sense.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:09 AM

I find it amazing that TV is such a pedestrian-unfriendly place. Seems like a little effort and money could rectify the problem and provide a safe and pleasant walking/jogging experience for everyone. I do recall that a woman walker was killed by a golf cart while walking on the golf cart track a couple of years ago. Trying to cross intersections when the sidewalk ends and you must choose between trying to run across the traffic or risk getting run over in the golf cart tunnel is a very unpleasant, unsafe choice.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:28 AM
Sage

As far as "walkability", on a scale of 1 to 10 The Villages scores about 3, in my opinion.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:02 AM

There so many beautiful walking paths and such in the Villages!!! U may have to drive there but what else do u have to do?? I am thinking of getting off this site because all people do is complain! There r people who would give anything to live here and can't! Why not share something good like a great walking path or area u have found instead of bitching about one road that YOU can't walk on!!!!! Some will never change no matter how good a life they have!! Could we just share happy things on here???
Old 05-19-2020, 10:08 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,361 Times in 1,455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drdoug49 View Post
TV with a lack of sidewalks is not very walker friendly. An over reliance on golf carts, is a contributing factor why most villagers, like most Americans are overweight and out of shape.
Seems most village residents just accept it with the resulting health problems and shortened lifespan.
Not true south of 44, miles and miles of hike & bike trails and they are heavily used by walkers and bike riders as well where allowed
Old 05-19-2020, 10:09 AM

If you enjoy walking so much why would you risk not being able to walk.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:13 AM
Default Multi Modal Paths

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwittig1 View Post
I have been taking some long walks recently but find it is getting very dangerous. I try to use the residential streets and intermodal paths as much as possible but part of my walk takes me onto Enrique Drive where I have to use the golf cart lane because there are no sidewalks. I walk against traffic so I can see what is coming at me. 90% of the carts move over into the car lane to go around me but there is a brutal 10% who like to play "chicken" and don't want to move over. They drive right right at me and when they see I am not moving they swerve at the last second to avoid hitting me. Some yell insults as they go by. I believe walkers are entitled to use our streets just as much as the golf carts are. They seem to think that it is I who should jump off the street so they don't have to move. I will stand my ground on this and when I get hit my first call will be to Dan Newlin who I am confident will get me a bundle like he advertises.
I do believe you are right to think that a multi modal path should Include walkers, who are in fact moving. However just because you are right doesn't mean you should do it. Don't be Dead Right! I would suggest you step off the path and keep walking in play to keep your heart up.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Funny....intentionally trying to get hit to meet Dan Newlin
Dan got me $47,000,000.
Thank you Dan! Lol
Old 05-19-2020, 10:29 AM

thank you
Old 05-19-2020, 11:02 AM
Default Ummmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDVeteran View Post
We've been looking at developments in the Sarasota area. All of them have sidewalks on every street, both sides. It is absolutely horrid that Morse and company have not, considering our age, we need sidewalks.
I agree wholeheartedly. Even inner cities (Manhattan for example) PLAN for sidewalks. Do the Powers that Be think we will walk through fields and over golf courses as a way to keep healthy? Or do they think we will all sign up for MVP time?

It is way past time to have the developers make sidewalks.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:07 AM
Default Ummm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choro&Swing View Post
I recommend buying a bicycle bell with a sound you like and screwing it or wiring it to a piece of wood or a walking stick and carrying it around with you. If you aren’t sure an oncoming cart driver sees you, ring the bell to get the driver’s attention. Or get one of those ooga horns with a rubber bulb and carry that. Or a boat air horn attached to a can of compressed air if you really want to startle the driver. Or you could buy a hand bell like old night-watchmen used to carry and ring it when you see a cart coming. You could even start crying out “Unclean! Unclean!” like a biblical leper. As others have said, don’t assume that any driver is NOT on autopilot while driving a golf cart. Some are! One is all it takes to take your life.
T O T A L L Y
Old 05-19-2020, 11:32 AM

Poor eyesight, souped up carts,( some doing 35mph+) Driving fast as they think there are not many folk around. I would not chance walking in the cart lane.

I tried to slow a cart down yesterday heading to Heron/Pelican Golf Courses, as there were Sandhill Cranes crossing the road... IF LOOKS COULD KILL I WOULD BE DEAD. No wonder we have so little natural wild life left.. yes I hear you, plenty of human wild life..... You MUST NOT separate anyone from their golf, even if it means killing a creature.... SHAME ON YOU MADAM......
Closed Thread

Tags
move, drive, golf, lane, walk

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.