Wall Lots

Closed Thread
Old 07-30-2012, 07:57 AM
Default Wall Lots

We just purchased a lot on a wall in Fernadina and are trying to think how we will landscape in front of it. We would like to be looking at beautiful flowers or greenery instead of the wall. I'm sure there are wonderful ideas from all of you out there that have had or currently have a wall and can share great ideas.
We love looking at ideas that people have shared by posting pictures.
So all you "wall people" how about about posting your wall pictures?
So excited to finally start the countdown to becoming a Frog!
Old 07-30-2012, 08:15 AM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James
Default Heat from the wall

We also have a wall running the length of our property. I am waiting to finishing my planting as they are building villa's on the other side and want to be sure the positioning of taller trees are just right in conjunction to where the villas will be placed. One thing I will tell you though, be very careful what you plant since the heat which comes off the wall needs to be considered. It has burned out my grass at the base of the wall and some plants which I have already planted seem affected also.
Thought you would like to know.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:56 AM
Gold member

Our CYV wall faces north (our lanai faces south), so it doesn't get that hot and have had no problems with plants burning out.

Vines make beautiful wall coverings. In a CYV, we are allowed to paint the walls, but don't believe you can do that to your side of the wall if you're in a designer or cottage/ranch/patio villa.

I have a Carolina jasmine on one part of the wall, and 2 creeping figs further down. In one corner I have a coral honeysuckle and on the fence sides (but you could just as well do it on the wall side) I have Confederate jasmine and also a mandevilla. I love vines but it is not a good idea to put vines too close to home walls or lanai walls, although if you used a trellis near your lanai and kept it trimmed, might be ok. Would be careful which vines I would put near a lanai or home - they can ruin stucco and creek inside vinyl siding very quickly.

I have morning glories on 2 trellises that are close to my neighbor's CYV - they don't seem to be as invasive and mostly stay on the trellises. Easy to pull off or cut back, plus they die back in hard freezes, which keeps them more under control. They reseed like crazy. Going to add moonflower vine to the same trellises so I have something blooming morning and night.

Use a trellis or fishing line to get it started or train it. I have the Carolina jessamine (also called Carolina Jasmine) going up fishing line on a post, then going over on some wall art, and also trained along more fishing line horizontally.

You do have to do some serious pruning occasionally as vines go crazy here.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

while playing on a course in spanish springs area there was a house that the wall had hand painted doors and windows with flowers and things..it looked so real that i had to walk over and make sure it wasn't real, sorry can't remember what course, but that would be a wall i would like to look at
Old 07-31-2012, 05:36 PM
Veteran member

Our house backs onto a wall in Charlotte. We've been here 6 months and had it landscaped in March, and it looks lovely. If you'd like to take a ride down (5 minutes, really) please PM me. I'd be happy to show you what was done with all drought friendly plantings.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.